Caving Venture crew meetings

Share ideas and experiences, seek advice for leading youth groups underground. Also visit Youth Group Caving.

Moderators: amaddox, Moderators

Caving Venture crew meetings

Postby hardcorecaver » Oct 1, 2007 1:35 am

Hello
I am Lucas Middleton the President of Speleo Venture Crew 204. We are based out of Carlsbad,NM. I need so help on the meeting. What could i do at the meeting that are cave related that are intresting and fun for tennagers? thanks
Life good when you carbide caving.
hardcorecaver
Occasional Poster

Name: Lucas Middleton
NSS #: 56420
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pecos Valley Grotto

Postby amaddox » Oct 2, 2007 12:17 pm

That's a really good question. I'm not sure I have a good answer right off the bat, but tell me what you have been doing and has it worked for you guys? Are you planning and doing caving trips? Cave Photography, Surveying, rope work?

I'm sort of in your boat and having a rough time of it. Maybe we can toss a few ideas around and help each other out.

Allen Maddox
http://www.myspace.com/trailsitter
Allen Maddox
NSS Youth Group Liaison Committee, Chair

http://www.youcave.org/
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Postby speloman » Oct 2, 2007 2:03 pm

Maybe talk about cave, Conservation Etc. Knotts, Rigging, are always good and fun. Maybe even plan a Clean up of a easy cave or somthing. Just some Ideas.
Justin Gleason 48217RE
:looking: If you can't grow it, I mine it.
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Postby Phil Winkler » Oct 2, 2007 2:51 pm

I've found teens and younger really enjoy learning how to read a topo map and use a compass to find their location and how to get from Point A to Point B. Orienteering outside or even in a cave (like Anvil Cave) can be tons of fun especially if there are rewards for finding the correct route and destination.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Meeting activities

Postby cavedoc » Oct 2, 2007 4:25 pm

Make a squeeze box and let them work with it. Turns into a friendly competition that the little guy gets to win.
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Roger Mortimer
NSS #: 26529
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Joaquin Valley Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Oct 2, 2007 6:12 pm

Lucas,

If you're all done with the Parks Ranch project, maybe you could approach those local NPS guys to see if there is anything they might need help with? Aside from cleanups, there may be ongoing research projects that Scouts could learn about and provide assistance with. Projects like this could make a nice filler in addition to your regular program.

I like the previous program suggestions, particularly conservation, survey and ropework. For the more advanced audience, you could even look at adding some first aid and specific cave rescue training to the program. You have some local cavers that can probably be coerced into helping. :wink:

Good luck! :grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Re: Caving Venture crew meetings

Postby amaddox » Oct 10, 2007 5:53 pm

hardcorecaver wrote:Hello
I am Lucas Middleton the President of Speleo Venture Crew 204. We are based out of Carlsbad,NM. I need so help on the meeting. What could i do at the meeting that are cave related that are intresting and fun for tennagers? thanks

Lucas,
What's the average age of your Crew? Most of the youth members I've had contact with are about 18y/o. Mostly from HS Juniors to College Juniors.
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Return to Youth Groups Forum