Crawlathon January 2007

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby caverdoc » Dec 20, 2006 6:40 pm

Andy
You've done an impressive job on the website, keep it up.

I'll just be glad to be back in KY and heading underground.

Evan: I'll be lucky to fit through Crisco Crack. That's why I bought it :laughing: Someday I'll get back up to your neck of the woods.

Dr J
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby caverdoc » Dec 20, 2006 7:10 pm

"READY FOR INSPECTION, SIR!"Image
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby Scott McCrea » Dec 23, 2006 9:00 pm

I signed up for Pit Plunging also. Can't wait!
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby caverdoc » Jan 1, 2007 9:47 am

Scott
It should be a veritable orgy of gear-goodness. Think we could talk the guides into letting us rig the pits with 8mm push ropes?
I'll likely be Frogging, as usual.
My "ready for inspection" pic above is from the BCCR rescue camp this year, on Vancouver Island. Awesome experience, not to be missed; I'm already planning on attending the next one in 2008.
Dr J
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdoc » Jan 6, 2007 7:26 pm

Got my confirmation of trips today from Carter Caves State Resort Park. Got Pit Plunging in Saturday and Cascade Gone Wild on Sunday (with about 39 other cavers, the trip is full already).

See everybody there.

Dr J
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Jan 8, 2007 10:10 pm

I am confirmed for Pit Plunging too. If anyone hasn't done so already, registration ends on Jan. 16. You can't reg when you get there. You have to pre-reg.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Postby Andy » Jan 8, 2007 10:45 pm

Correction: Yes - you can register onsite for the Crawlathon. If you miss the January 16 advance registration deadline you can register when you arrive.
Andy
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 29094 FL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dayton Underground Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » Jan 8, 2007 10:51 pm

Oh, my bad. Thanks for the correction, Andy!
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Postby chh » Jan 10, 2007 5:07 pm

I'll be there with the WUSSes in our Cabin. The cabins at the park have surely been booked for some time, I don't know about the lodge rooms, but there are other options nearby in Olive Hill and the surrounding area.

Also, I believe the trip they are calling Carter City Connection this year is to the caves at the top of the hill in Carter, that are otherwise closed all year. Since there's no Burchett's trip this year, that one would be good for caves you wouldn't normally get to see on a trip to Carter.

Stop on buy and say hi guys!

-caleb
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby caverdoc » Jan 10, 2007 11:30 pm

caleb
I'll probably stop by and use your bathtub to warm up since I think I'll get a campsite :woohoo: My deep-seated self-hatred and loathing say it's better to camp in the winter. That's how you teach your friends what the stages of hypothermia are! :shock:

Seriously, I'll probably get a motel room. :grin:

The Cascade trip on Sunday is FULL, I got on that.
look forward to seeing/meeting my cavechat*dot*org buddies, especially since I haven't been caving in KY since 1980.

Dr J
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby chh » Jan 11, 2007 10:51 am

That's how you teach your friends what the stages of hypothermia are!

Experience is the best teacher, right? :rofl:

Actually if the weather holds :pray: it wouldn't be that bad. We're hanging out down there on weekends Jan and Feb trying to get some work done for our newsletter. It's been really nice. A little wet, but otherwise very mild. The camp bathrooms are nice and warm and the water is hot! Practically the Ritz...

Safe travels,

-c
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby caverdoc » Jan 11, 2007 1:34 pm

I'm on the vertical trip so I'll be schlepping some ropes and at least two vertical rigs. If anybody wants to get together and fine-tune their SRT rig I'll be happy to help. Will bring a spool of spectra for making folks custom footlloops, some tubing, maybe some buckles and stuff. Won't cost ya anything (except some Diet Coke). Would be nice if we could dangle a rope inside someplace so folks could hang in their harnesses.

I'm excited about seeing Jim Pisarowicz since I have over 20 mapping trips into Wind Cave, SD and want to catch up on park happenings.

See everybody in Kentucky!

Dr Jay

PS I'll be bringing copies of the new Alpine Karst
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdoc » Jan 24, 2007 10:46 am

I'll be bringing copies of the latest Alpine Karst magazine and two Wheat Lamps to Crawlathon. They are a 5100 and 5200, the one is converted to remove the lock mechanism so you can change bulbs underground. Lexan lenses, spare bulbs, parts etc. Both hold at least a 10 hour charge. They have been sitting on my bathroom counter (keeping acid away from nylon, eh?)the last couple years being charged/discharged. NEVER have taken them underground
Since I now have a stenlight there's really no point in keeping them, selling for $75 each w/parts and chargers.

Dr J
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Caver Events