New deepest pit in Tennessee!!!!

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Postby Mike Cato » Aug 21, 2007 2:33 pm

:yawn:

This whole thread seems kinda premature.

Ahh, those impatient youngsters...
Mike Cato
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 51489
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville SCCi

Postby ACENTHAHOLE » Aug 21, 2007 2:51 pm

I have a feeling there is more flaming here than on TAGNet. I like that in a discussion forum. If you can't deal with other people's successes, then I can't help you, but please help yourself. What does that mean? Doesn't matter. I'm talking to myself now. I'm in arm chair caver heaven! :woohoo: Would you rather cavers kept everything great about caving a secret? I don't think so. You want to know about everything going down in the caving world. I just let you know about one of the biggest things happening in TAG.

Take pride in your fellow caver's accomplishments.
ACENTHAHOLE
Infrequent Poster

Acentahole

Postby Margie Haven » Aug 21, 2007 2:58 pm

ACENTAHOLE:
Well said, much respect for your thoughts on caving and my sentiment exactly. Peace. :thanks:
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself....
Margie Haven
Frequent Poster

Name: Margie Haven
NSS #: 61048
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga Grotto

Postby graveleye » Aug 21, 2007 3:45 pm

well, inquiring minds would like to know!! You can't expect to post up about some fantastic find, and the first person that wants to know about it gets the "nahh it's a secret" line!!! In the real world you might find yourself getting electric shocks til you talk!! :-)

More flaming here than TAGnet??? Surely you jest!! :grin:
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby ljthawk » Aug 21, 2007 3:46 pm

Congratulations. Are you updating TCS as you go?

L.J.
ljthawk
Frequent Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Aug 21, 2007 3:51 pm

I agree with Mike Cato and ACENTHAHOLE (interesting name btw). Understanding that things don't happen "over-night" in caving. Sure announcements of new discoveries, new leads, and all of that are exciting but for those of us who've been around for a while we know that eventually we'll know more.
Main Drain in Utah was a very carefully guarded secret and I was out of that loop for a while but eventually I found out about it a few weeks before the mainstream and still waited for THEIR announcement instead of spoiling the surprise. Kinda like telling someone the end of book 7 of Harry Potter when they were wanting to find out for themselves in their-own-good-time.
But yeah, I recall in my younger days of wanting to be in on the good-stuff as soon as I heard about it. Alas, I found out through trial and error that if I'm patient I'll know.
Now past my 30th year of caving I can wait. Was saying to myself in a calm arm-chair caver (which I'm not... yet) fashion upon reading about a new deep pit in TN... "hmm cool, guess I'll have to read about it in the NSS later."
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby ACENTHAHOLE » Aug 21, 2007 4:13 pm

graveleye wrote:well, inquiring minds would like to know!! You can't expect to post up about some fantastic find, and the first person that wants to know about it gets the "nahh it's a secret" line!!! In the real world you might find yourself getting electric shocks til you talk!! :-)

More flaming here than TAGnet??? Surely you jest!! :grin:

I believe I can post whatever I want as long as I follow the rules set forth by the moderators. As to what I expect, I expect questions, and I answered them to the best of my ability. In the real world, I hope I never run into you and the electric shock tactics you employ to extract information from fellow cavers.
ACENTHAHOLE
Infrequent Poster

Postby ACENTHAHOLE » Aug 21, 2007 4:13 pm

ljthawk wrote:Congratulations. Are you updating TCS as you go?

L.J.

We'll update it when the survey is complete.
ACENTHAHOLE
Infrequent Poster

Postby ACENTHAHOLE » Aug 21, 2007 4:42 pm

Ralph E. Powers wrote:I agree with Mike Cato and ACENTHAHOLE (interesting name btw). Understanding that things don't happen "over-night" in caving. Sure announcements of new discoveries, new leads, and all of that are exciting but for those of us who've been around for a while we know that eventually we'll know more.
Main Drain in Utah was a very carefully guarded secret and I was out of that loop for a while but eventually I found out about it a few weeks before the mainstream and still waited for THEIR announcement instead of spoiling the surprise. Kinda like telling someone the end of book 7 of Harry Potter when they were wanting to find out for themselves in their-own-good-time.
But yeah, I recall in my younger days of wanting to be in on the good-stuff as soon as I heard about it. Alas, I found out through trial and error that if I'm patient I'll know.
Now past my 30th year of caving I can wait. Was saying to myself in a calm arm-chair caver (which I'm not... yet) fashion upon reading about a new deep pit in TN... "hmm cool, guess I'll have to read about it in the NSS later."

The ACES are obligated to DCG to give a presentation and write an article in their publication when the project is finished in repayment of grant moneys received. For this reason I can only disclose so much information. In addition I am not the only member of our organization, therefore I cannot speak on behalf of them without their consent. As for your waiting to post something about Main Drain, I sincerely hope that you don't have the habit of posting information about other peoples finds without their permission. In my opinion it is a caving sin to disclose information about other peoples leads and speleo projects in this manner. The project we have been speaking of is well known about in the TAG caving community, and not because we spilled the beans, someone else took that liberty upon themselves, otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation. This project, in the beginning, was meant to be kept secret. No one knew that wasn't involved until the wrong person became involved. We don't know who that person is and we don't care anymore. That was nearly a year ago. Since then we've been hounded for this information and subsequently released it. In the process we have received a lot of support from our fellow cavers. It feels great when someone you respect and admire in the caving community comes up to you, a next generation caver, and shakes your hand, expressing their admiration for a young group of cavers willing to pick up where their generation left off. Were it not for them we would never have had the opportunities that we have to make history in the caving world. Therefore they deserve even more credit than I care to take.
ACENTHAHOLE
Infrequent Poster

Postby graveleye » Aug 21, 2007 5:13 pm

don't worry ACE, I am just funnin' you!! No shocks.

now the Chinese water torture... hmmm :question:
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby bill fish » Aug 21, 2007 5:45 pm

Hi

Hey, graveleye...could you email me at bllfs6@aol.com?

Cant get private messages to work! friggin puter!

Nothing to do with this thread besides the fact you might read my plea here!

Thanks!

And in context...I think that if you find a cave....you have a right to do any darn thing you want with it ....including not telling a soul....

Why anyone thinks they have an automatic right to know what someone knows is beyond me...

Blll
bill fish
Frequent Poster

Just to Clarify

Postby mikegreen » Aug 22, 2007 8:15 am

The pit is a total new rig point with previously unexplored passage leading to it. You even have a do a completely seperate pit just to get to it. Dont worry, it'll count according to Moni-standards.
mikegreen
New Poster

AHOLE

Postby Margie Haven » Aug 22, 2007 8:18 am

:bat sticker: Good Mornin' Ascenting one....... :waving:
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself....
Margie Haven
Frequent Poster

Name: Margie Haven
NSS #: 61048
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga Grotto

Re: New deepest pit in Tennessee!!!!

Postby hank moon » Aug 22, 2007 9:00 am

ACENTHAHOLE wrote:((Biting my tongue)). A grade 5 survey is on the way. Incidently the man in charge of surveying Mystery Falls is also involved in this exploration, in fact he is one of our chief surveyors, and he confirms it.

Hey Holeyman

Thanks for biting your tongue! I don't *truly* doubt the depth record...just have a tender spot in my heart for Mystery. Viva 'sploration and can't wait for more details...

K, i can wait :tonguecheek:

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaveres » Aug 22, 2007 9:52 am

Good to hear yall finally got a ft # on that pit. I was wondering about that pit the other day.
By the way Very COOL find!!!!! :kewl:
Can't get enough!!
tncaveres
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext

Return to On Rope!