How many known caves in each state?

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Aaron Addison » Apr 19, 2007 8:27 pm

So, please keep in mind that the cave surveys number the caves for an entirely different reason that coming up with a total number.

Which means the caving community is going to have to live with the different definations. Plus I don't want to have to go back through WV's database and redo everything to TN's criteria.

Good point George. One thing that has always struck me as funny is that State Cave Surveys should really be called State Cave Entrance Surveys. There are not only cave systems with multiple entrances, but I can think of at least one cave system in Missouri that has multiple entrances, but none of the entrances carry the name of the cave system!

AA
------------------------------
Aaron Addison
Stop and ask yourself - "What is this map for?"
Aaron Addison
Prolific Poster

Postby killian » Apr 19, 2007 8:43 pm

Does anyone out there have a number for Maryland?? I know it insignificant but would still like to know as a Marylander... :tonguecheek:
Man i sure do like caving.....
killian
Prolific Poster

Name: Killian McCarthy
NSS #: 58343

Postby bill fish » Apr 19, 2007 9:08 pm

Hi

Florida sounds pretty impressive with roughly 26 caves with over a mile of surveyed passage....

HOWEVER.....I'd hazard a guess that 23 or 24 of those are totally undewater....not to say Florida doesnt have its fair share of pretty nice caves...but long AND air filled isnt a common combination....

Drop the requirement down to a few thousand feet of surveyed passage however and THEN you''ll start to have a pretty nice list of air filled florida caves..

And of course that list doesnt include caves I am not allowed to talk about! :)

Blll
bill fish
Frequent Poster

Postby Komebeaux » Apr 19, 2007 9:16 pm

Kentucky has only one.
Komebeaux
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Danny Cumbo
NSS #: 58430

Postby Teresa » Apr 19, 2007 10:28 pm

Ozymandias wrote:I actually hadn't really looked at this before. Very interesting. I had no idea that Missouri had so many caves (of course, I had to check Wikipedia to remember where Missouri was in the US).

Missourians tend not to be a boastful lot. They're the quiet cavers over there in the corner with the twinkle in their eyes, watching the rest of the country run around, knowing that though we think the Inter-Net is where a fish should be, we invented the cave. :kewl: WE know this, because, along with Florida, we have a lot of them which aren't potty-trained yet...think about it :grin: . And ours are older than those upstarts in the Sunshine State.

Seriously...I actually was consulted as to the definition of a cave for some signage on one (small, atypical, but a famous archeo site)-- and after a bunch of hemming and hawing about 'my cave is longer/deeper than your cave' or is surrounded by the most politically correct rock decided that if someone in the US needs to define a cave, they really ought to use the definition in the FCRPA, because that is the only cave definition which does apply to all 50 states and some territories. And that's what was used.

Now if a cave survey chooses only to survey caves or karst features of a specific length--wonderful. But that should be defined as surveyable cave, not a cave per se.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Carl Amundson » Apr 19, 2007 10:57 pm

killian wrote:Does anyone out there have a number for Maryland?? I know it insignificant but would still like to know as a Marylander... :tonguecheek:

According to the "Caves of Maryland" (1976), there are 148 caves in Maryland. None of which are a mile long.
Maryland's longest cave is Crabtree cave in Garrett County. It has 4200 feet of passage.
I like Crabtree, it is a fissure cave and it's passages are very tight.
The “tourist loop” is about a half mile in length and takes about 4 to 5 hours.
It’s one tough little cave...
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby killian » Apr 20, 2007 12:55 am

Junkman, cool thanks... They have tours in crabtree? I would love to check that cave out... Who do i contact to get info on that? :kewl:
Man i sure do like caving.....
killian
Prolific Poster

Name: Killian McCarthy
NSS #: 58343

Postby Carl Amundson » Apr 20, 2007 12:51 pm

killian wrote:Junkman, cool thanks... They have tours in crabtree? I would love to check that cave out... Who do i contact to get info on that? :kewl:

LOL... :rofl:
Crabtree is DEFINATLY not a commercial cave.

Hook up with one of the Grottos in Western Maryland.
It is a gated cave and requires special access.
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby Chris Chenier » May 2, 2007 11:16 am

Quebec has some 500 caves. (The data is not yet organized enough to get an exact number.) Definition is: anything natural that can be entered by a human.

Chris
Chris Chenier
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 48815

Postby Aaron Addison » May 23, 2007 9:34 am

One additonal attribute that I would like to see quantified is the percentage of caves for each state on private vs. public land.

This is tied to the ongoing discussion related to cave locations, geospatial information and the internet elsewhere on this site. One poster suggested making sacrifical cave locations available to the masses, but in many parts of the country that may be on private land!

DOH!

AA
------------------------------
Aaron Addison
Stop and ask yourself - "What is this map for?"
Aaron Addison
Prolific Poster

Postby Spike » May 25, 2007 11:40 am

Looking at City up to Federal, it looks like about 22% of known Missouri caves are publicly owned.

Spike
Spike
Prolific Poster

Postby Tom Gilleland » May 26, 2007 1:29 am

Over 95% of the caves in Arizona are owned by some government entity.

-Tom
Tom Gilleland
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 26508
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southern Arizona Grotto

WV Caves

Postby caverbob » Jun 1, 2007 1:42 pm

West Virginia has 115 caves over a mile long now with a total count of just over 4700 caves for the state.

Maryland has just over 150 caves and Delaware has its cave.
Bob Gulden NSS#13188LF
NSS Long & Deep Cave Lists:
http://www.caverbob.com/home.htm
caverbob
Occasional Poster

Postby Lee.Florea » Jun 11, 2007 9:41 am

Kentucky is between 3000-4000 right now. The numbers are in flux as they are still cleaning up the database and adding many-many-many new entries. E-mail Randy Paylor at PAYLOR@uky.edu or contact@ksscaves.org for an accurate number.
Lee.Florea
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 37909FE, LF
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Green River Grotto

Postby Fifi » Aug 11, 2007 2:57 pm

My understanding is that Virginia always has one more cave than West Virginia.
Fifi
Infrequent Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum