TAG cave-in - help with cave selection...

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

TAG cave-in - help with cave selection...

Postby graveleye » Sep 28, 2006 9:40 am

I've talked to Wendy a bit about it, but I figure it wouldnt hurt to put out some feelers about finding a cave to do while at the cave-in.
I know y'all are sick of hearing it, but my wife is still recovering form her surgury.. doing much better too, but not quite there yet.
Last weekend I talked with a veteren caver who had had a hernia surgury too and he recommended that she not do anything too difficult in case she stumbles and has to regain her balance- might cause pain or worse tear something (unlikely at this point in her recovery, but there's still some muscle pain occasionally).

Here is our situation: The Doc told her nothing strenuous for 6 weeks.. the cave in is at 5 1/2 weeks from her surgury so we're almost there. She WANTS to go into a cave at least to poke around a bit and she's pretty confident that she will be able to do something at least. I'm leery of joining any sort of full-speed expedition because chances are we'll have to turn back, slow everyone down.

I'm a good hubby, so I'm not leaving her behind either, but we'll both be happy just with something easy, something hopefully pretty, that we wont have to go too far or stay too long.
If anyone has any recommendations, I sure would appreciate it. We're both still rather new at this anyway, so I dont know which cave has what to offer. Bless her heart, she doesnt want to be a drag to me or anyone else either.
The timing of this hasnt been good, but an easy trip would be a consolation prize. We'll be arriving Friday/mid-day, leaving Sunday mid/day.
I appreciate your help, and we're really looking forward to meeting everyone there:)
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Re: TAG cave-in - help with cave selection...

Postby cob » Sep 28, 2006 1:09 pm

graveleye wrote:Here is our situation: The Doc told her nothing strenuous for 6 weeks.. the cave in is at 5 1/2 weeks from her surgury so we're almost there.

Me thinks you may worry too much. The Doc said that because he has to cover ALL pateints. The question is, is she a quick healer?

I once busted up my ankle real bad, and went on expedition at the 6 wk mark. No problemo.

tom
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Sep 28, 2006 2:21 pm

she's pretty tough, but still having some pain occasionally when doing something different. its been 4 weeks now... at the beginning, she couldnt hardly roll over by herself. You would be surprised how many movements require muscles in your groin area.
Mainly, we want to tag along somewhere, but dont want to hold anyone up or ruin anyones trip if she starts feeling puny.
Ya, I worry, but she's my baby! :grin: I cant help it!
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby Hatch » Sep 28, 2006 2:47 pm

They're doing another cleanup at Manitou cave leaving at 10am Saturday morning from TAG. It's described as a "family friendly" cave that shouldn't be too hard on anyone.
Hatch
NSS# 56765

http://hatch.blogspot.com
Hatch
Prolific Poster

Name: J. Alan Hatcher
NSS #: 56765
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby graveleye » Sep 28, 2006 2:51 pm

hey! that one used to be a showcave a long time ago wasnt it?
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby wendy » Sep 28, 2006 6:01 pm

I don't remember Howard's Waterfall being too bad. No breakdown I remember, some bend half over walking passage, up right walking passage, and a couple hands and knees crawls. Pretty flat floor fro what I can remember too.

I did mention Sauta to you on Sunday.

Doing a clean up trip would be good too.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Return to Caver Events