What do you want in a grotto website?

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

What do you want in a grotto website?

Postby bsignorelli » Jun 24, 2006 4:09 pm

What do you want to see when you visit your grotto website? After perusing a whole lotta grotto websites I've come to the conclusion that they all follow a similar template.

Typical sections include: Who we are, Meetings, Membership, Photos

What else would you like to see on your grotto website? I ask because we are in the process of collecting ideas for our website :-)
Bryan Signorelli
Little Rock Grotto
bsignorelli
Prolific Poster

Re: What do you want in a grotto website?

Postby mgmills » Jun 24, 2006 7:58 pm

bsignorelli wrote:What do you want to see when you visit your grotto website? After perusing a whole lotta grotto websites I've come to the conclusion that they all follow a similar template.

What else would you like to see on your grotto website? I ask because we are in the process of collecting ideas for our website :-)

I like those that recognize that not everyone has a high-speed connection. :hairpull: I have a dial-up connection and I like thumbnail pics that load quickly with the option to click on those that interest me.

Make sure the pictures depict save and conservation oriented caving practices. I hate seeing a picture of unsafe vertical practices or pictures of people touching formations. :cave softly:

In the who we are section it is nice to list contact info and current officers. It is also nice to discuss projects that the grotto has participated in.

A safety statement and info on ethical caving practices (conservation, asking permission to visit, etc) is a good idea.

Links to other sites of interest are good too.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby wendy » Jun 24, 2006 8:59 pm

I think the FSS has a nice website

http://www.caves.com/fss
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby graveleye » Jun 26, 2006 7:45 am

I agree with you Wendy. The FSS website is pretty darn good.

I like trip reports, especially well written trip reports that describe all aspects of the trip with a dash of humor.. doesnt even matter if its inside humor. I enjoy reading a good trip report where I can get a feeling for the spirit and comradery of the group. Good pictures are nice too.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Kel » Jul 14, 2006 11:25 am

I would enjoy non-caving 'trip' reports, as well. For example, a report on presentations of ethical caving to non-cavers or school kids, and the responses.
And maybe a "Member of the Month" section or a series about the history of the grotto.
Kel Thomas
NSS 57559
Permian Basin Speleological Society
Kel
Infrequent Poster

Postby hunter » Jul 14, 2006 2:49 pm

A well researched links section can be really nice...

Just a word of warning on officer info. I did notice that when my email was listed on a website as an office for a club I ended up getting a great deal of junk mail. Some spammers use automated search tools to find and then spam listed emails... Some trickery can help reduce this issue.

James Hunter
hunter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: What do you want in a grotto website?

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jul 14, 2006 5:20 pm

bsignorelli wrote:What do you want to see when you visit your grotto website? After perusing a whole lotta grotto websites I've come to the conclusion that they all follow a similar template.

I like how the Utah websites are put together... I think more photos are always a plus and sized nicely too. Just looking at thumbnails or small pics doesn't give the full appreciation of the caves and the people.
Historical data is nice... to know more about this or that cave.
Present projects that are either on-going or of special note (clean ups, gating, etc.).
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby copelandcaver7 » Apr 20, 2007 3:46 am

Websites that are updated more than once a Year, is a big thing. A lot of grotts never updated their websites.
copelandcaver7
Occasional Poster

Postby Dane » Apr 20, 2007 7:48 am

On the technical side, we use the "MediaWiki" engine - this enables members to add, edit, update, etc info on the site.
If you are familar with Wikipedia, it is from the same people and is really ideal for this kind of application.
If it isn't up to date, there are no pic's or trip reports, etc, it is our own fault.
I think it is great concept and I believe it takes a lot of the day-to-day tasks off the plate of a single webmaster, allowing them to focus on technical issues that may arise.
Dane
"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed."
http://www.myspace.com/daneinchattanooga
Dane
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dane
NSS #: 57919
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Postby David Grimes » Oct 22, 2007 9:12 pm

I like to see typical things like who we are, current projects, photos, an up to date calendar, contact info, and membership info
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby subter » Oct 23, 2007 7:08 pm

i second copelandcaver7... just update the darn thing. Give me a reason to visit it more than once. I also agree with graveleye... having trip reports, especially current ones, can alert other cavers to changes or hazards in a cave that perhaps didn't exist before... the other thing, which is much more difficult to control is participation.. what we have here on cavechat is indeed rare. my .02
subter
Frequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: DCG

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Oct 23, 2007 8:04 pm

totally year-old thread, dude
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby tncaver » Oct 24, 2007 9:59 am

Updated grotto websites are what keeps the interest
going, as well as upcoming trips that offer an opportunity
for new cavers to participate.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

what a website can consist

Postby Leclused » Oct 31, 2007 9:04 am

In our Caving club (sc Avalon - Belgium) we try to provide information via several ways.

We have our website http://www.scavalon.be which consist of all classic information + cave infomation for belgium, information about our discoveries and expeditions, technical information, conservation information, picture galeries, access regulation, links. This infomation is relativly static and is updated from time to time.

For the daily infomation about discoveries and other cave related things we use a blog where everybody of our club can post on

scavalon.blogspot.com

The blog is very flexible and fast way of providing information.

We also have a club magazine (roughly every 6 weeks) which is also
published on our website.

http://www.scavalon.be/avalonuk/avalon_flash.htm (sorry only in dutch)

I think this is a good start for providing information to the outside world.

BR

Dagobert L'Ecluse (Sc Avalon - Belgium)
Leclused
Prolific Poster

Postby NZcaver » Oct 31, 2007 10:48 am

Welcome, leclused! :waving:

Great website - lots of good information, and some fantastic photos. :kewl:

I love your trophy for exceptional team-spirit and effort (it's made from a piece of limestone and a stack of totally worn pulleys from Petzl descenders).
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Next

Return to Publications