Watertown, NY Caverns and caves

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Watertown, NY Caverns and caves

Postby jhartz » Sep 24, 2006 9:08 pm

hey has anybody herd of watertown, I live here and have begun to explore the local caves which are limestone caves some are 20- 30 feet underground i'm looking for any advice you could have to aid me in my exploration of these cave systems. Thanks
jhartz
Infrequent Poster

Name: Joshua Hartz
NSS #: 65977

Postby wendy » Sep 24, 2006 9:29 pm

which state are you in? I found Watertown in at least 5 different states.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby icave » Sep 25, 2006 10:20 am

Cue grotto bot.......

I'd suggest that you contact the local grotto in Syracuse, Syracuse University Outing Club, as Watertown is less than 15 minutes north of Syracuse.

Here is their website: http://suoc.syr.edu/cgi-bin/suoc.pl

Good luck, have fun and be safe.
Signature, I don't need no stinkin signature!
icave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Spencer
NSS #: 48165
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Allentown Grotto

Watertown NY caves

Postby jhartz » Sep 25, 2006 6:53 pm

Watertown , NY Upstate NY has alot of limestone and NYS alone has many caverns and caves i have researched cave diving and seen equipment lists and want to go into the caves but i would never go alone of course. I think these caves should be preserved for natural bat homes and some could be used for tourism but that's just my opinion what do you all think? some are a good 4,000 feet long and others are only 215 feet long i just love exploring the bowels of the earth and feelin the cold breeze from the entrance.
jhartz
Infrequent Poster

Postby wendy » Sep 25, 2006 7:03 pm

Sorry I didn't even see the NY in the topic line.

If you've looked at this forum any you will see that we mostly suggest find the closest caving grotto (club) to you by going to http://www.caves.org. That way you will be able to meet expereinced cavers to help you. Also I think the Boston Grotto does some caving in upstate NY. Some of the caves up there I know are owned by the NSS and the Northeastern cave conservancy

btw.....Welcome to the group here
wendy
Global Moderator

Postby Cheryl Jones » Sep 25, 2006 8:35 pm

Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Sean Ryan » Sep 28, 2006 3:58 pm

The NCC is great, but it's not a traditional grotto. However, get in contact with us in the NCC and you'll get a chance to go caving this weekend. We have quarterly meeting, and have been doing some cave conservation projects beforehand. Saturday we're tackling Baugh Cave, which is mostly clean now but was used as a garbage dump for 30 years. PM me and I'll get you details.
Sean Ryan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby onearmdscissor63 » Oct 3, 2006 12:31 pm

Pretty much all of the watertown caves are closed. From what I've heard, that doesn't stop the locals. I've never been to the area though.
onearmdscissor63

black river caves

Postby jhartz » Apr 19, 2007 10:43 am

I am a local resident of watertown and back in 1996 some people broke through a sealed cave to go exploring until their only flashlight died so the almost had hypothermia and the fire department rescued them they didn't pack right. The river is flooding now in the spring and some of the young caves still fill with water i wonder if crystals would form? do any of you know if it would occur if water from river fills the caves because I've seen some beautiful formations when water pools like that and as for the grotto i would join if they actually had one based here in watertown i mean underneath the city it is like Swiss cheese there are so many caves along the banks and natural bridge is close to here as well. I really want a grotto to form up here if anybody from any other grotto has the desire to come here please let me know it would bring alot more people here and give us locals something to do lol.
jhartz
Infrequent Poster

Postby JHurst » Apr 19, 2007 3:56 pm

wendy wrote:which state are you in? I found Watertown in at least 5 different states.

:laughing:

I'm to know that someone else does the same thing as me now! hehe
JHurst
Infrequent Poster

black river caves/ watertown area

Postby jhartz » May 2, 2007 9:23 pm

Watertown is less than 15 minutes north of Syracuse.

no my friend watertown is 66 miles north or about 50 minutes away unless you travel at about 105MPH and i don't have a car yet so i have no means to get to the grotto lol. Oh and the city board sealed off some of the largest caves easily accessible here i know why so vandals and idiots don't mess around in them but i wish they would make one public and leave rest for bats which are little brown bats there are allot of them here btw and they take care of mosquito problems in the summer.
jhartz
Infrequent Poster

Re: Watertown NY caves

Postby wendy » May 6, 2007 12:12 pm

jhartz wrote:i have researched cave diving and seen equipment lists and want to go into the caves but i would never go alone of course.

i just read this part of your post...please don't go cave diving unless you are certified as a cave diver! Cave diving when not trained to do so is very dangerous and almost always leads to death. No tonly would you be putting yourself in danger but those that would have to come and do a rescue or recovery.

Not saying that you were going to go out and cave dive, but your post left that window open for interpretation.
wendy
Global Moderator

cave diving

Postby jhartz » May 8, 2007 3:20 pm

ha i guess wrong interpretation lol :tonguecheek: i mean just going down in and exploring the caves not scubadiving in them that is really dangerous cause of cold water and narrow passages and i would never do that without proper training of course.
jhartz
Infrequent Poster

Re: Watertown, NY Caverns and caves

Postby jhartz » Jan 14, 2008 11:05 pm

hey guys and girls an update I am going to join the NSS sometime this month and the local grotto thing might work out as soon as i get transportation i will then probably join the SUOC grotto in Syracuse,NY but another option is for me to just get a group of nss cavers together up here that live in the vicinity of watertown, NY if anybody lives here and wants to form a group and eventually mabe a grotto that would be nice we have JCC here so a college grotto or high school one would work i know my high school already has an adventure club, anyway let me know i am really looking foward to seeing more cavers up in this region of NY it is the other big karst hotspot in NY besides schohaire county and albany many challenging horozontal caves and i believe a few vertical pits here and there. I haven't really had a chance to explore the whole region most of the nice caverns here are 1-2 miles long and labrynth like in design and most of them line the riverbank all the way outside of watertown down to Lake Ontario. Another possible location i have herd there are scattered caves is in the adirondack moutains supposedly granite caves i am trying to find out more info on that region as well. I hope to get some responses from cavers in this region i really need to get into a party of people so i can cave more often. Happy caving to everyone and i will try and post more often haha.
jhartz
Infrequent Poster

Re: Watertown, NY Caverns and caves

Postby Lost » Jan 19, 2008 5:29 pm

Have you found any sumps?
Lost
Prolific Poster

Next

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum