Bridge Day

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Bridge Day

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 27, 2005 6:37 pm

Looks like the NPS is will require BASE jumpers to purchase a $1,000,000 liability policy next year. The jumpers successfully lobbied to have it waived this year. Here's the article: LINK.

I bet they will require the same of rappellers next year too. Expect fees to go up, again. Makes me wonder if there will even be a Bridge Day in a few years. That would be a huge blow to the communities surrounding the bridge that depend on the money the 100,000 visitors bring each year. I hope the NPS lawyers don't kill this event.

BD is a one day festival held at the New River Gorge Bridge in Fayetteville, WV. They close the 876' high bridge to traffic and let pedestrians walk on it, BASE jumpers jump off it and rappellers rappel from it. The rappelling is very popular with cavers.

This year it will be held on Oct 15.
http://www.officialbridgeday.com/
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Re: Bridge Day

Postby caver53396 » Sep 28, 2005 3:25 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:I bet they will require the same of rappellers next year too. Expect fees to go up, again.
http://www.officialbridgeday.com/

They make Benjy get insurance for the rappellers. That why the cost has gone up so much over the past few years.
It went up $25 per team and $30 per person from last year. That is the main reason I decided not to do it again this year. I can go to Whitesides anytime the falcons are not there and do not have to go through all the headaches involved with security for Bridge Day.

This same thing is happening with caving events. The site owners are requiring insurance which has added around $650 to the cost of Capers each of the past 2 years.

Blame the sue happy country we live in where an 84 year-old woman who did not know coffee was hot spilled it in her lap. She got millions for because of a burn.

Mark

[Edited by moderator to remove offensive reference]
caver53396
Infrequent Poster

Postby mikedowden » Sep 28, 2005 6:39 pm

Be carefull Mark, I think that comment might be a little close to the edge .

Heck, I was referring to a cat.
mikedowden
Infrequent Poster

Postby Dangerjudy » Sep 28, 2005 7:41 pm

Ahem - the lawsuit about McDonalds' coffee was actually valid -
http://lawandhelp.com/q298-2.htm
http://www.osmond-riba.org/lis/essay_mcdonalds.htm

"The woman involved in this infamous case suffered very serious injuries - third degree burns on her groin, thighs and buttocks that required skin grafts and a seven-day hospital stay."

"The woman, an 81-year old former department store clerk who had never before filed suit against anyone, said she wouldn't have brought the lawsuit against McDonald's had the Corporation not dismissed her request for compensation for medical bills."

There are so many truly ridiculous lawsuits out there, it's a shame that the McDonalds' coffee one keeps being an example when in fact the lady had cause to sue.
Birmingham Grotto, NSS 49720. "I reserve the right to be ridiculous." bono
Dangerjudy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49720
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham Grotto

Postby caver53396 » Sep 29, 2005 9:32 am

Dangerjudy wrote:Ahem - the lawsuit about McDonalds' coffee was actually valid -

Yeah..OK
You know you those "Facts"in that link take you to a website of a civil liar - I mean lawyer.
This is right off their website:
"Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio, medical malpractice, wrongful death, auto accident and personal injury attorneys and lawyers dedicated to vigorously representing the injured.
So the info must be true???

How about this one http://library.findlaw.com/1999/Nov/1/129862.html

"...79-year old Stella Liebeck was not driving in a car when she was injured. In fact, she was not driving at all. She had gone with her grandson, Chris, to take her son, Jim, to the airport. On the way home, Chris pulled into a McDonald's drive-thru for breakfast. He parked the car so she could add cream and sugar to her coffee. Here's what happened next: Because the car had no cup holders and a slanted dash, Stella testified that she put the cup between her knees and removed the lid. As she did so, the slick styrofoam cup flipped backwards, dumping the scalding liquid into her lap and saturated the cotton sweatsuit which she was wearing."

Maybe they should have sued the automobile maker for faulty designing since they did not give the occupants a safe place to put that coffee.

Who would have know that coffee is really hot and if you set it between your legs, it will burn when it spills. In the end, the old women got millions and McDonalds now labels their cup Extremely Hot. Really!!

I suppose the slack-jawed morons that could not read the side of a pack of cigarettes that clearly states it can cause cancer are just in the millions of dollars they have been awarded.

I just must be a genius, since I have figured this stuff out over the years. Or maybe...I take responsibility for my errors in judgment that causes injury to myself.

In our country, it's always somebody else's fault. It's an ugly trend that is only getting worse. These are extreme examples, but it really is a major root of landowners reluctance to open their lands/caves to cavers. Some do not want the traffic, but most are just protecting themselves from liability.

Mark
caver53396
Infrequent Poster

Move back to the topic

Postby Tim White » Sep 29, 2005 11:06 am

We are getting a bit off topic don't ya' think? :roll:
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby Dangerjudy » Sep 29, 2005 9:38 pm

caver53396, I wouldn't argue if the lady in question hadn't gotten THIRD DEGREE BURNS from a spilled cup of coffee.

That is some hot coffee. Ridiculously hot.

My opinion remains that her lawsuit was valid.
Birmingham Grotto, NSS 49720. "I reserve the right to be ridiculous." bono
Dangerjudy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49720
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham Grotto

Postby caver53396 » Sep 30, 2005 12:03 pm

Dangerjudy wrote:My opinion remains that her lawsuit was valid.

I can live with that. What fun would life be if everybody had the same opinion. :)
caver53396
Infrequent Poster

Law and lawyers

Postby caverjd » Oct 24, 2005 8:22 am

I hate to belabor this McDonald's thing again, but I felt compelled. Of course, people know that generally coffee is hot. But would you know in a fast food drive through that if you spill the coffee, you couldl suffer 3rd degree burns?

You expect coffee to be hot, naturally, but do you expect it to be deadly? No. McDonald's heated it's coffee to extreme temperatures in the brewing and holding process because the hotter the liquid, the more the establishment can squeeze extra coffee out of the same grounds, thus squeezing out even more profits. When McDonalds chose to heat its coffee to such a dangerous level (making an actual decision to NOT inform the public), they intentionally created a dangerous condition.

The woman required vast sums of money for her medical care, surgeries and skin grafts.
caverjd
Infrequent Poster

coffee and false opinions

Postby caverjd » Oct 24, 2005 8:29 am

The “McDonald’s coffeeâ€
caverjd
Infrequent Poster

Postby Tim White » Oct 24, 2005 8:30 am

:off topic: McDonald's coffee HAS NOTHING to do with Bridge Day.

Sorry, but I'm closing this topic.
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Return to On Rope!