2006 TAG Fall Cave-in

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby graveleye » Sep 22, 2006 12:47 pm

hey... so where is the nearest beer store to the cave in? I only know that little store up the street from the entrance to Cloudland. Or should I just load up my cooler before I get there? :grin:

Its funny, I was trying to see the location on Google Earth. They have some good hi-rez sat maps of the area, including Cloudland Canyon. So I am scrolling down torwards where the Cave-in is supposed to be and I see this pyramid in the middle of a field and I thought "Oh my gosh you can see the bonfire from OUTER SPACE!!" :rofl:

Turns out I was looking in the wrong place, but I got a good chuckle out it.... and I am still wondering what the pyramid was.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby wendy » Sep 22, 2006 5:54 pm

WINE: I'll bring a donation and some Florida wine as well

PYRAMIDS: Don't know, but there is a north Georgia cult that has pyraminds on their land, they had one near Eatonton one time, maybe they have more.

NOODLE WRESTLING: I heard a rumor that they may have ramen noodle wrestling at this years fall cave-in...is that true?
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby JoeyS » Sep 22, 2006 10:24 pm

I am being forced to drive by myself because Hatch's hatchback won't hold the amount of beer I plan on bringing. :banana:

Since I tweaked my back messing around with 5 gallon fermentors wilst guarding my pint of homebrew in one hand :doh: , I may be going light on the caving and heavy on the malt-medication.

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby graveleye » Sep 23, 2006 10:06 am

hey Joey, I'm hanging out with you old buddy! :kewl:

Pyramid on Lookout Mountain???

hmmmm... :question:
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Re: Saturday is great

Postby ljthawk » Sep 23, 2006 12:44 pm

rchrds wrote:

Ahem.. eh, yea- that is for sure. For some reason we were retarded last year and went caving Sunday, leaving our camp set up. (I suppose we thought everyone was leaving Monday?) That caused some folks anguish. By the time we finally got back late Sunday, nobody was too happy and crazy things were happening- the property owner's neighbor's dog had just been run over on the road outside (not by us) and then another caver's van rolled down the steep road below registration and smashed into a tree. It was a mess. We apologized profusely, made offers to help clean up the area in general (turned down) and then left before the craziness got worse.

Dang did I feel stupid.

Sorry again to all those folks, and I hope the guy with the van got it fixed?

J

No problem, honest mistake. Actually we were more worried that something might have happened to you (not knowing who you were) and that you could have either been trapped in a cave, in jail, etc.

Yes, Sunday night was full of hectic surprises.

L.J.
ljthawk
Frequent Poster

Postby mgmills » Sep 26, 2006 9:27 pm

graveleye wrote:hey... so where is the nearest beer store to the cave in? I only know that little store up the street from the entrance to Cloudland. Or should I just load up my cooler before I get there? :grin:

There is a market within 5-6 miles of the Cave-In site but if you want quality beer rather than the canned "standards" (BUD, Miller, Busch, Natural Light, PBR, the Beast, etc.) I'd recommend bringing it from afar.

I personally like beers with more flavor than the "standards". Yes, I'm a beer snob. . . :beer30: - I generally don't like canned beer.

Just remember if you go to the "SPA" glass isn't allowed so you will have to drink from a plastic or metal container.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby mgmills » Sep 26, 2006 9:32 pm

Another thing to help you plan if you feel the need to stay connected to the outside world - cell phones are sporadic at the Cave-In site.

Verizon has worked there for me at most of the work weekends. Cingular has performed poorly (I had that last year). Other providers sometimes work and sometimes don't.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Postby wendy » Sep 26, 2006 11:02 pm

mgmills wrote:Another thing to help you plan if you feel the need to stay connected to the outside world - cell phones are sporadic at the Cave-In site.

Verizon has worked there for me at most of the work weekends. Cingular has performed poorly (I had that last year). Other providers sometimes work and sometimes don't.

that's why I am bringing my little walkie talkie things, will be on channel 4 whenever I am in camp in case anyone wants to find me
wendy
Global Moderator

Postby JoeyS » Sep 27, 2006 7:06 am

mgmills wrote:Just remember if you go to the "SPA" glass isn't allowed so you will have to drink from a plastic or metal container.

What is the SPA, Martha? So can my bottles be toted in a cooler then poured in a cup for enjoyment?

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby graveleye » Sep 27, 2006 8:01 am

well, I just drink LITE now... yea.. I know, so I guess I am ok.

My cell phone got a good connection at Cloudland Canyon a couple of months ago, so maybe they have a better tower now.

Couple more questions since this is my first time. ...

Water... sinks etc?

Food. Whats the food situation like?
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby mgmills » Sep 27, 2006 8:12 am

graveleye wrote:Couple more questions since this is my first time. ...

Water... sinks etc?

Food. Whats the food situation like?

You definitely need to bring a water container. There are several spigots on site with potable water but they are located in the "central gathering areas".

There are showers. There are porta potties.

There is one dishwashing station (new this year) available near the bath house.

Re: food - this is the first year that Chattanooga grotto has not run a munchie stand. There are plans for some sort of food vending but the final plans are still being worked out. I'd at least bring some sandwich stuff. Sunday Morning there will be a pancake breakfast sponsored by a local rescue squad but you have to buy tickets (available at registration) in advance for that.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Postby wendy » Sep 27, 2006 9:31 am

JoeyS wrote:
mgmills wrote:Just remember if you go to the "SPA" glass isn't allowed so you will have to drink from a plastic or metal container.

What is the SPA, Martha? So can my bottles be toted in a cooler then poured in a cup for enjoyment?

The spa area is an area that is enclosed by a high wooden fence and it contains the hot tub and the sauna. Because of what people wear in that area after 5pm (or the lack of what they wear) no glass can be brought in at all. Can't risk something being broken in there. So I don't think that bringing the cooler in there and then changing cups would work.

The rest of the fall cave in area you can drink out of glass bottles, the spa area is just a small area of the campground.

Graveleye:
There are showers and sinks. They have built a wonderful bathhouse. And portapotties are located everywhere.

And make sure you buy a ticket for the breakfast, it is well worth it, and they often sell out.

Food: I usually eat lunch after caving. Some places I like are the depot restaurant in Rising Fawn, GA and there is a good mexican place in LaFayette, GA which is not too far away. Every year I end up going to both of these at some point. Dinner I usually cook in camp.

Martha:
Why aren't they running a munchie stand?
wendy
Global Moderator

Weather?

Postby wendy » Sep 27, 2006 10:12 am

I remember last year I did not bring weather appropriate clothing, being in Florida its pretty much warm allthe time, and I got up on the mountain and it was really cold.

Anyone know what the weather is supposed to be like? I know I can just check the forecast, but I like to here from folks that are in the area as to how things have been.
wendy
Global Moderator

Postby Tim White » Sep 27, 2006 10:24 am

There is way TOOOO much to do on Friday night. :hairpull: I want to see the expedition to Mount Thor 2006 slide/video and be there for the Q&A afterwards.:argue: :duel: It is right after the lighting of the Friday night fire. :campfire:

And Berta and I want to be at the cave-chat wine tasting... :toast: What time is the tasting gathering? Really want to take part. :happy:
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby wendy » Sep 27, 2006 10:35 am

I beleive the wine meet and greet is at 8pm on Friday night...what time do they light the fire?
wendy
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events