New Book: "Caves of Chattanooga"

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

New Book: "Caves of Chattanooga"

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Apr 11, 2007 5:17 pm

A new NSS book, "Caves of Chattanooga" has been sent to the printers and should be available from the NSS Bookstore in about 4 weeks.

The book features nine (9) Chattanooga area caves that are, or have been, commercial caves in some form, or another. The caves covered are:

Lookout Mountain Cave
Mystery Falls Cave
Mystic Caverns
Nickajack Cave
Raccoon Mountain Caverns
Ruby Falls Cave
Russell Cave
Sequoyah Caverns
Wonder Cave

The book will be 192 pages long and will include 180 illustrations, including many old brochures, postcards, and photographs.

At approximately 20 pages per cave, it is not intended to be an exhaustive history of any one cave, but still should be interesting to both cavers and non-cavers alike.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby George Dasher » Apr 12, 2007 10:10 am

Who wrote or edited it?
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Caves of Chattanooga

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Apr 12, 2007 11:03 am

The Author is me, Larry E. Matthews, and the Editor is Tom Rea. Tom has done a wonderful job, as usual.

The book has a little bit of everything: archaeology, history, saltpeter mining, rescues, exploration, the Civil War, you name it.

Lot's of NSS members are mentioned, including Bill Cuddington, Roy Davis, Rodger Ling, Buddy Lane, Mark Wolinsky, Don Black, Tom Barr, Joel Sneed and many others.

The research for this book reveled to me some fascinating stories that I had never heard before, such as the 159-foot pit in Ruby Falls Cave.

The book is illustrated with lots of OLD brochures and postcards, courtesy of Gary K. Soule, Gordon L. Smith, and others, and photographs of varying ages, including new photos by Bob Biddix.

There should be something of interest in there for just about anybody.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tim White » Apr 12, 2007 12:26 pm

:kewl: Can't wait to add it to my collection.
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby boreholio » Apr 12, 2007 11:58 pm

Hey Larry,

Thought you might be interested to know we found a new entrance to Wonder a couple of years ago. It connects in thru breakdown a ways beyond the commercial section. We also connected Crystal Cave to a entrance at the downstream side of the Wonder Cave sink and to another entrance in the quarry above the spring at the end of the ridge thereby giving Crystal 3 entrances. We actually went in the new entrance of Wonder, out the Wonder entrance (in the stream below the door), thru another section of cave a hundred or so feet long in the sink and then into the upstream entrance of Crystal and finally out the quarry entrance. We also pushed the breakdown that stops the stream passage upstream in Wonder but were unable to follow the main water and popped out into the upper dry gallery after a couple hundred feet.

We've still got a swallet lead in the back of the cove that may go to the rest of the cave. We'll probably push it this summer.

Joel Buckner
boreholio
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 17337FE

New Entrance To Wonder Cave

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Apr 13, 2007 9:52 am

No, Joel, I never heard about the new entrance. Sounds very interesting.

Even though it is nice to know, I probably would not have mentioned it in the book, since the cave is totally closed at the present time. I tried several times to contact the owners, but got no response.

I had hoped to get permission to go in the cave and take photographs, but since I never got permission, that entire chapter is "illustrated" with old postcards and brochures. But, they are very, very neat !!!

While doing research on Wonder Cave, I learned that Roy Davis (of Cumberland Caverns fame) had tried to purchase the cave on several occasions. Too bad he couldn't work out a deal. It might still be open.

I still hope that someday this beautiful cave will re-open as a commercial cave.

Larry
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Caves of Chattanooga

Postby Larry E. Matthews » May 24, 2007 4:20 pm

The book, "Caves of Chattanooga" is back from the printers and is available from the NSS Bookstore. Price is $18 for NSS members.

I have relied heavily on local cavers for information on these fascinating caves and for photographs. Major contriutors to the book include:

Donald B. Ball
Kent Ballew
Tom Barr
Bob Biddix
Bill Cuddington
Roy Davis
Cliff Forman
Larry Johnson
Rodger Ling
Joel Sneed
Jim Whidby
Mark Wolinsky
and many others

As usual, all profits will go to the NSS. I hope that the sale of this book at the Gift Shops for Raccoon Mountain Caverns, Ruby Falls Cave, Russell Cave National Monument, and Sequoyah Caverns will generate income for the NSS for years to come.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Caves of Chattanooga

Postby Larry E. Matthews » May 24, 2007 4:20 pm

The book, "Caves of Chattanooga" is back from the printers and is available from the NSS Bookstore. Price is $18 for NSS members.

I have relied heavily on local cavers for information on these fascinating caves and for photographs. Major contributors to the book include:

Donald B. Ball
Kent Ballew
Tom Barr
Bob Biddix
Bill Cuddington
Roy Davis
Cliff Forman
Larry Johnson
Rodger Ling
Joel Sneed
Jim Whidby
Mark Wolinsky
and many others

As usual, all profits will go to the NSS. I hope that the sale of this book at the Gift Shops for Raccoon Mountain Caverns, Ruby Falls Cave, Russell Cave National Monument, and Sequoyah Caverns will generate income for the NSS for years to come.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby innermostphoto » May 26, 2007 9:05 pm

GREAT! I hope to see it soon!

bob biddix
Innermost Imagery
http://www.innermostimagery.com
innermostphoto
Frequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: insert your own meaningless abbr. here

Postby mgmills » Jun 6, 2007 1:20 pm

My hubby bought the book at the SERA Cave Carnival last weekend. I've only flipped through it but what I've seen of it is very nice. I hope to get to really read it thoroughly soon.

Some very nice pics are in the book.

:goodjob: - thanks Larry Matthews
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby tncaveres » Jun 26, 2007 11:51 am

I to got to flip through a copy my friend bought acouple weeks ago & really thought it was put together well.
Larry is there any place close to us (Nashville) that I can get a copy at or will I have to just order it from NSS?
Can't get enough!!
tncaveres
Frequent Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jun 27, 2007 12:04 am

Coming to Convention? The NSS Bookstore will be there. (And we hope he'll do a book-signing.)

If not, support the NSS Bookstore anyway! :patriotic: You'll receive the NSS member discount (that you wouldn't at a bookstore in Nashville) and won't have to pay sales tax. Media mail shipping would only be $2.70. What a deal! :banana:

(But if you know a bookstore in Nashville that would sell it that we could contact, let me know. We're always looking for bookstores and show cave gift shops that will carry our books.)

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Where to buy "Caves of Chattanooga" in Nashville

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Jul 11, 2007 7:22 pm

Elders Bookstore, near Vanderbilt University, now stocks "Caves of Chattanooga". Also, the Borders Bookstores have it.

In Chattanooga, you can buy it at Raccoon Mountain Caverns, Russell Cave National Monument, and Sequoyah Caverns. For some strange reason, Ruby Falls has not stocked it, yet. Can't figure that out, with a photo of Ruby Falls Cave on the Front Cover !!!

I will be doing a book-signing at the Convention on Thursday from 10-12. Drop by and say "Hi" !!!

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Where to buy "Caves of Chattanooga" in Nashville

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Jul 11, 2007 7:22 pm

Elders Bookstore, near Vanderbilt University, now stocks "Caves of Chattanooga". Also, the Borders Bookstores have it.

In Chattanooga, you can buy it at Raccoon Mountain Caverns, Russell Cave National Monument, and Sequoyah Caverns. For some strange reason, Ruby Falls has not stocked it, yet. Can't figure that out, with a photo of Ruby Falls Cave on the Front Cover !!!

I will be doing a book-signing at the Convention on Thursday from 10-12. Drop by and say "Hi" !!!

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Photo of Mystery Falls on page 47.

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Jul 13, 2007 12:44 pm

By the way, that wonderful photograph on page 47 was taken by Bob Biddix.

When the first printing sells out, the proper credit will be added for Figure 2.13

If anyone else finds an error, or an omission in the book, just let me or Tom Rea know and we will fix it.

There are several OLD photos from the 1950's, where we don't know the name of the caver. Those would be great to find out.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Publications