NEW Mini Maglite 3-watt LED

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

A good item for your wish list?

You betcha - MagLites are great!
79%
Dunno - I could take it or leave it
21%
Nah - I don't really like Maglites and/or LEDs
No votes

Total votes : 33

Re: new LED mini mags

Postby David_Campen » Oct 3, 2006 5:08 pm

RobVan wrote:I'm disappointed that they didn't use 1 watt LEDs for better battery life. The flashlight.com review says they go only a little more than 3 hours per set of batteries, and the light output is not much more than the 1 watt LED.

Robert

Just because they are using a "3-watt LED" doesn't mean that they are driving it at 3 watts. I suspect that it is actually being driven at about 1 to 1.5 watt. A pair of AA alkaline cells would not last any where near 3 hours driving 3 watts.

On the positive side, since the review seems to indicate that there is some sort of voltage regulation circuitry then you might be able to use Lithium AA cells and perhaps double the burn time.

Edit: I see where Flashlightreviews says that the manufacturer specifies only Alkaline cells. That makes the light useless to me.

Edit again: I looked at the first page of the CandlepowerForum link that was posted earlier and I see that the 2 AA light was tested with Lithium cells and got 6 hours of burn time. It still remains though that the manufacturer has said to use only alkaline cells.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... ge=1&pp=30
David_Campen
Prolific Poster

Postby cob » Oct 3, 2006 6:11 pm

David_Campen wrote: It still remains though that the manufacturer has said to use only alkaline cells.

Don't know... not saying... but maybe because of a kickback arrangement between the manufacturer and battery makers???? (they do this all the time in Hollywood)
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

LED mini mag run time

Postby RobVan » Oct 5, 2006 2:14 pm

Thanks for the info, David. Would the 3-AA version last 50 percent longer than the 2-AA version, or would that also be a misconception?

I found the 3-AA model at Home Depot for only $20, but they don't seem to stock the 2-AA at all.

Robert
RobVan
Infrequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Oct 5, 2006 4:37 pm

David_Campen wrote:Edit: I see where Flashlightreviews says that the manufacturer specifies only Alkaline cells. That makes the light useless to me.

Edit again: I looked at the first page of the CandlepowerForum link that was posted earlier and I see that the 2 AA light was tested with Lithium cells and got 6 hours of burn time. It still remains though that the manufacturer has said to use only alkaline cells.

Yeah, it's a mystery to me why a manufacturer's marketing department would be *dumb* enough to only specify using alkaline AA's with their product. Especially when most of us are going to ignore their 'advice' and use NiMHs or lithiums anyway. Good thing the nice folks at Candle Power Forums don't follow the manufacturer's advice too closely when reviewing products. Thanks, guys! :wink:

This past week I did a little field test with my '3 watt' 2xAA Mini Mag LED, my 3 watt 4xD Mag LED, and my 1 watt PT EOS. Nothing scientific here, but the Mini Mag was only about the same brightness as the 1 watt EOS - although in fairness I was using NiMHs in both, and the ones in the Mag had already been used for maybe an hour or so. When focused, the spot on the Mini Mag was slightly better than the fixed spot on the EOS.

I then did a comparison with my big Mag LED, with old alkalines in it. (I was going to replace the batteries when my halogen bulb started looking dim, but then I swapped in the LED and it was bright again!) Anyway, the focused spot on the 4xD LED was at least twice as bright as the Mini Mag LED. I always expected the Mini Mag to be a somewhat 'underpowered' 3 watt LED, but I'm still happy to carry it in my caving pack as a small spotting flashlight.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Re: LED mini mag run time

Postby NZcaver » Oct 5, 2006 4:48 pm

RobVan wrote:Would the 3-AA version last 50 percent longer than the 2-AA version, or would that also be a misconception?

Perhaps the difference is that the 3xAA is brighter than the 2xAA, rather than having a longer battery life? Flashlightreviews.com hasn't tested the 3xAA yet, but maybe a search on Candlepower forums might yield the answer...
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby JoeyS » Oct 5, 2006 9:25 pm

On Rope 1 lists this light:
http://www.onrope1.com/index.php?mode=s ... er=GEN03-X

A princeton tec 3 watt running on 2 cr123's. Any of you PT die hards have one? Could you compare it to the new mini mag 3-bagger? I realize that the MM is AAx2 whereas the PT runs on lithiums so it is a rough comparison at best.

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby Mike Cato » Oct 6, 2006 9:21 am

Picked up one of the 2 AA mini-mags at the Wal yesterday. It does seem to be about the same brightness as my 1-watt Tikka XP.

A nice addition to the photon arsenal, however.

P.S.-- Stay away from the $5 3-LED upgrade to the standard 2 AA mini-mag. What a piece of junk. Unless, of course, you like an uneven oddball shaped light beam.
Mike Cato
Mike Cato
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 51489
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville SCCi

Postby David_Campen » Oct 6, 2006 1:26 pm

NZcaver wrote:
RobVan wrote:Would the 3-AA version last 50 percent longer than the 2-AA version, or would that also be a misconception?

Perhaps the difference is that the 3xAA is brighter than the 2xAA, rather than having a longer battery life? Flashlightreviews.com hasn't tested the 3xAA yet, but maybe a search on Candlepower forums might yield the answer...

This information is now on the 1st page of the CandlePowerForums link that you posted earlier. There are light output vs runtime graphs of the 2AA and the 3AA with Alkaline and Lithium batteries. Ignore the values stated in the text above each graph and instead compare the actual graphs.

With Lithium batteries the light output is fairly constant over the 1st 4 hours of the test with the 3AA version about 50% brighter. Between hours 4-5 the 3AA output drops off very rapidly and at hour 5 is dimmer than the 2AA. After hour 6 both versions are mostly spent.

With alkaline batteries the 3AA again starts out 50% brighter. The 2AA output drops quickly to near nothing after 4 hours but the 3 AA version fades out more slowly between hours 4-7.
David_Campen
Prolific Poster

Postby NZcaver » Oct 6, 2006 1:59 pm

David_Campen wrote:This information is now on the 1st page of the CandlePowerForums link that you posted earlier. There are light output vs runtime graphs of the 2AA and the 3AA with Alkaline and Lithium batteries. Ignore the values stated in the text above each graph and instead compare the actual graphs.

:doh: I knew I'd seen those graphs somewhere - thanks for the reminder. :grin:

I wish they'd also tested with 2500mAH NiMHs, but I guess I can't have everything my way. The time values they use are to 50% brightness, but I too find it more useful to just look at the curve. It's blatantly obvious the 2xAA version suddenly drops off to nothing after it's initial gentle regulated decline. Certainly something to keep in mind if you're using one of these things...
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby dweller » Dec 1, 2006 7:45 am

i converted my 3-c maglite with the 3 watt led bulb for$18 from wal-mart.i love it really like the fact that its focusable.really puts out some light as well.
dweller
Infrequent Poster

Postby dweller » Dec 10, 2006 11:52 pm

i read on a mag-lite review site that the mag wasnt supposed to take rechargeables in the c-d does anyone know about this?
dweller
Infrequent Poster

Postby JoeyS » Dec 21, 2006 10:03 am

dweller wrote:i read on a mag-lite review site that the mag wasnt supposed to take rechargeables in the c-d does anyone know about this?

I don't think they manufacture many rechargeable C or D cells anymore do they? I haven't seen any at the box stores anyway...

On a side note, I received a 2 AA version of the 3 watt last night as a Christmas present. I'm interested in seeing how the output compares to a 3 AA cell version.
I also got my Dad the big 3 D cell version for Christmas to keep in his truck. I was hoping I could open it up last night to test it out without damaging packaging (leaving evidence of my crime). Dang blister packs :hairpull:
Guess I'll wait till he opens it, then quickly snatch it away and run to a dark closet :banana:

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby erebus » Dec 21, 2006 10:32 am

NiMH 'D' cells They also have 'C' and 9-volt NiMH batteries.
erebus
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6752

Postby hewhocaves » Dec 22, 2006 12:58 am

I saw the 2AA and 3AAs at Lowe's today. Almost bought it. stupid stupid stupid me. :lol:

i guess i'll have to go back tomorrow!

john
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby FiddleCaver » Dec 22, 2006 3:13 am

JoeyS wrote:I don't think they manufacture many rechargeable C or D cells anymore do they? I haven't seen any at the box stores anyway...

You outta ebay that one. I found some 10000 mah D cells on there I've been dying to try. I'm just worried about the cheap chinese factor.

Anybody know if the mag is regulated. I'm just guessing that it's not, which means that it should be brighter with NiMH batteries. Am I on track?
Allen NSS#57424
FiddleCaver
Prolific Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum