Newcomer from Atlanta, GA

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Newcomer from Atlanta, GA

Postby anndr0id » Jan 8, 2007 10:48 am

Greetings Everyone!

I just happened upon this site while looking for local caves. It looks like a great source of info! Hopefully I will meet some other Georgia cavers as well as I only know one other person as of now.

To introduce myself, my name is Ann, I'm 25, I live in Midtown Atlanta, and I'm a web programmer by trade. I got into caving last year when I went for the first time to Raccoon Mountain, and fell completely in love with it. I am hoping to go to Cumberland Caverns this weekend actually as well if things go as I'd like them too.

If anyone from the local area reads this, I was hoping someone could point me to a local shop that might have good deals on supplies. Thanks :D
anndr0id
Infrequent Poster

Postby wendy » Jan 8, 2007 11:18 am

Welcome.

There are a ton of cavers in yuor area and also the Dogwood City Grotto meets in Atlanta area. (Grotto is a caving club associated with the NSS).

As far as local shops, you may get some things from REI, but I usually shop on the internet at On Rope 1 and Inner Mountain Outfitters. At a lot of caving events there is a vendors area, where thoese folks and many others set up tents and I do my 'in person' shopping then. You can probably google search both of those places. Also somewhere on the board there is a thread about what gear a caver needs. Maybe in the equipment section?
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Tim White » Jan 8, 2007 11:27 am

Welcome to CaveChat! :kewl:

If you have not already done so, check out the National Speleological Society (NSS) site at: http://www.caves.org for more good info.

The Dogwood City Grotto is one of the largest and most active caving clubs of the NSS. Our meetings are held the first Tuesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. sharp at REI of Atlanta, located at 1800 Northeast Expressway in Atlanta GA, near the intersection of I-85 and Clairmont Road. Come on by next month. http://www.dcg-nss.org/

BTW: My wife Berta and I live in Suwanee.
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby tagkaver » Jan 8, 2007 1:02 pm

welcome to the board Ann. maybe sometime you can come over to Alabama and we can do some Bama caves.
Jon Cammon(tagkaver)
Jackson County Grotto
Cullman Grotto
NSS 39428
tagkaver
Frequent Poster

Postby Sneakers » Jan 9, 2007 3:10 pm

You should totally come to a DCG meeting! They're pretty cool! If you come just yell Sneakers and I'll respond! :woohoo: (I just think that smiley is cute! heehee!)
I'd rather die doing something exciting instead of dying comfy in my bed!
Sneakers
Occasional Poster

Postby Tim White » Jan 9, 2007 4:15 pm

We make "most" of the DCG meetings... :oops: but Berta flew out to Calif. for 2 weeks on the 2nd.

I'll make sure to look you up next month.
Last edited by Tim White on Jan 10, 2007 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby graveleye » Jan 9, 2007 7:04 pm

I'm at most of them too. You'll recognize me because I will be wearing jeans and a t-shirt! :tonguecheek:
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby anndr0id » Jan 10, 2007 11:16 am

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!! I'm just going to make one big post replying to everyone :)

Wendy - those sites are great, thank you for the links. I've been reading the equip section and have found great info, it seems as if everyone has quite strong opinions on whats the best. :D

Tim - Thank you for the link! I will definitely come to the meeting next month, I've been meaning to head up to REI soon anyway! I was thinking for sure there was Atlanta area cavers in theNSS, but was thrown off when looking at the location specific areas in this forum, since there isn't one for Dogwood there yet I guess?

tagkaver - I love to travel so I totally would! I've been going to Tennessee as I still like the "guided" tours so I don't get lost. hehe

Sneakers - Awesome, I'll definitely be there and will say hello. Your icon is ADORABLE btw!!!!

graveleye - Haha! Thanks, that helps. Is everyone else in business casual? ;)
anndr0id
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions