The "Flintstone" flash technique

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

The "Flintstone" flash technique

Postby Uncle Muddy » Jan 17, 2007 3:13 pm

This technique was developed from mere laziness. I've been shooting a new digital camera with more bells and whistles than I've been able to absorb. So I set the thing on full auto program, mounted an IR filter on the pop-up strobe, and began shooting to a Firefly-slaved strobe. When the first exposure came up on the viewing screen it was clearly over exposed. We moved the slaved unit further from the subject and tried again. Still too much light! Well, heck, the strobe sherpa simply covered up 1/3rd of the output lens with his fingers and we shot again. Voila! Photography made simple. We quickly devised a simple shoot-and-review system, and I called for the needed percentage of light required per the proof. Guide-number-math be damned! It worked very well. We dubbed the technique "Flintstone" for the obvious bone-headed, archaic reason.
Caving: It's like fun....only....different.
Uncle Muddy
Occasional Poster

Wrong Photo...duh

Postby Uncle Muddy » Jan 17, 2007 3:22 pm

A "Flintstone" foto from Cova des pas de Vallgornera, Mallorca, featuring Bobby Panian. Per: T. Harrison and Tony Merino.
Caving: It's like fun....only....different.
Uncle Muddy
Occasional Poster

Postby bigalpha » Jan 17, 2007 5:00 pm

Cool pic.
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Dave Bunnell » Jan 17, 2007 6:45 pm

If you're shooting on auto settings, in a cave you are probably stuck at the widest aperture your camera has. One trouble with the flintstone approach (which I've used too) is that it reduces the angle of coverage of the flash as well as cutting its output.

If you are shopping for flashes in the future, another solution would be a variable power one.

Dave

p.s. Nice pic, btw. We ran some of Tony's shots from that cave in the News a couple years ago and it looks pretty awesome.
NSS News Editor
Dave Bunnell
Prolific Poster

Postby MoonshineR DavE » Jan 18, 2007 8:53 am

Nice pic. I'll have to try the "Flintsone Flash". Right now I use a 1 million cp spotlight and a long exposure time. The only problem is getting the light in all the right places.
MoonshineR DavE
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Jan 19, 2007 11:05 am

what kind of cameras are you guys using? My little Olympus digital camera doenst have a feature to hold the shutter open, but I think my wifes camera does.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jan 19, 2007 2:05 pm

I wonder if anyone uses the tissue paper technique. Sometime in the past I used to do photography for a living. I found that often times I didn't like the harshness of the flash when photographing a subject. Using a flash diffuser sometimes didn't give me the effect that I wanted either. Soo, a rubber-band and a piece of tissue paper over the main flash lens helped solve the problem.
Just wondering if that might not be a more viable option than just a pair of muddy fingers. Depending upon the flash unit you could construct a box with a sliding door that fits over the flash lens and use the door to cut down on the amount of light provided.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby Dane » Jan 19, 2007 11:08 pm

Hey Graveleye!
I have an Olympus Camedia D-595 Zoom (I know! sounds like an STD!!!) - it a 5mg pocket camera, and in manual mode, allows you to have the shutter open up to 15 sec's. That, combined with a 12 sec self-timer should allow for quite a bit of light manipulation.
Spelunker Bob took us to Cedar Ridge the other night and showed us quite a few tricks.
Let's see if I can post an example!
Dane
"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed."
http://www.myspace.com/daneinchattanooga
Dane
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dane
NSS #: 57919
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Postby graveleye » Jan 21, 2007 1:32 pm

Thats a great picture Dane!!!!!! Is that the same camera you dropped at White River? :doh: I was sure it was a goner!!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Dane » Jan 21, 2007 2:17 pm

Yea, it has been thru a few spills and thrills!
Glad I didn't drop it when I was doing the "looking down the rope" shot at Neversink!
I got it a couple of years ago for less than $200 - it has been one of my better investments!
I put a couple of more those on my MySpace site, along with a handful of pic's (before my CR photo class darn it!) from Neversink last weekend.
Feel free to check them out.
Dane
"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed."
http://www.myspace.com/daneinchattanooga
Dane
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dane
NSS #: 57919
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Return to Photography and Videography Forum