big sink

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

big sink

Postby inaBIGhole » Mar 13, 2007 8:13 pm

hey my first post!...I got a very large sink about 50 feet across along a fault and about 30-45 feet deep. Is getting into this sink plausable or would we have to dig another 30-45 feet to hit breakdown?
inaBIGhole
Infrequent Poster

Postby wendy » Mar 13, 2007 8:21 pm

where are you located? Is this a dry sink? As you have posted this in the cave diving section so the part of your post about digging confuses me.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Lost » Mar 13, 2007 9:52 pm

And where are you?
Lost
Prolific Poster

Postby inaBIGhole » Mar 13, 2007 10:00 pm

sorry about posting in wrong spot. I'm in western mass the sink is dry theres snow outside and there is no meltholes. Someone has tried to dig it before but only went about 5 feet.
inaBIGhole
Infrequent Poster

Postby wendy » Mar 13, 2007 10:21 pm

inaBIGhole wrote:sorry about posting in wrong spot. I'm in western mass the sink is dry theres snow outside and there is no meltholes. Someone has tried to dig it before but only went about 5 feet.

Ok I've moved the your question to the general caving section.

Are you a caver? Have you thought of contacting a local caving grotto in Mass and having them take a look at the sink?
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby inaBIGhole » Mar 13, 2007 10:46 pm

I am a caver been doing it for awhile but sorta new to digging them open. I kno a very expirenced crew that kno about the sink but have just opened several 1000ft+ caves in NY that u might hear about soon and have alot of other stuff going on so im on my own right now for this dig. except a bunch of local guys who are less motivated than me. I was just thinking that since its a very large sink it would be worth getting into. plus there are many buitiful smaller caves around but does its depth mean it requires alot more diggin like diggin the depth of the sink itself?
inaBIGhole
Infrequent Poster

Postby fr73ed » Mar 14, 2007 8:59 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(snip)
I am a caver been doing it for awhile but sorta new to digging them open. I kno a very expirenced crew that kno about the sink but have just opened several 1000ft+ caves in NY that u might hear about soon and have alot of other stuff going on so im on my own right now for this dig. except a bunch of local guys who are less motivated than me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, ya could bribe yer friends.
Sex,drugs, an rock 'n roll are always a cavers best friend.

fr73ed
fr73ed
Frequent Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum