Dead Cow in back entrance of Stillhouse Cave, WV

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Todd » Aug 9, 2007 2:07 am

I'd help too, if it needs fencing. I'd been led to believe that whoever owns the land has been OK with cavers visiting Stillhouse and the Sinks, so it would be a good gesture to return the kindness and help keep the cows from falling in there, if that's really what happened.
I have no idea who's farm it is, but I can ask around and see if anyone in my grotto knows.
If I recall, the rocks come right up to the surface around the pit, so there might not be more than a few inches of soil to put fence posts in.
Todd
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 48351

Postby Jep » Aug 9, 2007 12:18 pm

Three 14' cattle panels and about 6-7 t-posts would be all that would be needed. However, then cavers would either have to climb over the panels or make it so that you could squeeze through the panels between two posts. Total cost would be probalby less than $75.

I'd check with the owner before I put up the fencing, though. Jep.
Jep
Prolific Poster

Postby thermopyle » Aug 9, 2007 8:46 pm

I think I read somethere that at least with Gandy, there's a different landowner for each end, like one side of the road is owned by someone else than the other.

edit: here it is

http://www.wvhighlands.org/wv_voice/?p=15

"The Teter Family owns the farm at the upstream entrance and the Tinglers own the exit."

Hope that helps...

t
thermopyle
Occasional Poster

Postby MUD » Aug 14, 2007 11:48 am

Yessum, Stillhouse cave is privately owned, as is Sinks of Gandy. I have a friend who works for the Monongahela National Forest and she confirmed the forest boundaries for me. Now I'm in search of the private landowner....I'll then see if they'll allow us cavers to install a fence around the hole. I'm going to try to set this up for OTR weekend....I'll let y'all know if this will happen! :waving:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby MoonshineR DavE » Aug 14, 2007 12:21 pm

Sounds good Mud. :grin:
MoonshineR DavE
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby adleedy » Aug 14, 2007 12:27 pm

yeah, deff. let us know mud, id be more than happy to help
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

SAVE CAVE RIVERS http://WWW.8RIVERSSAFEDEVELOPMENT.COM
adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: alan dwayne leedy
NSS #: 56663
Primary Grotto Affiliation: charleston grotto + ERVKET

Postby karsthuntr » Aug 14, 2007 9:26 pm

My father-in law lives right there. I will ask him tomorrow who owns that entrance. I don't think its Donley Teter that owns that field, but I will find out tomorrow.
ER-NCRC Sub-regional Coordinator

http://www.er-ncrc.org
karsthuntr
Infrequent Poster

Postby karsthuntr » Aug 15, 2007 5:26 pm

My FIL says the Tinglers own the "Groundhog" entrance to Stillhouse. As far as he knows Lois Tingler lives in Elkins somewhere.

karsthuntr
Infrequent Poster

Postby Sean Ryan » Aug 15, 2007 6:46 pm

I'm hoping to go to Sinks of Gandy at OTR this year with my cave-averse girlfriend, since it's a cool yet not-scary cave, and possibly Stillhouse. I've been to Sinks, but Stillhouse would be a new cave for me. Knowing there's a dead, funky cow at the bottom is a little weight toward seeking out another trip. I'm certainly not going to invite Jen down into the dead cow palace.
Sean Ryan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Aug 16, 2007 11:02 am

Thanx fer the info karsthuntr! :kewl: I got a freind in Elkins that may be able to help.

Sean....The other entrance to Stillhouse is easily accessible and is worth a look! There are some nice big rooms and it's a very easy trip to see them!

The Sinks and Stillhouse are great caves in a very beautiful area of W.V.
Makes for a good relaxing day of caving and sightseeing. :grin:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Aug 26, 2007 9:02 am

Wanted to let you all know....I'm not havin' much luck findin' the owner of the back entrance to Stillhouse. :hairpull: When I get to OTR I will be over there searchin'! Someone over there will know....hopefully!
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Sean Ryan » Sep 13, 2007 3:52 pm

I went to OTR, and went to Stillhouse and Sinks with my girlfriend. I can confirm that Stillhouse REEKS, especially that small entrance visible from the road. I did the through trip and came out the non-stinky entrance. My girlfriend and I had brought noodles - five foot long foam pool toys - as flotation devices for swimming out of Sinks. That also became the measuring stick for how close I could come to her while I stank of Stillhouse. There were flies crawling on me like I was the dead cow, even deep into Sinks. That cleansing swim was well needed.
Sean Ryan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MoonshineR DavE » Sep 13, 2007 6:39 pm

Cavemud and I went to Stillhouse also and I will have to agree with ya it did stink! 3 guys from our group did manage to go out that way but I don't know how.
MoonshineR DavE
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby karsthuntr » Sep 19, 2007 4:50 pm

Cavemud wrote:Wanted to let you all know....I'm not havin' much luck findin' the owner of the back entrance to Stillhouse. :hairpull: When I get to OTR I will be over there searchin'! Someone over there will know....hopefully!

I have the cave owner name and phone number if you haven't found it yet. Send me an e-mail and I'll give it to you.

Scott Davis

karsthuntr
Infrequent Poster

Re: Dead Cow in back entrance of Stillhouse Cave, WV

Postby eddie76 » Jun 4, 2008 8:43 am

My family owns the property where the Sinks of Gandy exits: Tingler/Simmons, we do not need anyone to erect fencing to safeguard the cows....the cows take care of themselves. Your thoughts and suggested actions are appreciated and considerate; however, not needed and the fencing would be dismantled once discovered. KES
eddie76
Infrequent Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Conservation Forum