Boots

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby MUD » Jan 30, 2007 9:54 am

Here's a pic of what I wear....Don't know who makes them but they're absolutely awesome! They have steel toes, a steel shank and they fit like a regular pair of shoes. These are NOT like the ones from Wally-world. I've had those and they don't fit right. They are not nearly as well constructed as these. These boots are made from a heavier weight of rubber and are cloth lined for comfort. I could wear these around all day...that's how comfy they are! Great traction too! :kewl:
[url=http://upload6.postimage.org/17232/photo_hosting.html]Image[/url
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby adleedy » Jan 30, 2007 6:36 pm

ive just been using a pair of Rocky brand hunting type boots
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

SAVE CAVE RIVERS http://WWW.8RIVERSSAFEDEVELOPMENT.COM
adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: alan dwayne leedy
NSS #: 56663
Primary Grotto Affiliation: charleston grotto + ERVKET

Postby JoeyS » Jan 30, 2007 7:03 pm

A fellow caver has some Joops in the mail. She's really excited but her feet are very small, as in size 6. I think she's going to need some "filler" socks such as a thick wool or even a neoprene sock for the boots to work... Which brings me to this... Some have said that the Joop boot is awful for hiking. I wonder why? Is it abrasive action causing blisters or is it lack of support?
My "bata" style boots have horrible support and I wear neoprene socks with them to try and fill the voids. However, I have hiked miles in them, in cave and out. They were never uncomfortable, they just lacked ankle support (unlike the Joop which looks like it is basically a rubber hiking boot). These things (batas) are going to wear out in a few months at the rate I'm going, so perhaps you Joop-users can explain what "bad for hiking" means... I'm thinking of getting a pair but I don't want to have to use hiking boots to get to a cave and then switch to caving boots.

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby kmstill » Jan 30, 2007 7:45 pm

mabercrombie wrote:I have never worn them but I know people who swear by jungle boots.

hmmm, who, I wonder....
seriously, second the jungle boots. they've been great - even in wet muddy tag caves. before that, retired my OLD leather hikers into caving boots - did take a while (days) to dry, and were stiff until they got soaked again.
caving's real abusive to leather, even on good/expensive boots, so I wouldn't blow a lot of $$ on caving footwear, especially with all the cheap options. My good hiking boots will never see a cave, at least until they're retired and replaced.
kelly :)
Kelly Still NSS50801
kmstill@gmail.com
kmstill
Prolific Poster

Name: Kelly Still
NSS #: 50801

Postby wendy » Jan 30, 2007 8:34 pm

I don't have a probelm hiking in my joop boots. I actually love mine! No probelms what so ever. Although when I go to California in May I'll have to revert back to my desert storm boots with the hard soles for the lava tube caves. Lave tubes will eat up some joop boots. But back to the joop boots, I don't even have any inserts in them, just wear them with socks.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Realms » Jan 30, 2007 8:37 pm

Hmm maybe they didn't place insoles in the joops. I have insoles in mine and use thick socks as well. The shoe has no liner of any type in it so the thick sock really helps. I know a few folks who use bata boots (*not to be confused with the millitary style bata) but after looking at the tread depth and very close placement of the tread/groove it leaves me to wonder how they would do on a muddy slope. I love my joops. Only reservation is the lack of a shank. Might fabricate one though. Might make vertical work a little more sure footed :-) I think im also going to get a pair of muckmasters and try them out.
never stop imagining what could someday come to pass...
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby paul » Jan 31, 2007 8:11 am

Cavemud wrote:Here's a pic of what I wear....Don't know who makes them but they're absolutely awesome! They have steel toes, a steel shank and they fit like a regular pair of shoes. These are NOT like the ones from Wally-world. I've had those and they don't fit right. They are not nearly as well constructed as these. These boots are made from a heavier weight of rubber and are cloth lined for comfort. I could wear these around all day...that's how comfy they are! Great traction too! :kewl:

Ah - Wellies!

Just about every British caver wears those. The ones in the photo look like Dunlop Suretreads.
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby MUD » Jan 31, 2007 9:32 am

Thank you Paul! I always thought they were "Wellies"...but wasn't quite sure. They are extremely comfortable compared to them boots at Mall-Wart. Out of curiosity...how much are wellies in the U.K.? ALways wondered how much they cost and where can I get them? I'd love to have another pair or three! :grin:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby YuccaPatrol » Jan 31, 2007 11:53 am

I just received a pair of NRS Work Boots for my birthday. I'll take them on the next trip and see how they do. They are very comfortable and I bet they will keep my feet dry, but they do not have tons of support. Kind of like a cross between a dive bootie and combat boots. The soles seem very sticky and should grip nicely on the wet stuff.
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby paul » Feb 1, 2007 7:59 am

Cavemud wrote:Thank you Paul! I always thought they were "Wellies"...but wasn't quite sure. They are extremely comfortable compared to them boots at Mall-Wart. Out of curiosity...how much are wellies in the U.K.? ALways wondered how much they cost and where can I get them? I'd love to have another pair or three! :grin:

Around 12 pounds sterling ( 21 dollars or so ).

Have a look at Bernies Cafe & Caving Shop - Suretred Wellies
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby paoconnell » Feb 12, 2007 6:59 pm

caverdoc wrote:If you google "wellco boots" (or http://www.wellco.com) you will find a company that makes many service-approved boots. ...
:grin: Dr K

Wellco has "real" jungle boots on that page in black, the ones with the really big lugs (BHWCDP). There you go, people.

My best ever caving boots were Red Wing Irish Setter boots that had a military style upper, with a Norwegian style welt and Vibram lugged sole. They lasted for four years of caving abuse at least once a month in mucky Indiana and TAG caves. I don't think Red Wing makes that style any more, but I wish they did.
Take nothing but pictures
Leave nothing but footprints
Kill nothing but vandals
paoconnell
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 13878RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sandia Grotto

Postby tagcaving » Feb 14, 2007 4:44 pm

Joop Boots. Did a 9 miles of caving in them last Sunday going back to Crashing Spire Plunge. Feet felt fine after. They grip the rock like nothing I have every had. With the great big lugs they stick to muddy slopes like no other.
To The Bitter End,
Andy Porter, 26258FERL

tagcaving
Occasional Poster

Postby youthsonic » Mar 31, 2007 3:28 pm

Speaking of Joop boots, could someone please give me his e-mail address? I would very much like to get a pair.

thanks!
-dave
youthsonic
Infrequent Poster

Postby wendy » Apr 1, 2007 1:12 am

youthsonic wrote:Speaking of Joop boots, could someone please give me his e-mail address? I would very much like to get a pair.

thanks!
-dave

PM sent
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby youthsonic » Apr 1, 2007 9:59 am

Thank you very much for the quick response!

I'm taking a trip out to Devil's Icebox and would love to get a pair! I can only hope he has a pair in my size in "Stock" ;-)
youthsonic
Infrequent Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum