Expedition caving packs

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Expedition caving packs

Postby Vertigo » Aug 2, 2007 2:41 pm

What caving packs would you suggest for expedition type trips underground? I need something large enough to carry a wetsuit, vertical and rigging gear, sleeping bag/mat and all the regular caving gear normally carried. I haven't really figured out what packs would be suitable. I've looked at a lot of packs, but I'm still not sure what would work well. :hairpull:
Vertigo
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tim White » Aug 2, 2007 3:03 pm

I use a Yates big wall haul bag. Metolius and Black Diamond also has them. GGG make cave specific expedition bags.
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Wall bags

Postby cavedoc » Aug 2, 2007 3:22 pm

Tim White wrote:I use a Yates big wall haul bag. Metolius and Black Diamond also has them. GGG make cave specific expedition bags.

Ditto the wall bag idea. I use an A5 version. Holds a sleeping bag etc. Shoulder straps but not too many loops to catch. Built to be dragged over rocks all day.
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Roger Mortimer
NSS #: 26529
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Joaquin Valley Grotto

Postby JoeyS » Aug 2, 2007 4:46 pm

Also Petzl and Meander make some cave-specific big bags with shoulder straps and haul handles as well. I think that Inner Mountain Outfitters carries both, as well as the big Gonzo Guano Gear (GGG) packs.

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby FiddleCaver » Aug 2, 2007 6:54 pm

Sometimes we haul gear in flexible drainage pipe. We call them worms. Just stuff your things in drybags and then stuff it in the pipe. You could drag one of those through hell and back. And the best part is, it's a LOT cheaper than any of those nylon packs. Here's the stuff I'm talking about

Allen NSS#57424
FiddleCaver
Prolific Poster

Postby JoeyS » Aug 2, 2007 10:19 pm

FiddleCaver wrote:Sometimes we haul gear in flexible drainage pipe. We call them worms. Just stuff your things in drybags and then stuff it in the pipe. You could drag one of those through hell and back. And the best part is, it's a LOT cheaper than any of those nylon packs. Here's the stuff I'm talking about

Hey, that's a pretty cool idea, Fiddle. Do you use 6" pipe? How long is the typical "worm"?

NSS #: 57719

Postby FiddleCaver » Aug 2, 2007 10:25 pm

Usually 6" or 8" pipe. Any bigger and it becomes hard to get it through the squeezes. We made one for carrying some reflective flash umbrellas a while back, something like 4' long. It worked great. And you'd be really surprised at how comfortable they are to carry on your back with a sling over one shoulder.
Allen NSS#57424
FiddleCaver
Prolific Poster

Postby KENTO » Aug 6, 2007 6:21 pm

FiddleCaver wrote:Sometimes we haul gear in flexible drainage pipe. We call them worms. Just stuff your things in drybags and then stuff it in the pipe. You could drag one of those through hell and back. And the best part is, it's a LOT cheaper than any of those nylon packs. Here's the stuff I'm talking about

Wow a modern day light weight plastic " Gurnee Can " That is an easy solution...Home Depot here I come
KENTO
Prolific Poster

NSS #: #18,986
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BloomingtonIndiana Grotto

Postby cavescom » Aug 6, 2007 6:32 pm

I have a Metolius bag nice for hauling lots of gear http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/produ ... 373/N/1025
but the "Vampire" pack by http://www.howiesharnesses.com or http://tinyurl.com/yumfp9 is about all I use and can fit camp gear....sleeping bag...pad...food...vertical gear etc.

Send me an email mark@cavediggers.com and I will tell you specifics on how to order it from Howie....the material is bombproof.

Mark Passerby, Cavediggers.com

Last edited by cavescom on Sep 7, 2007 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cavescom
Prolific Poster

Postby Marbry » Aug 10, 2007 1:32 am

That would be great for hauling tanks. There would be enough room to slide the tanks in with the closed cell foam around them.

Do you plug the bottom end somehow or just rely on the friction to keep your drybags in there?
Marbry
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 27221

Return to Equipment Forum