disassembly of suunto instruments

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

disassembly of suunto instruments

Postby rchrds » Jul 9, 2006 10:42 pm

Hey gang- I have a top bezel type dual suunto instrument and after only a few wet trips it has gotten so much water between the top plastic bezel assembly and the actual instrument that the line and the numbers are all now impossible to read.

I know this has come up before, does someone know how to disassemble the suunto instruments? I have the tiny set screws out, but I'm not sure which way the dials come out, from the front or the rear? Is the plate with the cotangent chart a cover that just pops off?

Thanks!

J
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Re: disassembly of suunto instruments

Postby cob » Jul 10, 2006 5:43 pm

rchrds wrote:Hey gang- I have a top bezel type dual suunto instrument and after only a few wet trips it has gotten so much water between the top plastic bezel assembly and the actual instrument that the line and the numbers are all now impossible to read.

I know this has come up before, does someone know how to disassemble the suunto instruments? I have the tiny set screws out, but I'm not sure which way the dials come out, from the front or the rear? Is the plate with the cotangent chart a cover that just pops off?

Thanks!

J

Wow. You are either a really brave man, or very poor. I just send mine back to suunto. sorry, no advice here.
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rchrds » Jul 10, 2006 7:04 pm

[quote="cob
Wow. You are either a really brave man, or very poor. I just send mine back to suunto. sorry, no advice here.[/quote]

Thanks for the help- :doh: I've already paid more than 200 for the instruments- I'm not willing to pay more to Suunto to reassemble a device that is designed poorly (i.e. not inherently waterproof) and just wait two more trips for it to happen again.

J
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Postby Darklight » Jul 10, 2006 7:48 pm

I always just take to mine with some tools till they fall apart! I have generally run a small bead of silicon adhesive carefully around the eyepiece and liberally around the seam between the housing and card. Also around the bottom plate. This makes them practically impervious to water, while comfortably voiding the warranty! When water does get in, I just dry out on the AC vent and reapply sealant. It's a great feeling knowing you can dunk one to clean mud off and not have to worry.

I do have one that needs repairing (cracked card). What address do you all send them to?
C.G. Anderson
http://www.darklightimagery.net
http://www.pbase.com/darklightimagery
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WCCSG/

"I've done things God should have questioned, but I don't care".
Darklight
Prolific Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jul 10, 2006 8:41 pm

I heard that it may not be worth sending them back to Suunto. Repairs apparently cost almost as much as a new one. Although I hate the idea of replacing something rather than repairing it, you can often pick up near-new (non caved-with) Suuntos on eBay. The Tandems go for around $100. Or you can figure out how to repair your one, and then set up a sideline business servicing them for others. :wink:

I have the now-phased-out Suunto Twin. It's also non-sealed - such a silly idea. I try to keep it fairly dry in-cave, but at least it will de-fog back to normal if I leave it out to dry after a trip. I might have to try that waterproofing trick. Hmmm, I wonder if Shoe Goo would work...? :?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby rchrds » Jul 10, 2006 8:54 pm

Arrggh! has noone every taken one apart? :hairpull:
haha- I'm about to tear it apart just to see how it was assembled!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

J
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Postby tropicalbats » Jul 10, 2006 9:10 pm

rchrds wrote:Arrggh! has noone every taken one apart? :hairpull:
haha- I'm about to tear it apart just to see how it was assembled!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

J

I've never taken apart one like yours, but I assume it is just like the individual Suuntos. They come apart by applying Godlike pressure to the plastic insert from the top, ie, they pop out the side where you can't see the plastic. The instinct is to press down really hard with your thumb, but it's preferred to find something vaguely ring-shaped and apply even pressure not from the center. They can be frustrating to put back together, but again, it's doable. Just make sure you test the compass on two fixed points before and after repairing it, as they can get a degree or more off if you don't put them back exactly where they came apart (sharpie line helps to match them up, but can get wiped off during the grunting phase of opening and closing them).

Cheers,

Keith
tropicalbats
Prolific Poster

Postby rchrds » Jul 10, 2006 9:28 pm

Thanks Kieth! I'm off to the lathe to make a ring fitting and then to the arbor press! Goodie!

:kewl:
:banana:
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Postby Darklight » Jul 11, 2006 4:08 pm

Yes! Shoe Goo works, though it tends to get brittle after a while. I switched to silicone sealant (clear) and it has remained much more flexible over time. Plus, it is much easier to peel off and reapply. Shoe Goo will never completely come off.

NZcaver wrote: Hmmm, I wonder if Shoe Goo would work...? :?
C.G. Anderson
http://www.darklightimagery.net
http://www.pbase.com/darklightimagery
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WCCSG/

"I've done things God should have questioned, but I don't care".
Darklight
Prolific Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jul 11, 2006 5:29 pm

Darklight wrote:Yes! Shoe Goo works, though it tends to get brittle after a while. I switched to silicone sealant (clear) and it has remained much more flexible over time. Plus, it is much easier to peel off and reapply. Shoe Goo will never completely come off.

Thanks, DL! :kewl:

Appreciate the advice. I have taken to using Shoe Goo for repairing and reinforcing all sorts of stuff - cave suits, packs, kneepads, boots, the cables on my flashgun slaves, etc. But I'll probably get some clear silicone for the Suunto.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby cob » Jul 11, 2006 7:28 pm

rchrds wrote:[quote="cob
Wow. You are either a really brave man, or very poor. I just send mine back to suunto. sorry, no advice here.

Thanks for the help- :doh: I've already paid more than 200 for the instruments- I'm not willing to pay more to Suunto to reassemble a device that is designed poorly (i.e. not inherently waterproof) and just wait two more trips for it to happen again.

J[/quote]

Glad to be of help!!

I understand your frustration,... and your quandary, but face it... caves are a harsh environment, they eat sh*t up. We just have to deal with it.

On the "darker side" I was on a cave trip once where 17 out of 21 lights failed!

tom
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby STLCaver » Jul 12, 2006 8:07 pm

Or you could just by a waterproof compass like the Brunton 80. Then you do not have to worry about getting it wet. It does light from the bottom which takes some getting used to if you have been using those god awful suunto's. Now if they would just make a waterproof clino.....
STLCaver
Occasional Poster

Name: Tony Schmitt
NSS #: 36269 RL-FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MVG-CRF

Postby rchrds » Jul 12, 2006 11:24 pm

STLCaver wrote:Or you could just by a waterproof compass like the Brunton 80. Then you do not have to worry about getting it wet. It does light from the bottom which takes some getting used to if you have been using those god awful suunto's. Now if they would just make a waterproof clino.....

They do- It's called a pocket transit- and that's what I've started using more and more- it's nice to not have to get behind the instrument to read the numbers- I can view it from the top and the whole thing is pretty mud proof- or at least it works a crapload better than any suunto or clone I've used, and that's been most of them, unfortunately. The pocket transits arent quite as quick to read, and you cant just hand it to someone who has never read instruments, but it sure is a lot more convenient and cave friendly.

J
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Return to Equipment Forum