Waterproofing

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Waterproofing

Postby Caver1402 » Dec 4, 2005 2:55 pm

I have a friend who's going to help me waterproof some peanut butter jars, but I was just wondering what other people do out there. I've seen baby bottles being used before ... are those waterproof when you buy them? And naglene bottles are always waterproof, right?
Laura J. Lexander
NSS #52727 / Affiliated with the WCG, NNG, and IKC
CRF Eastern Operations Personnel Officer
http://lexanderfamily.com - Updated 07/28/09
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Laura J. Lexander
NSS #: 52727
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Windy City Grotto

Postby Phil Winkler » Dec 4, 2005 5:49 pm

Baby bottles are waterproof, but Nalgene bottles are more durable as well as waterproof. They also come in a wide variety of sizes unlike baby bottles.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby speloman » Dec 4, 2005 6:14 pm

I look at it this way if it can hold water in then it should keep it out. The Majority of the caves I go to are dry and I am most likely not going to get real wet or muddy. But I Double zip lock bag my stuff that way if I do get muddy or even wet if the cave is wet that year My stuff is safe to a extent. Not as durable as nalgene bottles, pelican cases or other methoods but hey it is a little bit of insurance. I hope this helps
Justin Gleason 48217RE
:looking: If you can't grow it, I mine it.
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 4, 2005 7:39 pm

speloman wrote:nalgene bottles, pelican cases or other methods
I used to use Nalgenes. They're great. So long as you don't overfill 'em and then are unable to screw the lid on properly..... :?
they are pretty darn waterproof and durable as the others have stated. But then I got to not liking the round shape for holding miscellaneous stuff. And they aren't so terrific for stuffing into a flattened Swaygo pack. And, now that lighting is improved (a few AAs for an LED instead of tons of carbide, tip cleaners, spare felts, or D cells), I use a little Otter box from IMO. And thanks to advice from my friends here on the NSS DB, I now use a flexible water "bag."
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Return to Equipment Forum