Best Single Use Camera

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Best Single Use Camera

Postby tallgirl » May 4, 2007 4:07 pm

I love my digital camera too much to take it caving with me. I was wondering if anyone had experience with a single use camera working well in the caving environment. Something that works well in low lighting, can get a little wet, can get banged around in the cave pack, takes pretty nice pictures, and isn't gonna break the bank so I don't feel bad if I do manage to break it. Any suggestions please.
Failed gene line :grin:
:bat:
tallgirl
Prolific Poster

Postby tallgirl » May 4, 2007 4:55 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-QuickSna ... 34&sr=1-24

looks nice and it mentioned low lighting...
Failed gene line :grin:
:bat:
tallgirl
Prolific Poster

Postby Dane » May 4, 2007 9:44 pm

I haven't tried the 35mm, but I did compare the Fuji to the Kodak in a one-time use digital, and I liked the results from the Fuji better.
Dane
"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed."
http://www.myspace.com/daneinchattanooga
Dane
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dane
NSS #: 57919
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Postby Rick Brinkman » May 4, 2007 10:08 pm

I think this will work better for you.

http://www.amazon.com/1-Time-Camera-Out ... 17&sr=1-10

I've always had better luck with the 800 ASA in caves with my point and shoot. Then take the camera and have it developed at a good lab that does a digital scan of the film, such as Sam's Club. My 'snapshot' photos look great.(well...as good as a point and shoot can look anyway). And stick with the Fuji. In my opinion, Fuji has better color.

Good luck!:camera:
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Postby Ralph E. Powers » May 5, 2007 11:59 am

Dane wrote:I haven't tried the 35mm, but I did compare the Fuji to the Kodak in a one-time use digital, and I liked the results from the Fuji better.

Same here... many of my photos are from the Fuji camera and while the flash distance isn't the best it does take very nice photos for what type of camera it is. I've been happy with the fuji brand more than the kodak brand for a long time. Eventually I'll switch over to a digital and not worry too much about how well it will stand up to a cave environment. Common sense and watchfulness will help make it last. :grin:
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Re: Best Single Use Camera

Postby hank moon » May 5, 2007 12:28 pm

tallgirl wrote:I love my digital camera too much to take it caving with me.

have you considered a small, bashproof case like the Pelican Micro? Or maybe you have a large digicam...?

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » May 7, 2007 11:50 am

I have found after taking 20+ rolls of 35 film and having them developed, that it just doesn't make sense to use it or disposibles at all! Digital cameras can be had in an automatic model for less than film would cost for 12 rolls! If you use it on that many trips you have paid for it! Plus the image is so nice and easy to share and if you like you can get it printed! I made the switch ( after contemplating your same issues with durability)and if I knew this earlier I would have made the switch then!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MoonshineR DavE » May 7, 2007 12:50 pm

BrianC wrote:I have found after taking 20+ rolls of 35 film and having them developed, that it just doesn't make sense to use it or disposibles at all! Digital cameras can be had in an automatic model for less than film would cost for 12 rolls! If you use it on that many trips you have paid for it! Plus the image is so nice and easy to share and if you like you can get it printed! I made the switch ( after contemplating your same issues with durability)and if I knew this earlier I would have made the switch then!

REVEREND!!! I totally agree with you Brian.
MoonshineR DavE
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Teresa » May 8, 2007 10:06 pm

Fuji film is shifted to the blue green end of the spectrum for landscapes. Kodak film is shifted towards the reddish (makes people look healthier, supposedly.)

This is why Fuji Film takes better cave photos. You'd rather have your cave brownish, than looking like the un lit suburbs of hell.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Dane » May 9, 2007 4:49 am

Ah, Teresa! You're so poetic!!!
My mom will feel so much better about what I do, why I won't be able to see her Sunday, when I tell her about the "unlit suburbs of hell"!!!!!
Dane
"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed."
http://www.myspace.com/daneinchattanooga
Dane
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dane
NSS #: 57919
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Postby Baazalung » May 19, 2007 6:06 pm

Use a 6 liter barrel to put your camera in . Its' waterproof and you can also put other stuff in it...
It's better down here than out there...
Baazalung
Frequent Poster

Return to Photography and Videography Forum