Caver rescued, hospitalized after fall - TN

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Postby Tim White » Mar 26, 2007 10:11 am

"work rope" as used here is referring to a non-life rope that would be available from a home improvement or construction retailer. Used to tie down loads for transport, light pulling and/or lifting on the farm or at a construction area, etc.
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby Dane » Mar 26, 2007 12:01 pm

Thanks Evan and Tim for the data.
It should probably be pointed out that often times, these "work ropes" are of kermantle construction, so there may not be an obvious visual cue as to their limited use. They are usually dynamic with a great deal of stretch. I have seen a 1/2" "work rope" with a working load of only 120 lbs - not much value even as a handline, much less vertical use. Given the high stretch and low working load, snapping one even in "good" condition is certainly possible if not likely.
Dane
"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed."
http://www.myspace.com/daneinchattanooga
Dane
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dane
NSS #: 57919
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Postby Evan G » Mar 26, 2007 12:08 pm

If you tear one of the Work Ropes down and look at the core. It looks like a paper towel. I joke an say that is where all the old Brawny Paper Towels end up.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby Stridergdm » Mar 26, 2007 12:44 pm

Evan wrote:If you tear one of the Work Ropes down and look at the core. It looks like a paper towel. I joke an say that is where all the old Brawny Paper Towels end up.

Now we know that's obviously NOT true.

If it were, they'd be stronger! :-)
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Komebeaux » Apr 7, 2007 10:06 pm

Hope the guy pulls through and gets the opportunity to become a "safe caver" one day.
Komebeaux
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Danny Cumbo
NSS #: 58430

Re: Caver rescued, hospitalized after fall - TN

Postby MFD903 » Jan 18, 2008 2:14 pm

Hello, I'm Charles one of the Rescuers that was in the cave, as I quoted in U.S. Caving Forum on Jun 5, 2007, 9:23pm Chris Pique and is friends were using a 1" dia hemp type utility rope that was wet and rotted and his brother commented that they used the rope to pull cars and use it for anything and everything, and had no other gear except chem lights and 2 flashlights. As we inspected the rope it was damp and falling apart.

I added a pic of the cave entrance.

Charles
Maynardville Fire Department

Location only to qualified cavers…

As you enter you slide down about 3' then you make a right for about 20' and you will find a cliff with a drop around 30’ that’s where Chris was laying, cave stops there.
MFD903
New Poster

Re: Caver rescued, hospitalized after fall - TN

Postby nordicjw » Jan 18, 2008 2:51 pm

Charles, thanks for the post. It appears that all post previously made were correct. Did the IP fully recover from his injuries?
nordicjw
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: ccg

Previous

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum