Summer Jobs With Caving

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Summer Jobs With Caving

Postby PaulSiegel » Oct 2, 2005 4:04 pm

Does anyone know of any jobs/internships/volunteer positions for the summer that involve caving? i'm a college freshman and i currently reside in the pacific northwest, although ill be in Georgia over the summer. any help would be appreciated.

Paul Siegel
Paul Siegel
NSS#55641
PaulSiegel
Occasional Poster

Location: College in Tacoma, Washington by way of Atlanta, Ga

JOBS

Postby speloman » Oct 2, 2005 6:38 pm

Ahhhh Jobs that involve Caving. An ultimate job that would be so awesome. Have you tried contacting a tour cave in your area or maybe BLM? It is worth a shot I don't know of any but it would be a awesome job.
Justin Gleason 48217RE
:looking: If you can't grow it, I mine it.
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Postby click23 » Oct 7, 2005 9:29 am

Here is a link to the National Caves Associations website. They have a large list of commercial caves, but none in Georgia. When I was in high school I worked as a tour guide at the Lost Sea in Sweetwater, Tennessee( between Chattanooga and Knoxville). Chattanooga has Ruby Falls and Raccoon Mountain. But there are no BLM areas in this part of the country that I know of. In north east Alabama there is Russell Cave National Monument. I had the most fun of my life while I was a tour guide.
click23
New Poster

Caving jobs.

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 7, 2005 8:56 pm

Hey Speleoman, if you're serious, there's a new job that just came up...in Sequoia, California. Contact Joel Despain about it. He started down at the bottom and has worked himself into a nice job, so...there's another one up for you. If you need more info, contact me on email. :lol:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PaulSiegel » Oct 7, 2005 11:35 pm

i was hoping to get into the research side of caves. as much fun as showing off caves to bored tourists would be i rather be learning something of use, relatively speaking...
Paul Siegel
NSS#55641
PaulSiegel
Occasional Poster

Postby speloman » Oct 8, 2005 12:07 am

That would be awsome but I couldn't quit my job. I am a mechanic at a mine here in elko and I make good money ( So I can buy more gear) ;) and pay bills :( But darn that would be great. Thanks so much for the offer though. The cool thing bout working at the mine is that I am on the rescue team and am kept up to par on my rope skills and I get paid for it :) so that works out. I remember going to a tour cave in arizona and I kinda taken over the tour. I explained how caves formed and the differnt types of formations, and she described the history of the cave. and I got to pay $12.00 but it was cool. I don't go to tour caves that often and it was a good introduction for my wife. but I will stop yapping. Thanks for letting me know about that. maybe if I am up in your area we can do some caving I havent done much caving outside of Nevada. Well talk at you later
Justin Gleason 48217RE
:looking: If you can't grow it, I mine it.
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 8, 2005 11:07 am

Howdy, again! That's a bummer, but understand totally. It's just that when Joel got his job, it was a dream come true...and now a second dream for some fortunate caver, who will really be an asset to Joel.

I assume you might know Doc, but...if not, here's some info for a great guy, who works at the mine, also. Which mine, though, I'm not sure of:

Doc Kellenbarger
775-777-9780
kellen@ctnis.com (home)
dkellenbarger@bgmi.com ( work)

Doc thoroughly loves New Zealand and their caves, so...you might hook up with he and his son, in doing some great caving in NV...and in KiWi land.

Ernie :D
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby CaveStar » Oct 12, 2005 1:31 pm

Hey, if you're going to school "in the pacific northwest" where would that be?

Perhaps you would enjoy caving with a local grotto (if you are not already doing so). Even at this time of year, caving is possible because there are some low-altitude caves that can be visited even in the colder months.
CaveStar
Infrequent Poster

Going to school in Tacoma

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 12, 2005 1:38 pm

According to the first message, it says that Paul attends school in Tacoma, so....guess that qualifies for northwest caving, also!
:lol:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PaulSiegel » Oct 12, 2005 3:39 pm

i go to school at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, thing is i dont have time for the 2 hour bus ride to the cascade grotto meetings. if someone could give a poor college student a ride...
Paul Siegel
NSS#55641
PaulSiegel
Occasional Poster

Postby Casper » Oct 12, 2005 5:26 pm

http://www.thesca.org/

This organization has internships all over the country. I did one a few years ago and got to get in some really cool caves at the same time
Casper
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 52370

Postby CaveStar » Oct 12, 2005 8:56 pm

Contact the Cascade grotto through the NSS entry pages, and I think the http://www.cascadegrotto.org homepage might have a way to contact Cascade grotto as well.

There are a number of southend members, so if you send a message asking that the grotto secretary pass on your request to the grotto as a whole, it is likely that when people read your message, something could be arranged.

Washington State is one of the larger states and unavoidably, those located farther from the meeting site do spend some time getting there. But it's worth it for the fellowship, learning and caving opportunities.

When a grotto's membership is very spread out, usually the close-in people make most of the meetings, and people farther away may not make all meetings but they make enough to stay in touch, they watch the board for trips, and they share questions and knowledge and just conversation over the board. As long as you are consistent in having some level of ongoing involvement, nobody is going to say, well, that guy isn't much of a member because he's not here every time. People are realistic.

The grotto is very welcoming, so do not hesitate to make contact. The next meeting is October 21. Pizza always follows.
CaveStar
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum