Requirements for caving lights

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Requirements for caving lights

Postby Zera » Aug 19, 2019 4:34 am

Never been to a cave before. As a flashaholic, I am very curious what are the special requirements that a light or headlamp should have, so that it can be use for caving.

Please advise, Thanks.
Zera
New Poster

Re: Requirements for caving lights

Postby bobby49 » Aug 19, 2019 6:44 pm

There is no hard list of requirements. Each caver puts a different priority on flashlight features.

In no particular order, I would list these:
1. Waterproof
2. Highly reliable
3. Lightweight
4. It must operate on a relatively common battery, preferably rechargeable such as a type 18650, with no dangling wires

In addition, I prefer a headlamp style light that can be easily mounted on the front of my helmet. I prefer a flood beam, not a spot beam. I prefer a light with selectable intensity levels. I prefer a light with very high efficiency. I prefer a mostly-metal headlamp with the switch on the right side, since I am righthanded.

As a result, I use a Zebralights headlamp. I normally carry one or more spare batteries in my cave suit, and a complete spare headlamp in my cave pack.

Some people complain that it is too easy to accidentally hit the switch and turn it on. Easy remedy: back off the end cap so that the battery cannot fully engage. Then twist it tight when you want.
bobby49
Prolific Poster

Return to Equipment Forum