Considerations for dogs at events?

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Considerations for dogs at events?

Postby Uncle Muddy » Oct 10, 2006 11:09 am

I attended the fall MVOR (Most Excellent!) alone because my darlin was participating in an event for Stray Rescue of Saint Louis that weekend. Many dogs were sharing the fun at MVOR as well. A small fee is required to register one's dog for the event, and the critters' partners are required to keep them leashed. All in all, it's a good thing for everyone. However, some dogs get abit annoyed when they're restrained for 3 days. Heck, I can relate. Somebody...maybe it was Christine Meurer (MOLES)...suggested the possibility of providing a fenced doggie park where the pups could run free and make new friends. We all agreed that my wife would be just the person to manage such an area, and it woyuld be an impetus to her attendance. Has anybody set up such a doggie park at caver events? :deer:
Caving: It's like fun....only....different.
Uncle Muddy
Occasional Poster

Postby Sean Ryan » Oct 10, 2006 11:25 am

At an NRO a few years ago, someone brought a dog that bit two people. Most dogs aren't like that, but in general it's one less headache to not have pets there.
Sean Ryan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby nordicjw » Oct 10, 2006 11:54 am

. Somebody...maybe it was Christine Meurer (MOLES)...suggested the possibility of providing a fenced doggie park where the pups could run free and make new friends

I think that would be a great idea. With plastic construction fencing or perhaps an enclosed tennis court, if one was on the property, the idea could easily be set up.

Next years Convention is allowing dogs, something for the organizers to think about hopefully.
nordicjw
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: ccg

Postby Uncle Muddy » Oct 10, 2006 6:09 pm

Sean Ryan wrote: a few years ago, someone brought a dog that bit two people.

Some folks at caving conventions could profit from being bit....by a rattler! :devil:
Caving: It's like fun....only....different.
Uncle Muddy
Occasional Poster

Please allow dogs at Convention

Postby pebblepoint » Jan 16, 2007 1:07 am

For years, my wife and I never missed a convention, no matter where it was. Our Golden stayed happily in the camper. No barking. No problems.
Now, we have an equally agreeable English Mastiff. He too stays in the camper with no barking and no problems.
Except, that we've not been able to attend Convention for several years due to the no dog rule. My wife is one who would never allow her baby to be put in a kennel, so the convention loses my $200+ and we lose much more.
Why not deal with problem dogs when they come up by asking the attendees to leave? Charge $20 per dog as a discouragement.
Anyway, looks like the Indiana Convention also has a dog rule so maybe I'll see you all in 2008?

don
little egypt grotto
carbondale, il.
pebblepoint
Occasional Poster

Re: Please allow dogs at Convention

Postby wendy » Jan 16, 2007 1:38 am

pebblepoint wrote:For years, my wife and I never missed a convention, no matter where it was. Our Golden stayed happily in the camper. No barking. No problems.
Now, we have an equally agreeable English Mastiff. He too stays in the camper with no barking and no problems.
Except, that we've not been able to attend Convention for several years due to the no dog rule. My wife is one who would never allow her baby to be put in a kennel, so the convention loses my $200+ and we lose much more.
Why not deal with problem dogs when they come up by asking the attendees to leave? Charge $20 per dog as a discouragement.
Anyway, looks like the Indiana Convention also has a dog rule so maybe I'll see you all in 2008?

don
little egypt grotto
carbondale, il.

I don't kennel my dogand cat either, that is why i have a babysitter that comes over and takes care of them when I am out caving
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Re: Please allow dogs at Convention

Postby Grandpa Caver » Jan 16, 2007 7:27 am

pebblepoint wrote:Anyway, looks like the Indiana Convention also has a dog rule so maybe I'll see you all in 2008?

don
little egypt grotto
carbondale, il.

The Indiana Convention is allowing dogs for a very modest $5.00 registration fee.
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby copelandcaver7 » Apr 17, 2007 9:14 am

I think they should be allowed until the individual dog is the problem, then take care of the problem then. Not just say no dogs are allowed right off the bat.
copelandcaver7
Occasional Poster

Return to Caver Events