Young Outward Bounder making like Superman to get out

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Young Outward Bounder making like Superman to get out

Postby Ernie Coffman » Aug 7, 2017 8:55 pm

From across the pond, in Bristol, we see where a young Outward Bounder on his first cave trip (Should that be "potholing trip?) got stuck between two large rocks, dubbed "Superman," so he tried getting out the way that was explained to him, and found he was really stuck big time. :yikes: The rescuers chipped away on the rock and finally got him free, but believe he'll think twice about being Superman.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/local ... ves-288835

Putting one arm forward and dragging one arm, we found out many years ago, makes one able to get smaller by an inch so it's a good way in a tight spot. :waving:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Young Outward Bounder making like Superman to get out

Postby BillRigg » Aug 9, 2017 7:47 am

As an amateur caver, this is a great story to use as a warning. I'm sure the tactic of making yourself as two-dimensional as possible is a huge part of safely and successfully caving. Any other tips or tricks you might be willing to share about navigating tight spaces in caves? I'm all ears :grin:
BillRigg
Occasional Poster

Re: Young Outward Bounder making like Superman to get out

Postby David_Weaver » Aug 23, 2017 2:48 pm

Water flows through the constrictions in the cave without problem. I adopt a mental model where I envision "flowing" through the constriction. I try to relax my body and flow through the passage.
David_Weaver
Occasional Poster

Name: David Weaver
NSS #: 53731
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum