Here's a new mini-LED that's super powerful

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Here's a new mini-LED that's super powerful

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 16, 2007 10:34 am

Was dinking around in the computer webpage this a.m. and found this new mini-LED light that seems to have all the bells and whistles that one needs. A little expensive, but...for you gadget freaks, this might be what you're looking for. :kewl:

http://www.eliteled.com/products/flashl ... -rb80.html
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Oct 16, 2007 4:17 pm

A guy was showing a 1xAAA version at the C/E session at Convention this year. I think he was actually running it off a Li-Ion cell (~3v) and it was almost ridiculously bright. Like brighter than a Stenlight when compared side-by-side. Seriously. Battery life is much better when run at a lower setting of course.

I mentioned the Fenix here on the forum a month or two ago, as a possible light for in-cave videoing (especially to compliment a helmet cam setup). Hmmm, maybe I need to get one of these for myself... :wink:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Fenix light

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 16, 2007 4:21 pm

Hey there Kiwi-man,

I'm not certain about this, but believe the Fenix light you wrote about was a little different model. It could be the same, but this was a 1-D I believe it was named. I didn't send the light comparison, but it was extremely bright! Something that a serious caver might want to have around his neck for a back-up.
:tonguecheek:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Oct 16, 2007 4:33 pm

Hi again Ernie,

Yeah, the L1D is what I wrote about earlier. However, according to the website you posted, there are 2 models of Fenix L1D - one with the super-duper Cree LED, and the other with the Luxeon. Strangely, they seem to have the same specs. I thought the Cree was more efficient than the Luxeon. I have also seen a near-identical flashlight called an Ultrafire L1D, which is half the price but much less efficient.

The model the guy had at Convention was the Fenix L0D with the Cree LED, by the way.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby caverdoc » Oct 16, 2007 5:06 pm

That web page had some pretty interesting stuff. Notably a 9LED UV light, which would come in handy in my clinic with all the strange skin stuff that I'm always being asked to diagnose.
May have to order some stuff.....ooooh, slipping off the gear wagon...

Dr Jay
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby incavenow » Oct 16, 2007 6:08 pm

I have two different Fenix lights. They're very bright and in comparing them to my sten light in a cave can see little or no difference.
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Name: Jeff Hudson
NSS #: 38762

Postby JoeyS » Oct 16, 2007 6:45 pm

caverdoc wrote:That web page had some pretty interesting stuff. Notably a 9LED UV light, which would come in handy in my clinic with all the strange skin stuff that I'm always being asked to diagnose.
May have to order some stuff.....ooooh, slipping off the gear wagon...

Dr Jay

2 words:
Business Expense
:woohoo:
Probably a whole lot cheaper than buying the same thing with a GE Medical(, etc..) sticker on it.
I've heard those fiber optic surgery headlamps are really bright..
*wonders if they're cave-worthy*

Ernie:
I have a Fenix L2D that's been strapped to my helmet for alot of cave trips since I bought it 9 months ago, and it's survived allot of punishment so far. The tail cap has been abraded down so much I had to rotate the flashlight before it eroded down to the clickie switch. Still works like new. I've had two Inova lights and a Mini mag 3 watt crap out before the Fenix. I think they are pretty rugged lights. They seem a bit pricey but they are less than half as much as a Surefire and they will outshine most any Surefire, plus you don't have to use those silly CR123's.

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Oct 17, 2007 5:50 pm

caverdoc wrote:May have to order some stuff.....ooooh, slipping off the gear wagon...

Dr Jay

Bad Jay! :nono: :tonguecheek:

JoeyS wrote:I have a Fenix L2D that's been strapped to my helmet for alot of cave trips since I bought it 9 months ago, and it's survived allot of punishment so far. The tail cap has been abraded down so much I had to rotate the flashlight before it eroded down to the clickie switch. Still works like new. I've had two Inova lights and a Mini mag 3 watt crap out before the Fenix. I think they are pretty rugged lights. They seem a bit pricey but they are less than half as much as a Surefire and they will outshine most any Surefire, plus you don't have to use those silly CR123's.

Amen! Thanks for the gear review, Joey. :kewl: And thanks for your comments too, incavenow. The L1D (single AA model) is definitely on my list...
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby CaveGimp » Oct 18, 2007 1:40 pm

I have a Fenix P3D, it runs off of 2 CR123A (I have the Apex Pro so I like the little guys). Its been in cave several times and works awesome. I carry it in my pocket and use it to spot. The L2D CE (2AA) and my P3D both outshine a unmidified Sten. Both brighter and a longer throw. The settings can be a bit confucing at first, having to twist the bezel to get to turbo mode, but its a great light. I got mine from http://www.fenix-store.com. His prices including shipping and he has a huge selection. Check out Candle Power Forums for tons of discussion on these lights.
CaveGimp
Frequent Poster

Name: Glenn Tooley
NSS #: 54570
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Arizona Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Oct 26, 2007 7:40 pm

...And I now have my own Fenix L1D (the single AA model, also from http://www.fenix-store.com).

This innocent-looking flashlight packs 90 lumens of punch and a freaky fast strobe mode. Arrrgh! I'm blind! :eyecrazy:

I hope to use it underground on Sunday.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Return to Equipment Forum