Auto Lite tip question

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Auto Lite tip question

Postby jamesraykenney » Apr 3, 2007 2:32 pm

I removed the tip on my Auto Lite to clean it and because it seemed to be leaking a bit around the base.

I have never done this before, and I am not sure how to get it back on tight... I would try tapping it on, but it has a ceramic end and I am afraid of breaking it...

I have tried twisting it while pushing it in, but that does not seem to make it seat any better...

Does the Auto Lite take standard tips?

If not, where can I get a replacement?

Thanks...
jamesraykenney
Infrequent Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Apr 3, 2007 3:19 pm

Inserting it with a pushing and twisting motion is the preferred method. Perhaps the seat itself has become twisted.

I recall there being a difference in the angle between Autolite and Justrite jeweled tips (as they called them) so that one wouldn't fit well in the other, but I forget which is which.

Doesn't Gary Storrick have a website with info like this on it? Yep.
Try this: http://wasg.iinet.net.au/clamps.html
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Scott Shaw » Apr 3, 2007 3:55 pm

I use a set of small pliers, hold it tight and seat it firmly with a slight twist. Should hold. See if IMO has any of the Mike Lite tips left. They are stainless steel, never clog and will fit the old lamps. i have them in my Guys Dropper and AutoLite.
Alabama Cave Survey - Cave Files Director (Send me your new caves and updates)
Scott Shaw
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 30571
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alabama Cave Survey

Postby jamesraykenney » Apr 3, 2007 5:48 pm

Scott Shaw wrote:I use a set of small pliers, hold it tight and seat it firmly with a slight twist. Should hold. See if IMO has any of the Mike Lite tips left. They are stainless steel, never clog and will fit the old lamps. i have them in my Guys Dropper and AutoLite.

I was using a lot of force to try to get it to seat well, and now it just seem looser than ever... I hope I have not ruined the lamp.
I have read that some of the tips are too long for the lamps, and I wander if this one is one of them...
jamesraykenney
Infrequent Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Apr 3, 2007 6:25 pm

Jim,

It could be too long. Have a good look at the tip seat/gas delivery tube. Only firm pressure is needed to seat it; not heavy pressure which is likely to distort the gas tube.

If so, I may have an Autolite you can have.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

Postby jamesraykenney » Apr 4, 2007 11:41 am

Phil Winkler wrote:Jim,

It could be too long. Have a good look at the tip seat/gas delivery tube. Only firm pressure is needed to seat it; not heavy pressure which is likely to distort the gas tube.

If so, I may have an Autolite you can have.

It took a LOT of pressure to remove... So I thought you had to use a lot to put it back on...
I am still having problems seeing how a friction fit works with a cone shape???
Where is the actual binding supposed to take place?
jamesraykenney
Infrequent Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Apr 4, 2007 1:29 pm

Jim,

Did you ever use a glass stopped bottle and see how the ground glass stopper is tapered to fit closely and seal the bottle. Perfume bottles and labware often have them.

It is a matter of the taper of the male portion matching the taper of the female portion. A firm downward twisting motion makes a tight seal. The reverse motion breaks the seal and frees the stopper.

Gary Storrick's site has all the info you need on these tapers. length of tips, etc. If you have any mechanical engineer friends they can have a look and advise you what might be wrong, too. They love problems like this. :D

Oh, the tip is missing from my Autolite lamp, but I'd bet I have some in my cave parts bins.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

Postby Phil Winkler » Apr 4, 2007 4:27 pm

Jim,

I found a small handful of tips. Some Premiere (I'm guessing) and the rest Justrite. Email an address and I'll put'em in the mail to you. I know I will never use them again as I gave away my lamps last year.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

Postby jamesraykenney » Apr 5, 2007 11:07 am

Well, I put some Metal Glo(a Fltz clone) on the tip and turned some and that seems to have fixed the problem for now... It may have just been some carbon buildup that was stopping it from seating properly...
I am amazed that there is not a major problem with tips falling out in caves...
jamesraykenney
Infrequent Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Apr 5, 2007 2:10 pm

Jim,

That's why the taper is so important. You will notice the difference between the two types I mailed you today. The longer tips are from Premier and have a definite slighter (less angle) taper then the squatter Justrites. For a proper fit both the male and female tapers should be the same.

And, I can recall a female caver in front of me whose tips kept falling out. :calvin:
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

makin a tip stay where it oughta be....

Postby fr73ed » Apr 5, 2007 7:59 pm

I use this alla the time to set pins an bearings in mining equipment.
Cool the part, in this case the tip.
Ya mite try usin ice, that may be enuf.
Fer sure, dry ice an jest a leeetle push with yer grippies.
If that don't work, take yore biggest big rosebud an heat the livin sh.... heat the hell outa the tip area of yore lamp, whilst yer dry icein the tip... 5 minutes or til she's glowin red, or more'n likely a puddle, an you ain't never gonna hafta worry about THAT tip fallin out...

but then, thinkin 'bout this, you MAAAY also be joinin the 'lectric club at that point.

yers truly, a real carbide caver,
fr73ed

PS any y'all ever gone to a weldin gas supplier ?
Real interestin place ta visit an see how they fill up them bottles. An test 'em.
fr73ed
Frequent Poster

Postby jamesraykenney » Apr 19, 2007 11:44 pm

Phil Winkler wrote:Jim,

I found a small handful of tips. Some Premiere (I'm guessing) and the rest Justrite. Email an address and I'll put'em in the mail to you. I know I will never use them again as I gave away my lamps last year.

Thank you... I got them a few days ago!
jamesraykenney
Infrequent Poster

Return to Equipment Forum