Welcome bats to your yard

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Welcome bats to your yard

Postby Wayne Harrison » Aug 12, 2006 10:46 am

Ann's Organic Garden: Welcome bats to your yard, but don't let them live in your attic

By ANN LOVEJOY
SPECIAL TO THE SEATTLE POST-INDEPENDENT

A dear friend from Nashville recently wrote, "For the past three summers, an animal has left its scat every day in the exact same spot, which happens to be on the left-hand side of the back door. Initially, we analyzed it as an insect eater, since insect parts were clearly visible. We decided it was probably an opossum, because we had spotted a family of them in the garden several times and we had read that they are creatures of habit.

"About a month ago we arrived home to find a bat clinging to our back door! We love bats, and since the guano is so good for the garden, I decided to collect it, rather than try to move him. I hung a decorative table crumb sweeper on the wall and now every morning I get to decide which deserving plant will receive this delightful treat. Don't you just love recycling!"

<a href="http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nwgardens/280672_lovejoy12.html">Full Story</a>
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Return to Speleology Forum