2007 TAG Fall Cave-in

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby mgmills » Sep 27, 2007 12:43 pm

JoeyS wrote:Someone brought this up this morning: Will the small personal campfires be allowed this year? What about grills? I was planning to cook burgers Saturday...

I'm not an official spokesperson but from having been at the work weekend last weekend and hearing conversations I'd guess grills will be OK regardless. As for campfires, I'd say probably will be OK. . . there were campfires at the work weekend. If we don't get a bit of rain in the area I'd guess security may be monitoting the size of fires.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby incavenow » Sep 27, 2007 9:22 pm

Wendy- thanks very much for your posting of the map of the cave-in. I've been trying to find a good one.
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Name: Jeff Hudson
NSS #: 38762

Postby JoeyS » Sep 27, 2007 11:03 pm

So, I could go back and reread this whole thread, but for convenience could someone tell us (=me) when and where the cavechatters will be meeting up, if at all, Friday?

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby wendy » Sep 28, 2007 7:40 am

JoeyS wrote:So, I could go back and reread this whole thread, but for convenience could someone tell us (=me) when and where the cavechatters will be meeting up, if at all, Friday?

I think it was 8pm by the stage.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby graveleye » Sep 28, 2007 12:33 pm

so, is the radio station going to be operating this year?
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby wendy » Sep 29, 2007 12:21 pm

In case I didn't say it here, I will be on walkie talkie channel 9 for those that want to keep in touch while in the camp area

hopefully walter kronkite and billy bob will show up again this year
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Drum circle at TAG at the bonfire or nonfire?

Postby Ronaldo » Sep 29, 2007 7:18 pm

I am planning on doing some drumming with hand drums between sets 2 and 3 of the band on Saturday night at the Cave In with some friends. We had a great drum circle at convention and would like to get a good one going at TAG. I think between the second and third sets will be a good time to do it, that way we are not being noisy too late and a lot of folks will still be up. If anyone wants to join in please bring your djembe.

We will be in the main area near the bonfire :campfire:, or the nonfire :flamed:, which ever it is. I will have a couple extras drums and shakers...

Ron Adams :nuts:
Ronaldo
Frequent Poster

Re: Drum circle at TAG at the bonfire or nonfire?

Postby wendy » Sep 29, 2007 7:34 pm

Ronaldo wrote:I am planning on doing some drumming with hand drums between sets 2 and 3 of the band on Saturday night at the Cave In with some friends. We had a great drum circle at convention and would like to get a good one going at TAG. I think between the second and third sets will be a good time to do it, that way we are not being noisy too late and a lot of folks will still be up. If anyone wants to join in please bring your djembe.

We will be in the main area near the bonfire :campfire:, or the nonfire :flamed:, which ever it is. I will have a couple extras drums and shakers...

Don't forget that Friday night is open mic night on the stage and you may be able to do it then.

wendy
Global Moderator

Postby Ronaldo » Sep 29, 2007 8:06 pm

Wendy wrote: Don't forget that Friday night is open mic night on the stage and you may be able to do it then.

This will be a more informal low key type of sit in. I have several "egg shakers" rattles to pass out to folks. It is more for drummers than for an audience... but fun to just check out too...
Ronaldo
Ronaldo
Frequent Poster

Postby graveleye » Oct 1, 2007 8:09 am

cool, I might bring some of my jungle toys and join in.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Re: Drum circle at TAG at the bonfire or nonfire?

Postby caverjules » Oct 1, 2007 8:19 am

Ronaldo wrote:I am planning on doing some drumming with hand drums between sets 2 and 3 of the band on Saturday night at the Cave In with some friends. We had a great drum circle at convention... We will be in the main area near the bonfire :campfire:, or the nonfire :flamed:, which ever it is. I will have a couple extras drums and shakers...

I can't wait! I heard you guys playing that night at convention and stood off in the shadows and watched. I could have stayed there all night listening. Tell your friends and be there. This drum circle is not to be missed.
caverjules
Occasional Poster

Postby Casper » Oct 2, 2007 4:30 am

Any of the rain thats been falling here getting that far up North?
"Lets go exploring. If we find something unpleasant, at least it will be something new."
Casper
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 52370

Catching Caving Fever! :D

Postby tyme » Oct 2, 2007 9:14 am

Woo! Can't wait! Making last minute preparations tonight since tomorrow night is booked with work, then drive up on Thursday!

We're keeping an eye on the temps and can't wait to get out there. Just bought my wife an Ecrin helmet and a PT Corona. I'll dust off my trusty carbide lamp and canister of carbide and off we go!

This year I am also introducing our new housemates to caving and I'm sure they'll have a blast at the spa area too.

Anyone have any suggestions for large relatively easy passage caves for new folks? Traditionally I think our group used to take people to Crownover Saltpeter and Howards Waterfall, but I haven't been to those places in forever, so I'm not sure if they are still open or worth visiting. One request, at least one suggestion for caves should be able to fit a 6'5" big muscley guy, he wants to go out one of the days.

-Tyme
tyme
Infrequent Poster

SCCi activity At the TAG Fall Cave IN

Postby roger_haley » Oct 2, 2007 10:14 am

Hi All!
This is an exciting week in the history of the YOUR Southeastern Cave Conservancy.
What an incredible success story the SCCi is with close to 30 properties and 60 caves in just a dozen years
We have added 2 preserves since last year and are adding a major WELL KNOWN property to our preserves this year.

We GOT IT!!!

Come find out what IT is!
We have a big acquisition that we will be announcing Friday evening at TAG. It's fabulous! You
won't believe it

Show up at our booth at 8PM Friday night for the announcement!

"Come celebrate 12 years of successful cave acquisition with us in the
hospitality suite of our booth on Friday [After the announcement] and Saturday night.

And help ensure another 12 years of success:

--Buy a raffle ticket for a chance to win great prizes including ROPE!!!

--Participate in the Limrock, Wolf River and Fox Mountain Challenge Match: This weekend
only every dollar you give the SCCi will be matched 4 to 1 by some very
special friends of the SCCi!

--Take advantage our "half off" sale

--Purchase a vintage T-shirt celebrating caves whose mortgages we have
burned! Once these are gone these shirts are not being reprinted. Shirts are $15.

Help Buy and Protect Caves!
Your help is Greatly Appreciated!

All donations are tax-deductible in accordance with IRS rules for Charitable donations.

We GOT IT!!!

Stop by and see us!

Oh did I say; “We Got it”?
Find out what we GOT at 8PM in our booth.

Roger Haley
SCCi
Roger Haley
Huntsville, Alabama
roger_haley
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 29236FL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville

Re: Catching Caving Fever! :D

Postby wendy » Oct 2, 2007 5:39 pm

tyme wrote:Anyone have any suggestions for large relatively easy passage caves for new folks? Traditionally I think our group used to take people to Crownover Saltpeter and Howards Waterfall, but I haven't been to those places in forever, so I'm not sure if they are still open or worth visiting. One request, at least one suggestion for caves should be able to fit a 6'5" big muscley guy, he wants to go out one of the days.

-Tyme

Limrock Blowing Cave, I went last year, it's big and it's nice and easy.

wendy
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events