Caving Knife

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby paul » Aug 25, 2006 6:15 am

I usually have a Petzl Spatha Knife. A small lightweight folding knife that can be clipped to a carabiner and opened with one hand.
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby cheshire » Aug 26, 2006 9:40 am

I usually carry a leatherman-like multitool in my pack. I've also got a miniature one in a case sewn into my harness. I've only needed that one once, but when I needed it, I REALLY needed it.

IMO used to sell a knife I was thinking about getting for my vertical pack. It was partially serrated folding knife, and a the other end it had a folding blunted spike to help with loosening knots. I haven't seen one around for a couple of years though.
Mike Fraley
http://www.caves.org/member/mfraley
cheshire
Infrequent Poster

caving knife

Postby nordicjw » Aug 26, 2006 12:38 pm

Mike, I believe the knife your talking about would be a folding knife with a marlin spike. A couple of examples are Mercury Fine Marlin Spike Boating Pocket Knife ($25) or Wichard Glow Rigging Knife($40) glows in the dark..
nordicjw
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: ccg

Re: caving knife

Postby JoeyS » Aug 26, 2006 5:03 pm

nordicjw wrote:Mike, I believe the knife your talking about would be a folding knife with a marlin spike. A couple of examples are Mercury Fine Marlin Spike Boating Pocket Knife ($25) or Wichard Glow Rigging Knife($40) glows in the dark..

Actually that's the knife I use, the Wichard Glowing knife... It's so cool... Mine doesn't have the spike on it though...
JoeyS
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » Aug 27, 2006 8:23 am

cheshire wrote:I usually carry a leatherman-like multitool in my pack. I've also got a miniature one in a case sewn into my harness. I've only needed that one once, but when I needed it, I REALLY needed it.

Hi Mike,

So, why did you need it? What's the rest of the story?
Last edited by Scott McCrea on Aug 29, 2006 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby potholer » Aug 29, 2006 2:57 pm

Underground, I usually carry a low-end Swiss Army knife (2xblades, bottle/tin openers with screwdriver blades, awl and corkscrew), and sometimes a stubby part-serrated lockknife I found in a crawl.
On the Swiss Army knife, I've used the blades underground fairly often, and the larger screwdriver blade and awl somewhat less often for lamp repairs.
The tin opener has been handy a few times for recovering from failures of food tin ring-pulls, or failures to buy ring-pull food tins.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby werewolf » Sep 11, 2006 6:44 pm

Andy Shoun wrote:Sweet! but I hear the Victorinox is coming out with a glow in the dark titanium version (non-magnetic) that includes a built in rappel device, ascender, compass and inclinometer for cavers!

I'm waiting for one that has bicycle wheels that pop out so i can ride it downhill.
werewolf
Prolific Poster

Postby werewolf » Sep 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:
hank moon wrote:most often I carry THIS, but take something beefier if I expect a lot of cutting (i.e. anchor webbing).

Cool knife, Hank. While looking around Trango's web site, I noticed they are selling a bumper sticker. I think I need one. LINK

"My best vacation is your worst nightmare"? I'll pass on that one, thank you. God knows how people might interpret that!
werewolf
Prolific Poster

Postby werewolf » Sep 11, 2006 6:50 pm

kver33 wrote:Here you go, now a Bumpersticker for Cavers:

Yeah, the one with the caving pictures is much better - kinda clarifies what you're talking about.
werewolf
Prolific Poster

Postby werewolf » Sep 11, 2006 6:55 pm

Does anyone carry a Leatherman "Juice"? If so, would you happen to have any idea if there is some secret method that might get the alleged can opener to actually open cans, as opposed to just slowly chewing them open, very slowly?

I also have an old Imperial Schrade stainless steel jack knife which in a lot of ways I like better than the new fangled knives, but they stopped making it years ago. They knew how to make can openers back then too.
werewolf
Prolific Poster

Postby mabercrombie » Oct 3, 2006 8:56 pm

ive stated carrying a leatherman on my harness when I began using a half moon mallion, If theres even a little dirt in the threads it does not want to come open.
I may have a petzle spatha in my pack, and Im thinking real hard about getting an Ice axe to cave with to
Im Marty Abercrombie
and I approve this message
mabercrombie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: marty abercrombie
NSS #: 51557
Primary Grotto Affiliation: chattanooga

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Oct 4, 2006 1:03 am

werewolf wrote:
Scott McCrea wrote:
hank moon wrote:most often I carry THIS, but take something beefier if I expect a lot of cutting (i.e. anchor webbing).

Cool knife, Hank. While looking around Trango's web site, I noticed they are selling a bumper sticker. I think I need one. LINK

"My best vacation is your worst nightmare"? I'll pass on that one, thank you. God knows how people might interpret that!

Well it does have a bottle opener... but ever since the beer (and almost every other glassed beverage) comes in a screw capped bottle what's the point of having one anymore?
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Oct 4, 2006 2:07 am

mabercrombie wrote:ive stated carrying a leatherman on my harness when I began using a half moon mallion, If theres even a little dirt in the threads it does not want to come open.
I may have a petzle spatha in my pack, and Im thinking real hard about getting an Ice axe to cave with to

This can also be due to having your harness on with the mailon undone (whilst off rope obviously) it stretches the two ends appart and the threads don't line up quite as well as they did before so it's hard to do up or undo.

If it's steel your probably safe putting it in a vice and squashing the ends together, carefully. :wink: I wouldn't try it with an aluminium one though aluminium doesn't like being bent much.

PS: You could also oil it and clean out the threads, nut I guess you did that already.
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby potholer » Oct 4, 2006 3:33 am

Well it does have a bottle opener... but ever since the beer (and almost every other glassed beverage) comes in a screw capped bottle what's the point of having one anymore?

So all bottled beer is screw-top over there?
It's still mainly crown corks over here, but even in the absence of a suitable penknife, the top end of an open Petzl Stop is a stunningly good bottle opener.
potholer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wendy » Oct 4, 2006 5:23 am

potholer wrote:

So all bottled beer is screw-top over there?
It's still mainly crown corks over here, but even in the absence of a suitable penknife, the top end of an open Petzl Stop is a stunningly good bottle opener.

No all bottled beer. Corona and I beleive Heiniken yuoui must use a bottle opener to open.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum