questionn.....to all caver

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

questionn.....to all caver

Postby Lurah_GB » Jul 21, 2007 7:31 am

does'n any caver coking in cave? what equiptment...to cook..in cave?

i use this ...trangia cooking equipment

more safety

or download this

http://www.trangia.se/english/2942.brochure_in_pdf.html
:exactly:
Lurah_GB
Occasional Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jul 21, 2007 8:44 am

I bought a JetBoil system and have nothing but praises for it. For fast easy set up and cooking freezed dried stuff and ramen or just for hot water. Everything compacts into the main cooker. A great idea and it doesn't eat up too much space in the pack.
But I've rarely had to actually COOK in a cave. Still if I know I'm going to be doing so this is the one I'll be pulling out of my pack. :kewl:

Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Re: questionn.....to all caver

Postby Martin Sluka » Jul 21, 2007 12:34 pm

Lurah_GB wrote:does'n any caver coking in cave? what equiptment...to cook..in cave?

If I may advice - try titanium cooking pots. Expensive, but extremely light and what is quite important titanium is bad heat conductor what means that after several seconds after cooking you may drink from it.

There is no problem with transfer of heat from heater because titanium is very thin.

A cup of hot tea is the best think in long surveying trip.
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Martin Sluka
NSS #: 29010

Postby Lurah_GB » Jul 21, 2007 6:39 pm

have any recomend....

for low emisi...low polution...

fast...n more simple
Lurah_GB
Occasional Poster

Postby lenslover2003 » Jul 21, 2007 8:08 pm

For cooking in a cave,I highly recommend the Esbit Stove. It's small,not easily damaged,and has enough room inside for two fuel tablets,and a lighter. I don't use any other cooking pots......I just put a can of soup on it,and stir until warm. Nothing like a decent hot meal,to really cheer you up,and to warm you up,if needed. After you are done,just smash the can,and into a Zip-Loc bag. No cleanup needed.
Blessed are the cracked......for they shall let in the light.......
lenslover2003
Frequent Poster

Postby Rick Brinkman » Jul 21, 2007 11:55 pm

Although I haven't cooked in a cave yet, I have a White Box Stove and I've been looking into Freezer Bag Cooking.

I'm getting tired of pepperoni and granola bars. :nuts:
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

thanks

Postby Lurah_GB » Jul 22, 2007 11:44 am

keep posting
Lurah_GB
Occasional Poster

Postby Keith K » Jul 22, 2007 12:29 pm

Ralph E. Powers wrote:I bought a JetBoil system and have nothing but praises for it. For fast easy set up and cooking freezed dried stuff and ramen or just for hot water. Everything compacts into the main cooker. A great idea and it doesn't eat up too much space in the pack.
But I've rarely had to actually COOK in a cave. Still if I know I'm going to be doing so this is the one I'll be pulling out of my pack. :kewl:

I would be worried with the pot getting tweaked or crushed in the cave pack and having trouble removing the components to cook or repacking. Otherwise this is a great stove. The only problem I have had with mine is trying to use it after the fuel can gets to cold. No soup for you.
Keith K
Occasional Poster

Postby adleedy » Jul 22, 2007 9:34 pm

hmmm for actual cooking i would stay away from the jetboil, its great for what is says "boiling" but thats about it. When camping i always use an MSR Dragonfly stove and GSI anodized aluminum pots, Boils water faster than a jet boil, and simmers better than any other light weight camp stove.
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

SAVE CAVE RIVERS http://WWW.8RIVERSSAFEDEVELOPMENT.COM
adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: alan dwayne leedy
NSS #: 56663
Primary Grotto Affiliation: charleston grotto + ERVKET

Postby JoeyS » Jul 23, 2007 8:03 am

If I wanted hot food in cave, I think I'd just take along the main entree and heater bag out of an MRE rather than toting a stove. You just gotta be careful to keep the heater bag dry until use. The MRE's taste a whole lot better than any freeze dried meal I ever had.

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby YuccaPatrol » Jul 24, 2007 9:48 am

This past winter I carried a thermos full of hot canned ravioli with me into the caves. Was a real nice pick me up to have a warm meal.
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby Komebeaux » Jul 24, 2007 12:56 pm

JoeyS wrote:If I wanted hot food in cave, I think I'd just take along the main entree and heater bag out of an MRE rather than toting a stove. You just gotta be careful to keep the heater bag dry until use. The MRE's taste a whole lot better than any freeze dried meal I ever had.

I caved with a guy that brought an MRE not long ago. He boiled up some spaghetti right there in the bag. The cave smelled like spaghetti-O's on the way out!
Komebeaux
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Danny Cumbo
NSS #: 58430

Postby hank moon » Jul 24, 2007 2:37 pm

When i cook in canyons, i generally use the Trangia or Nesbit. Light, bomber, etc. You can also make your own alchol stove.

http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm
http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/penny.html#

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Lava » Aug 3, 2007 3:09 pm

Ralph E. Powers wrote:I bought a JetBoil system and have nothing but praises for it. For fast easy set up and cooking freezed dried stuff and ramen or just for hot water. Everything compacts into the main cooker. A great idea and it doesn't eat up too much space in the pack.

I just got back from using a Jetboil in a cave for eight days. Have to say I was very unimpressed with it (sorry Ron!). The one good thing I have to say about it was that it boiled water very quickly. Other than that it was totally huge and bulky, came with a ton of fiddly pieces (neoprene sleeve, plastic lid, cuppy-bottom thingie), and was difficult to turn off if your water started boiling over.

I will take my MSR pocket rocket, mini iso canister and Ti cup any day.
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Postby ooohfishy » Sep 3, 2007 3:38 am

For a few years now I've been using the Primus Techno Trail stove (or the older version of this) and fits nicely in my Snowpeak Titanium 3-Piece Cookset... (paking the fuel seperately). And I don't know why but I think I've been experiencing a slightly metallic taste in my oatmeal lately... but not in the freeze dried foods (highly recommend Mountain House brand :)). I don't think titanium really goes bad. Mine is discolored (because of use) but I read that it's not harmful for consumption and to the product.

Snowpeak 3-piece: http://www.rei.com/product/660003
Primus stove: http://www.rei.com/product/737214

The stove fits in the small cup/bowl of the 3-piece set.
ooohfishy
Frequent Poster

Next

Return to Equipment Forum