new caver here!

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

new caver here!

Postby full_house » Jul 31, 2006 1:09 am

My name is Jon. I live just east of Atlanta, and being pretty new to this business I'm always looking for trips to tag along on to add to my resume. I'm 35 and stumbled into caving almost by chance.
My sister and I took a day trip to Pigeon Mountain to do some sightseeing - and to check out the rock climbing scene up top. I had heard there were some caves around in the area, so we took some lights 'just in case'. I knew enough not to expect any signs showing us the way, but we looked around anyway. As fate would have it, we parked and started up a nature trail only to find out it was the trail to Pettijohns Cave. :kewl: Do ya'll remember the feeling you got the first time you walked up to a hole in th ground and thought, "I'm about to go in that?" I jumped right in and have loved it since. Pettyjohns is the only cave I've been in so far, but we've gone in 4 times now and push our route every time. I can't get enough. I'm still looking for new caves up there - but until I hook up with someone who knows more than I - well....there's lots of Pettyjohns left to see. Hope to see some of ya'll around! :boxing:
full_house
Infrequent Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Jul 31, 2006 7:46 am

Jon,

Welcome to the forum and to caving. The best way to learn more about caves is by joining a local grotto/chapter of the NSS. You are in a good spot for that, too. Check out http://www.caves.org for names of grottos near you.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby wendy » Jul 31, 2006 8:02 am

Hey and welcome,

The Dogwod City GrottoI think will be the closest caving grotto to you. A grotto is a caving club. You can get contact info from the link that Phil posted. The Atlanta area has a a lot of great people who go caving.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby graveleye » Jul 31, 2006 9:19 am

The DCG meeting is tomorrow night in fact at REI on I-85 and Clairmont Rd. We're having an auction which should be pretty cool. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it or not, but I'll probably be there. Come on out and check us out!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby full_house » Jul 31, 2006 5:21 pm

I also want to add that I'd love to help on any surveying trips - I have a masters degree in math if that helps. (?) Mostly, though, any excuse to stay underground longer works for me. :pray:
Thanks for the warm welcome everybody!
full_house
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions