Question about Carbide

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Question about Carbide

Postby copelandcaver7 » Jun 3, 2007 7:22 am

I just am new to Carbide Caving I bought a petzl generator, my question is will miners grade carbide work just as good as nut grade in my generator. I have no access to buy it locally I live in MO and Inner Mountain only will ship miners grade.
copelandcaver7
Occasional Poster

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Jun 3, 2007 7:46 am

Miners grade will work, but not nearly as well as nut grade. The miners will burn too hot and too fast in the ariane generator.

Things to watch out for:

You can actually generate enough heat to melt the plastic generator if you are not careful. Use less miners grade than you think you should.

The miners will burn real fast and then clump and not burn well. This leads to lots of shaking, which leads to the felt coming loose and getting spent up in the gas tube. Go to the grocery store and get some green scrubby pads. Cut them into circles that will just barely fit into the generator. These tight-fitting felts will stay in place better than the stock one. You may consider pre-packing your carbide in little pouches of panty hose. This keeps the spent from getting everywhere inside the lamp.

Best option: Get some nut grade carbide, you will be much happier. Sometimes you can get it at conventions or go to the store and drive it home to MO yourself.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Re: Question about Carbide

Postby Teresa » Jun 3, 2007 7:55 am

copelandcaver7 wrote:I just am new to Carbide Caving I bought a petzl generator, my question is will miners grade carbide work just as good as nut grade in my generator. I have no access to buy it locally I live in MO and Inner Mountain only will ship miners grade.

Talk to your local welding supply place. You might have to order a bunch of it. Or maybe not.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Adam Craig » Jun 3, 2007 7:56 pm

I have personally burnt up TWO Ariane generators using miners grade carbide. :doh: Bad, bad, bad choice...

I did what Teresa suggested and started calling welding shops. Eventually you'll get to the place that fills acetylene tanks... These are the guys who'll have the nut grade carbide. :grin:
I'm spiralling down to the hole in the ground where I hide - R. Waters
Adam Craig
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 48556
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Shallow Grotto

Postby copelandcaver7 » Jun 5, 2007 8:34 am

Thanks guys I will do some calling.
copelandcaver7
Occasional Poster

Postby copelandcaver7 » Jun 5, 2007 9:11 am

Hey I will be around Mammouth Cave area in the last week in July do you know of any store around there that sells Carbide?
copelandcaver7
Occasional Poster

Postby Adam Craig » Jun 5, 2007 8:53 pm

Copeland... I just ran my first batch of nut grade in my latest replacement generator. What a difference!! I bought 50 pounds from a welding shop in northern IN, and I'm already seeing another trip to acquire more :banana: Definitely take the time to get the right fuel. Miners grade is not want you want to run through these things.

As far as Kentucky, I'm not familiar with any place there, but I know Carbide Industries, LLC is located in Louisville. They don't sell directly to the public, but I'm guessing that acetylene tank filling operations run at a cheaper rate due to their close proximity... Call around. It took me less than 10 minutes and 3 phone calls to find some in IN :kewl:
I'm spiralling down to the hole in the ground where I hide - R. Waters
Adam Craig
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 48556
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Shallow Grotto

Return to Equipment Forum