suggestions for a camera box

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby ethan » Nov 3, 2006 3:00 pm

cavernelson wrote:My friend has Canon digital camera and has a watertight case mde by canon. It allows him to use all the little buttons on the camera through the case. It is waterproof up to 500 ft (I think thats what he said).
[url]http://www.helixcamera.com/fs-canon-ps-cases.html
Has several cases made for specific cameras. Perfect for caving, just a little pricey.[/url]

I really wouldn't consider these cases to be great for caving, unless you're in something that is really wet and you're mostly swimming. While they will keep your camera dry through full immersion, they're fairly fragile and sensitive to getting dirt under the buttons. It's also annoying to try to keep the lens clear when using it out of the water - you tend to get drops that ruin the photos. If you're in the water all the time, they work fine, but they're not made to be bashed around.

Ethan
ethan
Occasional Poster

Name: Ethan Brodsky
NSS #: 53507
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WSS

Postby cavernelson » Nov 3, 2006 3:29 pm

He carries it in a pelican case, but whenever he stops to pull out the camera it is protected well. He is a diver primarily. I would not recommend just dragging it through a cave.

cavernelson
Infrequent Poster

Postby hunter » Nov 3, 2006 7:32 pm

It's not quite on the original post since it's for a larger camera and not very cheap. I have a Rebel XT and before that a Pentax K1000 and I have had no problems using the Medium Ortlieb Aquacam case:
http://www.wisementrading.com/canoe/camera_dry_bags.htm
I can fit the camera with one or two flashes and some miscelaneous stuff. The main reasons I use this case are:
1) It fits in my large swaygo with enough room for a days worth of caving stuff.
2) I can carry the case around my neck while taking photos and I don't have to set it down (which I do with a Pelican).
3) It is way lighter than a comparable size Pelican.

Anyway, I figured I'd mention the option because it has worked for me and I have never seen a caver using a similar case....

James
hunter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum