Complete and Utter Caving Newbie

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Complete and Utter Caving Newbie

Postby Dreadnok_Creekmud » Aug 28, 2006 4:44 pm

Hello, I am Dreadnok Creekmud, you can just call me Creekmud. I (as my subject title says) am a complete and utter caving newbie. I have always had a fascination with caves and such, my favorite field trip I ever had was to Dixie Caverns. I live in a sort of tiny valley and in the mountains on both sides and in the mountains are...well not really caves just sort of large divets and as a kid I loved playing in them. So I would appreciate any information you can give me on caving, I've been searching for yet a new hobby and luckily came across the Wikipedia's caving article.
Dreadnok_Creekmud
New Poster

Postby Mike Cato » Sep 5, 2006 10:44 am

Someone cue the "Join-the-Grotto Bot".

:laughing:
Mike Cato
Mike Cato
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 51489
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville SCCi

Postby Eve » Sep 5, 2006 9:28 pm

You know, we have a FAQ but it is about the chat site specifically ... should we consider having a FAQ of caving-related questions? [/hijack]
Eve
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 50678
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Re: Complete and Utter Caving Newbie

Postby CaverScott » Sep 6, 2006 7:01 am

Dreadnok_Creekmud wrote:Hello, I am Dreadnok Creekmud, you can just call me Creekmud. I (as my subject title says) am a complete and utter caving newbie... .

Welcome Creekmud! We are glad to have you here.

This caving thing can be addictive though. I made my first trip back in 1978. :shock: Get out now, while you can still save yourself! :laughing:

You might want to check out these brochures:

http://caves.org/brochure/
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Welcome

Postby pacaver » Sep 6, 2006 3:50 pm

Hi Dreadnock, I guess I'll be the Grotto-bot today. If you want to go caving, the people to hook up with are the local grottos of the National Speleogical Society. I believe Dixie Caverns are in Virginia, so here's a link to some Virginia grottos:

http://www.caves.org/io/iolookup.php?state=VA

Virginia is one of the better caving states along with West Virginia, Kentucky, and TAG(Tennessee Alabama Georgia) which are in your region. My state (PA) has lower grade ore(smaller and fewer caves) so I tend to try to get on trips to the good stuff like where you live when I get the chance.

Hope you have a great time underground! :grin:
Kevin Dunleavy
York Grotto
MAKC
SCCI
NSS
pacaver
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 47644

Return to Caver Introductions