Does anybody know what kind of light this is?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Does anybody know what kind of light this is?

Postby FiddleCaver » Oct 5, 2006 10:27 am

Hello, I'm new. I previously posted an introduction and this question in the Caver Introductions section...

I just watched Journey Into Amazing Caves and I didn't recognize the electric lights they were using on their helmets. Anybody know?

FiddleCaver
Prolific Poster

Re: Does anybody know what kind of light this is?

Postby hank moon » Oct 5, 2006 10:31 am

FiddleCaver wrote:I just watched Journey Into Amazing Caves and I didn't recognize the electric lights they were using on their helmets. Anybody know?

THey look like NiteRider lights...

http://www.niterider.com/

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 5, 2006 11:05 am

I'd guess NiteRider's as well. But the little lights under brim of the helmet that light up her face are a mystery to me. If all else fails, you could contact Hazel (the girl in the picture) and ask her. I'll see Nancy, the other girl in the movie, this weekend at TAG--I'll ask her if I can remember. :toast:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Oct 5, 2006 1:13 pm

Hazel is still on this board isn't she? Ohhh H! Maybe her buddy Barbara knows... :grin:
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Lights

Postby Hazel » Oct 5, 2006 4:42 pm

Hank is correct, the two lights in front were in NiteRider lights - I would not recommend them for caving - heavy battery, annoying cord, narrow beam.

The light on top is my ceiling burner (Petzl carbide generator) - brilliant light, but for cold, wet caves.

The light on the brim was entirely for the IMAX - it shone directly into our eyes/faces, so we wouldn't be dim blobs on the screen. Absolutely NO use for caving, at least if you actually want to see in front of you.

I currently use a Petzl Due with the 14-LED array and adore it. I did just come across a Foxfire Performance, which I almost refused to wear because I looked so damned goofy, but loved it so much I wouldn't give it back!!

Hope that helps - H

PS - Hello Ralf, sorry about being quiet - just too darn busy. I do check out the forum every day though, must be a habit from being on the board.

Ciao
Hazel
Infrequent Poster

Postby FiddleCaver » Oct 5, 2006 5:22 pm

Thanks Hazel, I'm using a Myo XP and a brinkman 1 watt. I've been experimenting with the 5 watt luxeons but haven't quite got the design good for caving yet. I had not seen anyone with the particuar nightriders you guys had and was just a bit curious.

Allen
Allen NSS#57424
FiddleCaver
Prolific Poster

Re: Lights

Postby hank moon » Oct 5, 2006 9:31 pm

Hazel wrote:I currently use a Petzl Due with the 14-LED array and adore it.

Glad to hear it...hey, is it the "old" 14-LED array or the new one? When did you get it?

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Equipment Forum