Raumer Stick-Up directions & Illustration

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Raumer Stick-Up directions & Illustration

Postby cavescom » Jun 16, 2007 11:36 pm

Published with permission from Raumer. Note I have one of the newest models of the Raumer Stick-Up ordered
and will post some step by step pictures of the actual device in use. You will notice that the upper biner on this new model has been replaced with a piece of rope.

“STICK-UP” ARTIFICIAL CLIMBING SYSTEM

The “STICK-UP” artificial climbing system is a method which makes it possible to climb in complete safety both on walls in the open and on
cave pit walls, effortlessly and very quickly (average speed 30 m/hour).
In order to do this you need an electropneumatic drill with storage battery.

The climbing system requires the use of the following items:
1. One “STICK-UP” superlight alloy bar (provided with a piece of rope 50 cm. long), art. 201;
2. One special stirrup, art. 202;
3. The small “ALIEN” plate with two holes, art.118;
4. The “SPEEDY ROCK” hang fix acc.M8C/M8L, art. 123/124.

You must comply with the following instructions to climb safely:
• There must be at least two people; one carries out the real climb, while the other holds the safety rope (either
by means of a GRI-GRI, or of a figure-8 descender, or with another suitable means);

Note: It is also possible to climb solo using a Gri-Gri as a safety device, for example. It goes without saying that
only people of proven experience and high-level technical skill should do so. Nevertheless we absolutely advise
against solo climbs, given the high risk this entails. Those who decide to do so just the same must accept all
the responsibility with full awareness of the risks they are running.

• You must use a good dynamic rope, CE or/and UIAA approved, as a safety rope and use a static rope for the
descents (to recover plates, change climber, replace batteries, etc.);

• You must have the complete climb kit which includes:
- One “STICK-UP” bar complete with a special stirrup: in particular, the length of the first step (fig. 6, part A)
and of the short stirrup (fig. 6, part B) must be as shown in the figure 6. It is possible to find the right length
for your own stature by lengthening or shortening the position of the knots below the two steps. The special
stirrup is also provided with a "big stirrup" (fig. 6, part D) connected to the bottom step of the stirrup and
usable in the sequential progression of the STICK-UP method.
The “STICK-UP” bar must be fitted out with 2 parallel alloy karabiners without metal-ring as specified in figure 6.
- At least twelve small “ALIEN” plates (art. 118) with two holes.
- A sufficient number of HANG FIX for the planned climb (arts. 123 – 124).
- At least twelve alloy karabiners with metal ring (CR = 25 KN min.) to be used for the safety rope.
- A static service rope.
- A drill with drill-bit and batteries (charged), a hammer with a hexagonal box wrench n. 13 (an ACTION
stainless steel hammer. art. 100 is ideal) and the whole kit for a rope climb (with the descender!).

“STICK-UP” CLIMBING METHOD: DIRECTIONS

1. When you have tested the rock with the hammer, make a hole with the drill at a fairly convenient height for fixing the
HANG FIX . The STICK-UP bar and stirrup must be positioned as shown in figure 1.
2. Drive in the selected HANG FIX and tighten the nut using the hammer wrench. IMPORTANT NOTE: Before starting the
climb you should put the HANG FIX into the hole in the ALIEN plate and position the M8 nut in such a way that you don't
have to carry out this operation on the wall. If you prepare at least a dozen ALIEN plates in this way you will save
yourself a lot of trouble and gain a lot of time overall.
3. Insert a safety karabiner into the lower hole of the small ALIEN plate. Get the safety rope from your companion and
pass it into the safety karabiner, and then close the protection ring.
4. Remove the karabiner of the "big stirrup”" from the safety karabiner and hook it back on the karabiner as soon as
you have arranged it.
5. Warn your companion to tension the safety rope and, when you have unhooked from the bar you are suspended from,
slipping the piece of rope of the bar off the ventral blocking, climb with one foot on the step of the "big stirrup",
supporting it and keeping it in equilibrium with one hand on the knot of the "big stirrup" (see fig. 2). Now that it no
longer bears your weight, the bar can be removed easily from its anchorage and repositioned on the ALIEN plate just
prepared, inserting the middle karabiner into the top hole. Plaque ALIEN (pictures 2 and 4/A)
6. At this point, climb the stirrup with the three steps, place your feet respectively in the last step of the stirrup and of
the short stirrup (figs. 4 and 5), and fasten yourself to the bar running the piece of rope of the bar through the
ventral blocking as shown in the figures 4 and a/A.
7. Now repeat the procedure from point 1 (fig.5).

NOTE: The safety rope must be fastened to the MAVC (semi-round fastening link of the harness) by means of a figure-8 knot made as
shown in figure 4/A.
Once you have used up all the small plates, fix the static service rope to the last hang fix you have driven into the rock and, without
unfastening yourself from the safety rope, climb down with the descender and recover the small plates no longer in use, taking care to
leave the last two or three in place in the wall (to be used for the safety rope!). When you resume climbing, you can return to the limit
previously reached by climbing with the descender on the static service rope, secured by means of your companion's dynamic rope.

CAUTION! Before trying to tackle such artificial climbs you need to be trained in appropriate gyms by skilled and qualified experts.
Caving, climbing, rope descents, exploration and ascents using the method described above are hazardous activities which can give rise to
serious accidents, including fatal ones.
You must learn the proper techniques and safety procedures under your own responsibility for all the damage, injuries or death which may
arise with the use of our products, whatever they may be, including the STICK-UP model.
If you are unable to assume this responsibility or to take these risks, DO NOT use this material.
RAUMER Srl disclaims all responsibility for accidents caused, either directly or indirectly, by the use of the above described system.
The use of such vanguard techniques requires professionalism and care on the part of climbers.

MATERIALS EMPLOYED AND SPECIFICATIONS: Air-hardening EURAL 7003 light alloy, anodized in a variety of vivid colours.
Mushroom-shaped plugs of the ends made of antiabrasion fibreglass-reinforced nylon.
Weight: 865 grams(30.5 ounces)-- (bar + stirrup).
Raumer Contact info.
c/o Mara
RAUMER S.r.l. - u.s.
Via Lago di Lesina, 15/B
36015 SCHIO (VICENZA)
info@raumerclimbing.com
tel./fax 0039 0445 575993

Illustration can be seen full size at http://www.cavediggers.com/StickUpIllustrationNew.jpg

Mark Passerby, Cavediggers.com
Last edited by cavescom on Apr 3, 2008 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cavescom
Prolific Poster

Re: Raumer Stick-Up directions & Illustration

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jun 17, 2007 12:19 pm

cavescom wrote:
Illustration can be seen full size at http://www.caves.com/StickUpIllustrationNew.jpg

What? That illustration (above) isn't full size? :shock: (wink)

This seems to be a good way to do those pesky high leads. Am wondering about the necessity of drilling so many bolts which would be as far apart as the caver can (safely) reach. But I've heard of removable bolts which would be a good thing once the top of a lead is bolted and rigged.

Neat stuff and who knows may open up and expand quite a few caves like they did with Carlsbad a few years ago with the "Chocolate High Room" (I think that's what it was called).
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby cavescom » Jun 17, 2007 1:23 pm

I posted the 2 items together as a single PDF here http://www.cavediggers.com/RaumerStickUp2007.pdf

I have previewed the updated version of Vertical and the advanced rigging section has a couple options for removable anchors and goes over all the choices. I will have links to the new Vertical soon and it will be available for purchase in color/bw printed versions as well. It is excellent!

Last edited by cavescom on Sep 7, 2007 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cavescom
Prolific Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jun 17, 2007 2:32 pm

Hmm... well, how about a video demo... like outside on a short cliff face where you don't have to worry too much about lighting ... just an idea. :grin:

Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cavescom » Jun 17, 2007 2:56 pm

that is our plan to use it on the surface and I can video tape it and post it.
cavescom
Prolific Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jun 18, 2007 8:50 pm

:woohoo: Looking forward to it!

Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cavescom » Jul 2, 2007 8:36 am

Mara at Raumer let me know today that Raumer's new website is up and running http://www.raumerclimbing.com/ "Italian only for now"

My new Stick-Up should be here soon...price with shipping was 83 Euros plus a bank transfer fee. Expe http://www.expe.fr/ has them cheaper but I think they have stock on the old model.

I will link to both these sites in our Vendor section of the Links Page.

Last edited by cavescom on Sep 7, 2007 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cavescom
Prolific Poster

Postby cavescom » Jul 16, 2007 9:18 pm

I did get the Stick-Up in recently and hopefully this Friday I will be able to shoot some photos and video of it in use......

Mark Passerby, Caves.com
cavescom
Prolific Poster

Postby Francis » Jul 21, 2007 4:11 pm

Nice thread!

I am looking forward to seeing pictures of the divice in use.

Francis
Francis
Infrequent Poster

Postby cavescom » Jul 25, 2007 6:48 pm

Well I didn't get down to West Virginia till late so I didn't get to try out the device however I have put the pics of it below and the measurments.

The price was 83 Euros + a wire transfer fee to Raumers bank(they may take a cashiers check) Mark Passerby, Caves.com

MEASUREMENTS:(measurements are to the center of the hole)
Bottom Hole--1"
Middle Hole--8 1/2"
1st Hole at Top--17 3/4"
2nd Hole at Top--19 1/4"
3rd Hole at Top with rope--20 5/8"
Total Length of bar with out end caps---21 1/4"

Last edited by cavescom on Apr 3, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cavescom
Prolific Poster

Postby ljthawk » Jul 26, 2007 8:56 am

cavescom wrote:I have previewed the updated version of Vertical and the advanced rigging section has a couple options for removable anchors and goes over all the choices. I will have links to the new Vertical soon and it will be available for purchase in color/bw printed versions as well. It is excellent!

Mark Passerby, Caves.com

So the ~$40 color copy of the book I just received a few weeks ago will soon be outdated?

L.J.
ljthawk
Frequent Poster

Postby cavescom » Jul 26, 2007 9:08 am

No that is the updated version I am referencing is the one you purchased for $40 and can be read online at http://cavediggers.com/vertical/

Mark Passerby, Caves.com

Last edited by cavescom on Sep 7, 2007 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cavescom
Prolific Poster

Postby Marbry » Jul 26, 2007 9:42 am

Has anyone actually tried to test how much outward force that generates on the bolt?

I had thought of something basically similar except much larger years ago, but thought it had too much potential to pull out a bolt.
Marbry
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 27221
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby ljthawk » Jul 26, 2007 11:54 am

cavescom wrote:No that is the updated version I am referencing is the one you purchased for $40 and can be read online at http://caves.com/vertical/

Mark Passerby, Caves.com

I’m confused. Your post sounded like there was an updated version that covers removable anchors in the “Advanced Rigging” section. The “Advanced Rigging” section posted at Caves.com does not discuss removable anchors (I assume climbing pro, removable bolts, etc), or at least not very much

I will check my book when I get home, but I am under the assumption it is the same as on the web page.

Thanks,

L.J.
ljthawk
Frequent Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Jul 26, 2007 7:25 pm

I just had a look it's not long but talks about DBZ anchors and using concrete screws as quick intermediate anchors (full bolt every 4 or so) for bolt climbing.

Page 85 in the advanced rigging section.

There are some (permanant anchors + nuts pitons etc) in the rigging equipment section. Page 32 onwards
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Next

Return to On Rope!