How to add photos to your posts

Please check this section for any important announcements regarding the NSS discussion board.

Moderator: Moderators

How to add photos to your posts

Postby Wayne Harrison » Sep 12, 2005 4:26 pm

You must have the photo on your computer to start (if it's in your hand, it won't work).

Click on the "upload image" button in the rows of buttons above this post. You'll get a little pop-up box that has a "browse" button. Browse your computer for the picture and hit "Upload". The picture will be uploaded to a third-party (free) hosting site.

For very large images, DON'T copy the direct link to the image, as it will insert the large picture in your post and some people have dial-up, or slow connections and can't view it easily.

If it's a large picture, copy the "Thumbnail for forums (1)" code and paste it into your post:

This way, you get a small thumbnail in your post that people can click on to get the larger picture.

The "code" that is on the upload page looks like this, if you're interested:

Code: Select all
[URL=http://img399.imageshack.us/my.php?image=34932508l9gc.jpg][IMG]http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/7205/34932508l9gc.th.jpg[/IMG]
[/URL]

You must have BBCode turned on in your profile, or the post you want it in so that it will show. Just make sure "Disable BBCode in this post" is not checked in the list below the post you are editing.

We're using a third-party host to upload photos so the NSS server doesn't get bogged down with lots of images. Using ImageShack, it's fairly easy to upload, COPY and PASTE the code into your post!
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby kvart » Sep 14, 2005 8:09 am

Wayne,
When I click on the IMG button, all I get is [img] inserted into the post.....no pop up browser. HTML and BB codes are "on".
kvart

NSS #: 32846

Postby Squirrel Girl » Sep 14, 2005 8:25 am

It depends on which computer I use as to how it acts. I just manually type in the [X] [/X] anymore for the most part.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby kvart » Sep 14, 2005 8:46 am

Squirrel Girl wrote:It depends on which computer I use as to how it acts. I just manually type in the [X] [/X] anymore for the most part.

Yes, I can manually type in the codes too....but in the [img] case, there is no upload button either.

[/list]
kvart

NSS #: 32846

Postby Wayne Harrison » Sep 14, 2005 9:10 am

kvart, there are two ways to do it with the Img button:

1) type the URL (web address) of the image in your post, highlight it by clicking and dragging your mouse over it and -- making sure it is still highlighted -- clicking Img. That will put the [img]and[/img] tags on each side.

2) Click the Img button and it will put a [img]that%20needs%20to%20go%20on%20the%20front%20end%20of%20the%20URL%20and%20then%20you%20have%20to%20click%20"Close%20Tags"%20to%20get%20the[/img] for the back end.

From your description, it sounds like you only had the front tag. As Barbara said, you can also just type them manually.

The "Upload" button is above the blue bar, below Cavechat.org and says "Upload Image"
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ian mckenzie » Dec 1, 2005 5:08 pm

My computer at work has certain restrictions on accessing the internet, and the 'upload image' function is blocked for me. The 'old' board had a much simpler method if I recall. Is there some trick where I can insert an image into a post off my computer directly?
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby Wayne Harrison » Dec 1, 2005 5:23 pm

There's no "trick" to uploading an image. You don't have to upload it to the free server that is linked in the upload button, you can upload it to ANY place on the Internet and then use the link (URL) in your post with an Img tag from the buttons you see when you are composing a message.

So, if you have a place you have your personal images stored on the Internet, in most cases you can link to that image and see it in your post.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Please Read