Is it art?

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Is it art?

Postby Caver Keith » Oct 22, 2017 10:22 am

The clips that make up this short video were taken in a cave in South Wales called Ogof Ffynnon Ddu on 2nd September 2017.
The first clip is of cavers walking along the entrance passage. Almost no front lighting is used and so the cave passage is revealed only by the cavers' head torches as they progress along it.
This is overlaid with a second clip of water dripping into a calcited pool.
The cavers have been slowed down a little to give them an etherial/ghostly motion and the water drips have been slowed down 10 times to reveal the beauty of the patterns the splashes make.
The effect produced by blending the two sequences together is quite subtle and it may need to be watched a couple of times to appreciate what is going on.

It must be art as it was judged to be the best artwork produced digitally at Hidden Earth 2017.
Caver Keith
Frequent Poster

Name: Keith Edwards
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dudley Caving Club

Re: Is it art?

Postby Steve_S » Oct 22, 2017 4:38 pm

This is so cool!!!
Steve_S
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 61110
Primary Grotto Affiliation: central connecticut grotto

Postby ohiocaver » Oct 26, 2017 8:15 am

Yes, it's art...imagination, creativity, execution...the cave equivalent of a Calder mobile. Or a Jackson Pollock splash-art painting in 3-D and real time. :cave softly:
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Postby Caver Keith » Oct 26, 2017 9:21 am

ohiocaver wrote:Yes, it's art...imagination, creativity, execution...the cave equivalent of a Calder mobile. Or a Jackson Pollock splash-art painting in 3-D and real time. :cave softly:

Thanks. I've had some fantastic feedback from a number of people but it's not universally liked. This video has had a much greater percentage of dislikes than any of my other videos, but then that's art - it's a matter of personal taste.

From UK Caving I got this comment' "Does it not become art when it ceases to be merely representation or decoration and starts to convey a message? This carries a message to me of the permanence of natural wonder against the transience of humans; and that we need nature more than nature needs us. So for me it's art." I couldn't say it better myself. This was my aim when I produced the video and to know that the message it conveyed reached at least one member of the audience it good enough for me.
Caver Keith
Frequent Poster

Name: Keith Edwards
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dudley Caving Club

Return to Photography and Videography Forum