"Caving" search engine results

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

"Caving" search engine results

Postby Wayne Harrison » Oct 31, 2005 11:50 am

I wasn't sure where to place this post, but I've added a modification that shows what search terms people use that send them to various posts on this forum.

For now, I just have it as a separate, unlinked page as I'm not sure how to link to it (or if anyone even cares).

I've always been fascinated with search engine search terms -- especially the people who put in a full URL (web address) of a Web site an "search" for it using Google or Yahoo... apparently not realizing they can just type in the URL and get there directly.

Anyway, here's the link that will show you the search engine terms that people used on the left and then the various NSS posts that the search engines point to:

http://www.caves.org/phpBB2/showsearche ... ferers.php
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

URLs in Google

Postby Hatch » Nov 2, 2005 1:52 pm

It is actually useful at times to type in the full URL for a website in Google. If you do so you will see options from Google to find out certain info about that URL.

For example if you type in http://www.caves.org in Google and then on the resulting page click on "link to" option you'll see that 671 web sites currently link to http://www.caves.org. This is also a good way to see the Google cache for a website that may have recently disappeared.

Hatch
Hatch
Prolific Poster

Name: J. Alan Hatcher
NSS #: 56765
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby ian mckenzie » Nov 2, 2005 3:48 pm

Well that's interesting. I searched my own website and noted that, altho there are only 6 other sites that 'link' to it, there are 525 other sites that quote the URL (essentially a link). Wish I'd put a hit-meter on the site...
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Re: URLs in Google

Postby Wayne Harrison » Nov 2, 2005 4:04 pm

Hatch wrote:It is actually useful at times to type in the full URL for a website in Google. If you do so you will see options from Google to find out certain info about that URL.

For example if you type in http://www.caves.org in Google and then on the resulting page click on "link to" option you'll see that 671 web sites currently link to http://www.caves.org. This is also a good way to see the Google cache for a website that may have recently disappeared.

Hatch

Ahh. Thanks, Hatch. I do use the Google cache for sites that all of a sudden make it into the news and become overwhelmed with traffic, or are down for whatever reason.

The people who type in the URL into Google then come to the site (that's how they show up on our logs) and that's what I was getting at -- to get to the site they type in the URL in Google and then click on the same URL when Google pops up with it.

Google doesn't like caves, I guess. When I type in cavechat.org it asks:

Did you mean: "www.catchat.org" CatChat? :roll:
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: URLs in Google

Postby tropicalbats » Nov 3, 2005 12:33 am

[quote="Wayne Harrison]
The people who type in the URL into Google then come to the site (that's how they show up on our logs) and that's what I was getting at -- to get to the site they type in the URL in Google and then click on the same URL when Google pops up with it.

:[/quote]

One reason I do this is to keep my Windows pull-down list of sites un-cluttered with stuff I just go off to see once. If I type in an URL into the "address" pull-down box then it ends up staying there. I use this box almost exclusively to get to the four sites I visit regularly, and don't need other junk in there. Sure not a big deal, but also if you are on someone else's computer and don't want to clutter up their URL list, you can do the same thing. Everything's in History, so if you really want to re-find a site it's not that hard to do.

Keith
tropicalbats
Prolific Poster

Postby bigalpha » Nov 3, 2005 4:01 pm

I just put what i use in my favorites. Same amount of clicks.

When I use FireFox, i can put the bookmarks in the toolbar under the "File" Edit, etc. Takes out a click. Yeah, I'm lazy.
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Nov 8, 2005 7:27 pm

To make it even easier, take your most-visited sites and put them in your toolbar so you don't even have to go into your favorites. To do this, go to the "top" page of the site you want to save then "drag" the Explorer icon that is on the left side of the URL of the site to the empty space in your toolbar (usually just to the right of the URL window). If the name of the new button is too long, right click on it and shorten the name.

Once you have these sites listed, you click once on the icon & name in your toolbar and you're there!
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum