Pack Repair

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Pack Repair

Postby Casper » Nov 28, 2006 9:25 pm

In June my car was totaled. Of course my gear was in the back and part of it was totally destroyed. I've got a lost Creek pack which I think is salvagable though. Anyone have any suggestions on how to patch a few holes that were ripped in the side of it?

They are small and resemble holes a mouse might have made. I'm guessing they were cut in it by glass as it was everywhere. After washing the pack a few times I think I've got all the glass out of it. I have to sew one of the straps back on that was cut in two somehow. Thank goodness for the upholstry sewing machine out in the shop.
Casper
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 52370

Postby Evan G » Nov 28, 2006 10:12 pm

[center]:helmet: [/center]

On a cloth pack, I used "Canvas Grip"(Buy thru Bob & Bob) and a patch of canvas.

Put the Canvas Grip on the Canvas Patch, then put it over the hole. If you want you can put some stitching on the inside edge of the Canvas Patch to hold it on for longer. Canvas Grip alone will last a long time. The Canvas Patch can be a large or as small as you want it, but remember to set some heavy books or other on top of the patch after it is attached then let it cure overnight.

There are a few products on the market that enable you to glue patches onto the indiscretions the cave leaves behind. Of these, Canvas Grip is probably the best known readily available clothing glue. Gluing takes a lot less time and effort than sewing patches or darning the slings and arrows of outrageous caving. The down side to cotton coveralls is that you do need to repair them often and they cool you instead of warm you when they are wet. A sound you will become familiar with in caving is the ripping of your coveralls as you squeeze through a crack or slide over a rock

From PSC:http://www.psc-cavers.org/psc/caveclothing.html [center]:firstaid: [/center]
Last edited by Evan G on Nov 28, 2006 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby mabercrombie » Nov 28, 2006 10:18 pm

My lost creek style bag had holes worn in the nylon from dragging it behind me. I peiced the corners back together as best i could and covered the area around it with polyurethane glue (resole?). its not pretty but it has been holding up really well for the last several months.
Im Marty Abercrombie
and I approve this message
mabercrombie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: marty abercrombie
NSS #: 51557
Primary Grotto Affiliation: chattanooga

Postby Evan G » Nov 28, 2006 10:23 pm

mabercrombie wrote:My lost creek style bag had holes worn in the nylon from dragging it behind me. I peiced the corners back together as best i could and covered the area around it with polyurethane glue (resole?). its not pretty but it has been holding up really well for the last several months.

Barge Cement?

http://www.hanksclothing.com/Barge%20Rubber%20Cement.html
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby mabercrombie » Nov 28, 2006 10:36 pm

its called freesole, and is marketed for fixing shoes

http://www.howiesharnesses.com/catalog/ ... cts_id=273
Im Marty Abercrombie
and I approve this message
mabercrombie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: marty abercrombie
NSS #: 51557
Primary Grotto Affiliation: chattanooga

Postby Evan G » Nov 28, 2006 10:40 pm

Thanks Marty,

Barge does the same, but I'm always on the look out for different products. I just bought some freesole.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Equipment Forum