Correcting color shift under low light conditions?

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Correcting color shift under low light conditions?

Postby Teresa » Feb 11, 2007 11:17 am

Anyone know why my FE-180 does a red/yellow color shift when shot under low light conditions?Took some cave photos yesterday in a show cave, and it looked like photographs from hell...any way to fix this?

No--can't adjust the white balance.

Have found out this digicam does some pretty awesome light effects no flash while shooting ice, though.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Realms » Feb 11, 2007 12:13 pm

hmm if you haven't already, you might try using night mode.
never stop imagining what could someday come to pass...
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 11, 2007 6:06 pm

I'm not familiar with the FE-180 - but to "fix" your existing photos, it's fairly easy to tweak the colors in Photoshop.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Teresa » Feb 11, 2007 8:53 pm

NZcaver wrote:I'm not familiar with the FE-180 - but to "fix" your existing photos, it's fairly easy to tweak the colors in Photoshop.

Nope. That's the rub. I put the images in the computer, and they do not seem to adjust well at all, without turning into a muddy mess. Of course, the cave is brown--which is the most difficult digital color to achieve.

Realms--I have two options: one called night + portrait, and another called fireworks. No, I didn't try either one--quite honestly, I didn't even see the night + portrait one until you sent me back to the machine (only has stupid little obscure graphics on the wheel). I see that one can use night + portrait, but then change the flash option.

At this point, I'm trying to push the camera a bit--I'm still happy with it, generally. I know the ultimate is a DSLR, where I can get back to things like shutter speeds and f-stops and all that truly arcane photo knowledge one needs for a fully manual camera.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Realms » Feb 11, 2007 9:19 pm

that night shot mode might just work for ya. Last week we went to Rumbling Falls. We were all shooting using various digital and film cameras. One fellow was using night shot on his camera and was getting nice results. Not saying its the same across the board on all cameras but it might do the trick. I'm amazed at how fast the DSLR's are dropping. The one I really want now just costs under a grand. Not bad considering its twice the camera I have now and actually cost a little less than what I paid for mine when it was new. If I could go all the way with digital though it would have to be a Hasselblad H3D. Shooting medium format digital would rock. It's not gonna happen for me though as that rig will set you back 30G. I will continue to use my medium format film cameras as well as the digital though. There's nothing wrong with keeping a few roots planted :-) Also I am looking into a large format camera for cave photography. While it is by no means practical it will yield exceptional results for wall murals which is what I'm after.
Let us know how the different settings work out for ya.
Happy Shooting!
:-)
never stop imagining what could someday come to pass...
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Feb 11, 2007 9:21 pm

Is this your camera?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06082301olyfe170180.asp

It says it has an inside scene mode, perhaps because that mode will need to handle floresent, incandesant etc lights it will also handle your caving lights :question: I am told that LEDs are usually similar to the white balance for flashes so if you set it up for taking a flash photo but not actually fire the flash (some how, worst case cover it up?) it might work.

Shame it doesn't have any white balance settings.
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby Teresa » Feb 11, 2007 11:47 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments. OBTW, the FE-180 does have an anti-shake mode, too.

I can turn off the flash entirely, but I'm not sure how that affects the automatic settings. Which is why it is probably time to start saving the pennies and dimes...

Teresa
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Photography and Videography Forum