2006 NSS Convention, August 7 to 11, Bellingham, Washington

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

No consignment sales

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jul 13, 2006 4:16 pm

Right now there is not going to be a Consignment Sales at the 2006 convention. No space at the inn, as it were.

Some of us are lobbying, "You CAN'T NOT have Consignment Sales." There is a small chance that lobbying will change it so we have consignment sales.

Many grottoes and other organizations count on CS. Check out the discussion:

http://www.nss2006.com/msgboard/

Tell your local cavers and find out if this is a concern for them!

I'm absolutely sure that the convention workers are working their little butts off to make this convention happen as best they can. But no Consignment Sales, no spa, and no alchohol in the campground. What's convention coming to.
:sad:
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Re: No consignment sales

Postby NZcaver » Jul 14, 2006 1:40 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:Right now there is not going to be a Consignment Sales at the 2006 convention. No space at the inn, as it were.

Some of us are lobbying, "You CAN'T NOT have Consignment Sales." There is a small chance that lobbying will change it so we have consignment sales...

SG - thanks for bringing this over from the Convention message board. :kewl:

Add my name to the consignment sales lobby group. I was hoping to throw a few odds and ends in, and (of course) pick my way through the discarded treasures of others! I'd even be willing to volunteer some time minding the store, although I'll be busy as a regular Convention volunteer too.

Though it's not ideal, I can live with an alcohol-free campground and manage to tolerate no hot tub on site. But there MUST be some way to get consignment sales going... :pray:

Hey - wasn't there some talk of having a Cavechatters gathering at the Convention? I remember it being discussed on the DB months ago, but I can't find it again. :? Anyone interested in that?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jul 14, 2006 4:08 pm

Hey NZ,

Don't tell me, tell the convention folks that you want Consignment Sales.

I have a dorm room, so I don't care myself about the alcohol so much, but attending a drunkfest in the campground at least one night does seem like a requirement for convention.

I'm also getting a little old and fat for the hot tub, but it's traditionally another important convention feature. I was hoping to go this year.

Sigh....

Anyway, yeah, anybody else going to convention? Surely the CaveChat party will be more than just NZ and SG. We need to pick a night and time and all. No baloney sandwiches this time, I hope!
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby NZcaver » Jul 14, 2006 10:27 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:Hey NZ,

Don't tell me, tell the convention folks that you want Consignment Sales.

I'm doing that too. I posted here so other Cavechatters and Convention-goers know you're not just a lone voice in the wilderness. :wink:

So, the CaveChat party - any ideas, any interest, anybody else...? :question:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Kel » Jul 15, 2006 10:26 am

I'll be there. How can I help?
Kel Thomas
NSS 57559
Permian Basin Speleological Society
Kel
Infrequent Poster

Postby van » Jul 19, 2006 11:24 pm

Consignment Sales are ON!

We had a vendor cancel, opening up a room. Russ Kennedy - who has run many a Consignment Sales before - has volunteered to run it this year. So it's ON.

It might not be "on" every day, because we don't contol access to the room. University staff will unlock the room every morning and lock it again late afternoon. If we don't have enough volunteers to keep the room staffed on a given day, the room will stay locked that day.

SO: Bring your stuff to sell, and bring your stuff buy AND your body to take a shift behind the counter. The more people we have taking shifts, the more days we can have it open.

Russ wants to shoot for Mon-Wed-Fri because they're the busiest days. So far we have volunteers enough for two days. Please contact both me and Russ (he's in the Member's Manual too). Or sign up when you get to Bellingham - look for signup sheets, or track down Sam Killian, our Volunteer Coordinator.

Van - Vice Chair
van
Infrequent Poster

Painted Cave Belize paper to be presented at Convention

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jul 24, 2006 8:47 am

Hello Wayne--

We will be presenting a paper on The Painted Cave in Belize in the International exploration session at the NSS convention. The paper was written by Dr. Polly Peterson and Dr. Jamie Awe and presented at the SAA meeting ( Society for American Archaeology) last April.

David and Eleanor Larson
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Previous

Return to Caver Events