A dangerous hobby if untrained

Questions, techniques, gear, safety. Also visit the NSS Cave Diving Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby JohnL » Sep 2, 2006 7:15 pm

ok thanks, I will give that one a test drive, btw you wouldn't know the ISBN number off the top of your head would you?
Former member of the flashlight community
JohnL
Occasional Poster

Postby Cindy Butler » Sep 3, 2006 4:49 am

You can also try "The Cave Divers", it covers the history of Cave Diving, how accident analysis got started and some of the mental makeup of cave divers. I think "Beyond the deep" is a great book that melds caving and cave diving together, not to mention it's just a good read! Both books are online or can be bought at the Cave Diving Museum and Library. http://www.overheadtimes.com
The NSS and the NSS-CDS have Cavern's meaureless to man and other books by Sheck Exley.
I'm not into wreck diving. Too much money, too much work and you get to be part of the food chain. Give me a silty, nasty duck weed choaked sink hole anyday! Cindy :D
Cindy Butler
Occasional Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Sep 3, 2006 8:46 am

JohnL wrote:ok thanks, I will give that one a test drive, btw you wouldn't know the ISBN number off the top of your head would you?

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Last-Dive-Father-Descent-Depths/dp/0060932597/sr=1-1/qid=1157291272/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-7747099-5462202?ie=UTF8&s=books">Here's a link to the book on Amazon.com</a>
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby Squirrel Girl » Sep 3, 2006 8:59 am

Don't forget to support "our own":
Speleobooks
or
NSS Cave Diving Books
or
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby DeWayne » Sep 3, 2006 11:01 am

Cindy Butler wrote:You can also try "The Cave Divers", it covers the history of Cave Diving, how accident analysis got started and some of the mental makeup of cave divers. I think "Beyond the deep" is a great book that melds caving and cave diving together, not to mention it's just a good read! Both books are online or can be bought at the Cave Diving Museum and Library. http://www.overheadtimes.com
The NSS and the NSS-CDS have Cavern's meaureless to man and other books by Sheck Exley.
I'm not into wreck diving. Too much money, too much work and you get to be part of the food chain. Give me a silty, nasty duck weed choaked sink hole anyday! Cindy :D

The Cave Divers is a great read; sort of like a collection of short stories so it can be read out of order without detracting from it. Beyond the Deep is one of the best reads I have laid my hands on in a long time; it was one of those books that once I got started I did not put it down until I was finished with it. Buying them through the CDML helps support a worthy cause.
Gobwats
DeWayne
Frequent Poster

Name: DeWayne Hyatt PhD
NSS #: NSS# 53694
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CDS GCG

Postby Squirrel Girl » Sep 3, 2006 11:11 am

DeWayne wrote:Beyond the Deep is one of the best reads I have laid my hands on in a long time
Blush. Though I'm not sure it's something that dispells the concept of cave diving being dangerous.

DeWayne wrote:Buying them through the CDML helps support a worthy cause.
Oh, yeah.

Go, rah, yeah, CAVE DIVING MUSEUM!

And it confuses me, but the url for the CDM (CDML = CDM Library) is http://www.overheadtimes.com/
Somehow the Overhead Times sounds more like a newpaper than a clever url for a museum for diving in an overhead environment.
:tonguecheek:
All too clever for me!
:doh:
But, I too, think they're worthy, and highly support purchasing stuff from them, too!
:woohoo:
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby DeWayne » Sep 3, 2006 11:29 am

Yeah, those descriptions about the drive down there were fairly hair raising (I am a firm believer that the most dangerous aspect of the sport is the drive to and from the caves.)

The overhead times was originally an ill fated attempt at an online cave diver's magazine. It got off to a good start but soon faded into the never reaches of the internet. The owner graciously donated the domain and server space to the museum once it got up and running.
Gobwats
DeWayne
Frequent Poster

Name: DeWayne Hyatt PhD
NSS #: NSS# 53694
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CDS GCG

Postby WillemII » Oct 16, 2006 3:59 pm

Wayne Harrison wrote:
<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Last-Dive-Father-Descent-Depths/dp/0060932597/sr=1-1/qid=1157291272/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-7747099-5462202?ie=UTF8&s=books">Here's a link to the book on Amazon.com</a>
...the kind of book you read in 1 go!
Absolutely breath-taking....(ha ha ha !) also for non-divers!
WillemII
Infrequent Poster

Postby Morgan » Nov 22, 2006 4:00 pm

I've read all of the above - Beyond the Deep is my favorite, lots of way-out-there vertical caving and sump diving. There are few enough books on cave diving that it's not too much of a project to read all of them.

Oddly enough, Tracy and I took up diving after reading The Last Dive when it first came out. Within a month of reading a book where both of the main characters are killed diving, we were in an open water class. Having been cavers since the early 1980's, diving naturally led to cave diving.
We've only been diving caves for a couple years, and just got full cave certified a couple months ago. It's hard to tell where reading a book might lead you....Oh No! She just brought home a book on skydiving!

OK - false alarm - it's a cookbook...

Mike
Morgan
New Poster

Previous

Return to Cave Diving Forum