Bats in my house

Please post all bat-related stories, discussions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Bobatnathrop » Apr 27, 2007 7:52 pm

I am still going to have to go with the big fly swatter solution...Maybe even get one of those that has some current running through it. :panic:
Bobatnathrop
Frequent Poster

Postby icave » Apr 30, 2007 1:24 pm

Bobatnathrop wrote:I am still going to have to go with the big fly swatter solution...Maybe even get one of those that has some current running through it.

I'll pass on that for the bats....But if they could make one deer sized...

On a different note, a dove has now decided to nest on the trim right about the front door to the house. Boy, we must have the worlds most critter friendly house.
Signature, I don't need no stinkin signature!
icave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Spencer
NSS #: 48165
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Allentown Grotto

Postby Bobatnathrop » May 1, 2007 7:33 pm

icave wrote:
Bobatnathrop wrote:I am still going to have to go with the big fly swatter solution...Maybe even get one of those that has some current running through it.

I'll pass on that for the bats....But if they could make one deer sized...

On a different note, a dove has now decided to nest on the trim right about the front door to the house. Boy, we must have the worlds most critter friendly house.

OMG its the mod mentality! Let one little cute bat stay in your house and pretty soon you will have thousands of little flying critters.

But no really, I am just messing around. I would never hurt an animal, and I am just spamming in a topic that I have nothing to add too...
Bobatnathrop
Frequent Poster

3,500 Lbs. of Bat Guano Found in Attic

Postby monicak » May 3, 2007 12:12 pm

http://www.comcast.net/news/strange/index.jsp?cat=STRANGE&fn=/2007/05/03/653248.html&cvqh=itn_batgauno

Bat Problem?

3,500 Lbs. of Bat Guano Found in Attic
By Associated Press
3 hours ago

BALLSTON SPA, N.Y. - An upstate New York couple didn't think a few bats in the attic were much of a problem when they were buying a house last summer.

Months later, they found out how wrong they were when they discovered more than a ton and a half of bat droppings up there.
monicak
Occasional Poster

Postby icave » May 3, 2007 1:28 pm

Bobatnathrop wrote:OMG its the mod mentality! Let one little cute bat stay in your house and pretty soon you will have thousands of little flying critters.

For reference, it's a bit late for that...we alread have deer, rabbits, ground hogs, tons of birds, termites (evicted), powder post beetles (evicted), carpenter ants (evicted), other misc. multilegged creatures (some evicted, some ate some of the others). I swear some days it really does feel like wild kingdom at our house!

Got to love comming home and seeing 15 deer lying in the back yard, while a rabbit chops some grass and birds fly about. Almost hit a 6 point buck in the drive ways a few months ago.

Did I mention that our house only sits on a 65 ft x 125 ft lot!!!!
icave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Bats in House Update

Postby icave » May 7, 2007 5:09 pm

I guess they had not all returned from vacation when I first counted. Last night I counted over 135 little browns.

Anyone know how much guano 130-150 little brown bats make in one summer? :hairpull:
icave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Bats in House Update

Postby Grandpa Caver » May 7, 2007 6:26 pm

icave wrote:I guess they had not all returned from vacation when I first counted. Last night I counted over 135 little browns.

Anyone know how much guano 130-150 little brown bats make in one summer? :hairpull:

Just throw a tarp under the roost and collect some free fertilizer.

Seriously though, might there be some kind of deterrent such as, an areosol spray to make the roost too "stinky" for them? Perhaps a radio or fan temporarily placed near the roost would disturb them enough to make them want to relocate.

Just a couple idle thoughts.
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Bat Removal - Techniques

Postby critterman » Aug 7, 2007 6:05 pm

Tennis rackets, baseball bats, and the occasional golf club have all swung into action at one point or another in humanity’s battle against the bat, and the sporting goods of choice aren’t always on the mark. There are better ways to get bats out of unwanted places. For instructions for humane removal techniques see: http://www.crittercatchersinc.com/critt ... usion.html
critterman
New Poster

135 bats

Postby John Chenger » Aug 20, 2007 12:15 am

ugh... that's bad.

For do it yourself info:

http://www.batmanagement.com

PA based.

JC
John Chenger
Prolific Poster

Previous