Waterproof/Dustproof DSLR

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby NZcaver » Sep 20, 2006 2:15 pm

Realms wrote:I agree with Chris. I'm not buying one because of the weatherproofing. I carry all my gear in pelicases already...

I like the concept of a water-resistant camera. I always cave with my (non-weatherproof) camera in a waterproof hard case. But each time I take it out to use, especially in tight/wet/muddy passages, it usually seems to get damp and muddy. Imagine that! It's lots of fun cleaning my camera after each trip. Although it's suffered minor damage before (not caving), I'm always mindful that one day this camera might die completely due to moisture getting inside. :cry:

Still, it's worth it for the photos... :wink:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Realms » Sep 20, 2006 3:23 pm

yeah those seals are really a plus. All cameras have to come out of the case to take the pic :-) I've had some close calls. My advice to caver/camera buyers who are not already into it is remember that no matter how great a manufacture seals up a camera, always transport it in some type of container. I have visions of someone trying to wear a weather resistant camera into a cave. Not that folks would but sometimes the hype and media can be a little misleading.

Time to haul in some more allowance for the camera :-)
never stop imagining what could someday come to pass...
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Waterproof/Dustproof DSLR

Postby NZcaver » Sep 16, 2008 9:32 pm

Old topic, new question about Pentax cameras. Anybody use one? Advice needed!

I've been thinking it's time to get myself a DSLR, after saying goodbye to my old 35mm Minolta SLR which hadn't been used in almost a decade. I like what Pentax has to offer. I prefer AA batteries rather than a proprietary Li-Ion pack, I like the small size/weight, the well-sealed body, the many lens options, the Shake Reduction feature built into the body instead of the lens, and the cost not being quite as offensive as some other brands.

I've been looking at the K100D, the K200D, and the K20D. They are 6 MP, 10 MP, and 14 MP respectively. I'm not convinced I need to be paying more for 14 MP resolution when the lesser models seem to do an adequate job. However the K20D does have a Live View feature, which I'm thinking might be useful enough to justify the extra cost.

I'm mainly aiming at above-ground use, and a DSLR will give me wider angle and longer time exposure options (among other features) that my other cameras don't offer. Underground I'm still happy using my Olympus C-5050 prosumer model, and a Canon A-540 with housing for quick shooting. I also like my newer Canon S3-IS for wildlife shots - it has a built-in 38-454mm (equivalent) image stabilized zoom which is working out very well for me. But... having an actual DSLR would sure be nice.

Any words of wisdom?

K20D review

NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Dec 10, 2008 8:31 pm

NZCaver wrote:I've been looking at the K100D, the K200D, and the K20D. They are 6 MP, 10 MP, and 14 MP respectively. I'm not convinced I need to be paying more for 14 MP resolution when the lesser models seem to do an adequate job. However the K20D does have a Live View feature, which I'm thinking might be useful enough to justify the extra cost.

These guys have a very thorough review of the K20D and the K200D:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk20d/

It seems there's a new one out too (K2000), oh the options huh? :laughing:
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Re:

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Dec 10, 2008 8:43 pm

Realms wrote:Not sure Wayne. The one I use now will shoot on average 700 pics before the batteries are gone. Due to that I run rechargables in it with some Lithiums for backups. I don't think that will be an option in this new camera. But it does come with a charger and I'd be up for buying some spare batteries.

700 pics is pretty dang good for an average cave photography trip. Even more so if one is inclined to take a few moments to delete bad pics while still sitting around (during a break) in the cave. I was looking at a Nikon DSLR and it had lots of bells and whistles and such... what would've gotten the sale however (had I the money :roll: ) was the very sweet 5 year insurance plan the Wolf's Camera shop had to offer. It covered any damage at all by water, shock, dropping, smashing, dust, WHATEVER! on the body, lenses and electronics, full replacement for roughly $500.00 more for five years. Now considering that, I think it's a good way to go.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby NZcaver » Dec 10, 2008 9:06 pm

wandalassiter wrote:If you want a good compact, go for the Canon G9. It has RAW, 12.1mp and all the features a DSLR has (Manual, AV priority, TV priority etc)without the expense of extra lenses. It has a 6x zoom which can be increased to 24x but at 24x your image suffers somewhat.You can also buy a 2x converter.

Welcome to the forum. The G9 is not a waterproof/dustproof DSLR, but thanks for the advertisement.

This post and your other recent one both relate to the G9, have no connection to caving, and the media halo link you posted seems to be irrelevant so I removed it. I hope you are not attempting to spam the forum. (Edit - I have since determined that you are indeed guilty of spamming this forum (and others), so I have now banned you and removed all your posts. Goodbye!)

fuzzy-hair-man wrote:These guys have a very thorough review of the K20D and the K200D:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk20d/
It seems there's a new one out too (K2000), oh the options huh? :laughing:

I am still procrastinating over DSLR choices. Too many choices! Arrgh! :hairpull: But I guess there's no hurry.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby YuccaPatrol » Dec 10, 2008 9:41 pm

Despite the spammer and the fact that the G series of Canon cameras are not actual dSLR's, these cameras are quite cave-worthy, especially since Canon does offer an affordable underwater housing to help it endure the cave environment. The only downside is the fact that you cannot directly attach a flash to the hotshoe with the Canon branded housing.
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Previous

Return to Photography and Videography Forum