Elios sizing?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Elios sizing?

Postby tallgirl » May 8, 2007 3:20 pm

Size one or size two. I am worried I might have a big head. lol I mean I'm not exactly petite. The Ecrin Roc seems to be on the same size scale as size two. Should I go with a size two?
Failed gene line :grin:
:bat:
tallgirl
Prolific Poster

Postby JoeyS » May 8, 2007 5:43 pm

Well if you have a wear a baseball cap in the 7's, I would definitely get a the larger elios.
The ecrin roc will size down to fit most any head though, and it is the more robust of the two models, plus it has better air flow, and you can stash your trashbag in the top of it.

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Re: Elios sizing?

Postby hank moon » May 8, 2007 6:16 pm

tallgirl wrote:Size one or size two. I am worried I might have a big head. lol I mean I'm not exactly petite. The Ecrin Roc seems to be on the same size scale as size two. Should I go with a size two?

If you are buying mail order, best to measure the head first.

Put on the thickest headgear you wear under your helmet, then try to pass a 22" non-elastic loop of something over your head. If it passes easily, go with size 1. If it's a struggle or doesn't pass, size 2.

Spicy pony head

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby VACaver » May 8, 2007 6:32 pm

I had an Elios for a while. While a good looking helmet and light-weight, I hated it because of the hard foam liner...it got REALLY hot.

If you haven't already bought one, you might want to take a look at other helmets.
VACaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Patrick

Postby hank moon » May 8, 2007 6:41 pm

VACaver wrote:I had an Elios for a while. While a good looking helmet and light-weight, I hated it because of the hard foam liner...it got REALLY hot.

If you haven't already bought one, you might want to take a look at other helmets.

It is a hotter helmet than the Roc for sure...

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby VACaver » May 8, 2007 6:56 pm

It sure is.

I think Petzl would have a terrific helmet if they would put a webbing-type suspension liner in the Elios.
VACaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby potholer » May 12, 2007 7:12 pm

I think Petzl would have a terrific helmet if they would put a webbing-type suspension liner in the Elios.

But then they'd have to make the shell thicker, and possibly of a more durable material.

Then you'd have an Ecrin.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby subter » May 12, 2007 8:39 pm

I picked up the Petzl Vertex Vent and love it... all the benefits of the roc minus the 20 yr old design.
subter
Frequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: DCG

Postby Mike Cato » May 14, 2007 12:58 pm

Save yourself some trouble and go with the Spicy Pony Head!

Thanks Hank.
Mike Cato
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 51489
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville SCCi

Postby subter » May 14, 2007 1:36 pm

Spicy Pony Head? thanks... but no, not for me. For those who do favour the pony head should go with the regular pony head while those without a smaller appetitie should go for the demi pony head
subter
Frequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: DCG

Postby graveleye » May 14, 2007 3:19 pm

Initially my wife got the Roc helmet and didnt like it because it seemed too heavy for her. She would up getting an Elios too, the small one, and loves it. She's pretty petite though. I wanted a spare helmet, so I bought an Elios too, but got the large size one for me. I have to say that both sizes have a very large range of adjustment.
Too bad you can't just go try one.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby copelandcaver7 » Jan 3, 2008 5:45 pm

I just picked up this helmet I have got to say I love it. It is so much lighter than the roc that I have used for years plus I think it more comfortable with the foam instead of the webbing and probable safer from direct inpact.
copelandcaver7
Occasional Poster

Postby GhostCat » Jan 7, 2008 4:27 pm

Get the Size-2......Its basically size-1 for a child and size-2 for adults.......I just purchased the Elios and LOVE IT!!!!.....Its a great light-weight helmet. After wearing it for a few minutes, you'll forget its even there.

oops...I just saw how old this thread is......sorry

Cyrus
GhostCat
Occasional Poster

Postby VACaver » Jan 7, 2008 6:09 pm

Want to make your Elios even more comfortable?

Go the the fabric store and pick up some headliner material (foam-backed material). Glue two layers together back-to-back (foam-to-foam) with spray adhesive.

Take the front headband out of your Elios and use it to trace out a new one on the headliner...adding about 1/4-inch on the top and bottom (the part that wraps around the plastic headband in the helmet.

Cut out the new headband and install it in your helmet.

There ya go...a nice, soft headband that absorbs sweat better and eliminates the "hotspots" you may have had from the original bumpy headband.
VACaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Equipment Forum