Youth Brochures Now Available (finally)

Share ideas and experiences, seek advice for leading youth groups underground. Also visit Youth Group Caving.

Moderators: amaddox, Moderators

Youth Brochures Now Available (finally)

Postby Patricia Bingham » Oct 25, 2005 5:47 am

Hey Folks,

After much hand-holding from Josh, our IT guy, and way much more whining from me, a technophobe to the nth, the brochures are now available on the youth website. Just go to the NSS homepage, click on the Youth Groups Info button and go to the index page. You'll see the buttons from there.

http://www.caves.org/youth/nss_youth_home.htm

Now that I have a clue, I hope to get the info for the Regional Coordinators up there.

How can we improve the website? I have some ideas for additions. I love the design (very simple and easy to use), and would like to add info.
Patricia Bingham
Frequent Poster

Postby amaddox » Oct 25, 2005 2:40 pm

Pat,
I like that they are word documents that youth group leaders can just print out and distribute locally.
Glad to see you back on the boards.

Allen
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Postby Patricia Bingham » Oct 26, 2005 4:38 am

Cheryl Jones has graciously offered to make the brochures more professional-looking, a talent in which I am exceedingly lacking.

Ben Dietrich and others of the Gangsta Mappers have offered to pdf the files for me. So things are not finalized yet.

Will start adding more to the website as my knowledge grows.
Patricia Bingham
Frequent Poster

Postby amaddox » Oct 26, 2005 9:36 am

Pat,
Last time I got some brochures from NSS to use at Youth Group Cave talks, they sent me a document called, "Cave Exploring By Youth Groups; Information for Youth Group Members, Leaders, and Parents."
It's double sided 11X17 sheet folded in half. I think it's great for the kids to have a take home to review with their parents. Can this go on the site, too?
Also, can there be a link back to the NSS home page?
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cave rat » Oct 26, 2005 9:27 pm

Are you all talking about the booklet "Guide to Responsiable Caving"? If you are, I have 500 of them here for a huge Boy Scout event here next month. The NSS donated me 4 cases of 500 booklets and pampletes each for the event.
Cave Rat
NSS 46542RE
SCCI
Jackson County/Scottsboro Grotto
cave rat
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 46542RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Jackson County-Scottsboro Grotto

Postby amaddox » Oct 27, 2005 7:43 am

cave rat wrote:Are you all talking about the booklet "Guide to Responsible Caving"? If you are, I have 500 of them here for a huge Boy Scout event here next month. The NSS donated me 4 cases of 500 booklets and pamphlets each for the event.
Cave Rat,
This is something different. I did order "A Guide to Responsible Caving" and "Fragile Underground". They sent me those plus this other one. If you want I could e-mail you a PDF for you to look over. I don't even see it listed in the brochure section of the web site.
BTW, I'm glad to see you can get an audience that big. What's the venue? How did you get? I'd like to try something like that up here.

Allen
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Dan Sullivan » Oct 27, 2005 9:19 am

Allen,
I would love to see a copy of "Cave Exploring By Youth Groups; Information for Youth Group Members, Leaders, and Parents."

Could you E-mail me a copy also?

Cave Softly,
Dan
Dan Sullivan

Postby amaddox » Oct 27, 2005 10:08 am

Dan Sullivan wrote:Allen,
I would love to see a copy of "Cave Exploring By Youth Groups; Information for Youth Group Members, Leaders, and Parents."

Could you E-mail me a copy also?

Cave Softly,
Dan

Just send me your e-mail address. Mine is trailsitter@yahoo.com

Allen Maddox 55464
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cave rat » Oct 27, 2005 6:30 pm

Allen,

Yes, please send me the PDF. I would like to have a copy.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a good PDF writter, there is a Free Ware program you can down load called PDF995. It will convert anything to PDF and convert PDF to text. It will also combine all PDF's into one single PDF. The program is really good.

The event I am doing is a thing all the Boy Scout Councils are doing throughout the state of Alabama. It is being done at the NASCAR Talladega Speedway Track in Talladega, Al. This will be a 30,000 to 40,000 scouter Encampment.

I just asked the Greater Alabama Council if they would be interested in me doing caving information booth at the High Adventure area of the track and they said sure. I am going to be set up in one of the ARCA or NEXTEL garages in Pit Row of the track. They will have all kind of activities there to do from live bands to a Fireworks show.
Cave Rat
NSS 46542RE
SCCI
Jackson County/Scottsboro Grotto
cave rat
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 46542RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Jackson County-Scottsboro Grotto

Postby Patricia Bingham » Oct 29, 2005 9:41 am

The NSS brochure you folks are talking about has been replaced by the brochures currently listed on the website. I've asked the NSS office to quit sending them out to folks (this morning). I had asked the office staff to stop sending this out, but I think we have had a change-over in staffing at the NSS office since then and the word apparently didn't get passed on to the new staff.

I'd rather not see the old ones used now, if you wouldn't mind.

If you want to hand things out at BSA events, I think the NSS office has the current version of the BSA Caving brochure (19-102A, the 2003 printing). Please be sure you are using current info as the new ones, both from BSA and NSS, have considerable improvements (IMHO).

Or maybe not. What do you think?
Patricia Bingham
Frequent Poster

Postby amaddox » Oct 30, 2005 10:41 am

Patricia Bingham wrote:The NSS brochure you folks are talking about has been replaced by the brochures currently listed on the website. I've asked the NSS office to quit sending them out to folks (this morning). I had asked the office staff to stop sending this out, but I think we have had a change-over in staffing at the NSS office since then and the word apparently didn't get passed on to the new staff.

I'd rather not see the old ones used now, if you wouldn't mind.

If you want to hand things out at BSA events, I think the NSS office has the current version of the BSA Caving brochure (19-102A, the 2003 printing). Please be sure you are using current info as the new ones, both from BSA and NSS, have considerable improvements (IMHO).

Or maybe not. What do you think?

OK Pat, I'm going to put a stick in the bee's nest here. The 19-102A is directed towards the BSA adult leaders planning the trip. It's a great borchure. It's also hard to get hold of. I know that my own Coucil didn't have a clue what I was talking about and I had to order it special through them from National Headquarter Supply. They only would send 2 copies and I got 1 of them. This was for the whole Chester County Council.
The other brochure has good information directed towards the youth members and their parents, as well as the leaders, and it's not specific towards BSA.
I think both a good on their own. They may be redundant, but that's OK, as long as they are both giving the same information. I have to go over them both to see if there are any discrepancies.
I think there are some other good brochures on the NSS web site for download. If you want the orginal one discontinued because of inacurate information, that's important and we should be dicontinuing it and using the current information.
There's a lot of information out there. We just need to be consistant and have it easy to get hold of and distribute.

Allen
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Patricia Bingham » Nov 11, 2005 5:24 am

Sorry for having taken so long to reply. There is something wrong with my computer; usually I can't even access the NSS website, and I've been told that I managed to correctly install the pdf forms of all the youth brouchures, but I can't view them on the website. Argh!! It takes about 5 minutes just to get the "reply" screen up and running. (whine, whine, whine)

Anyway, what bee's nest?

I've promised to get the BSA brochure on the website and I'll work on that today. I've tried before, but didn't persist and this is in no way the fault of the folks at BSA. Please keep hounding me for this. Seriously.

I thought simply having the brochures as a downloadable item would be sufficient, but Van has brought up an excellent point; what to do when you are volunteering your time to distribute info? You shouldn't have to pay to print this out for distribution. So I think the right answer would be to have these printed up professionally for distribution. I guess I need to find someone to foot the bill or work it out some other way. What are your suggestions?
Patricia Bingham
Frequent Poster

Postby amaddox » Nov 11, 2005 8:41 am

Patricia Bingham wrote:Sorry for having taken so long to reply. There is something wrong with my computer; usually I can't even access the NSS website, and I've been told that I managed to correctly install the pdf forms of all the youth brochures, but I can't view them on the website. Argh!! It takes about 5 minutes just to get the "reply" screen up and running. (whine, whine, whine)

Anyway, what bee's nest?

I've promised to get the BSA brochure on the website and I'll work on that today. I've tried before, but didn't persist and this is in no way the fault of the folks at BSA. Please keep hounding me for this. Seriously.

I thought simply having the brochures as a down-loadable item would be sufficient, but Van has brought up an excellent point; what to do when you are volunteering your time to distribute info? You shouldn't have to pay to print this out for distribution. So I think the right answer would be to have these printed up professionally for distribution. I guess I need to find someone to foot the bill or work it out some other way. What are your suggestions?

Pat,

Professionally printed would be nice. Not everyone can print out the brochures. But, ...... some Scout Leaders are very OK with getting documents off the internet to reproduce locally on their own dime. Some even prefer this method. Some of the larger Boy Scout Troops distribute the documents electronically so the individual families can print them out or view them on the computer. The BSA Units themselves, most of the time, have the resources and the finance to distribute printed material within their own Unit.
So, don't sweet it. I think the format you have things in is fine.

As for your computer, if your on the second floor or higher, open up the window and throw it out the window :lol: .

Allen
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Youth Groups Forum