Into the depths of Ft. Stanton Cave to Snowy River

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Ernie Coffman » Aug 3, 2014 8:10 pm

What a fantastic story of how the cavers in New Mexico are doing the Ft. Stanton Cave and going deeper and deeper into Snowy River. This brings out some of the history and the exploration of what's going on out there in the west.
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/h ... ba4b2.html
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Into the depths of Ft. Stanton Cave to Snowy River

Postby Extremeophile » Aug 4, 2014 9:45 am

Ernie Coffman wrote:What a fantastic story of how the cavers in New Mexico are doing the Ft. Stanton Cave and going deeper and deeper into Snowy River.

Three teams surveyed 3.3 miles in one week in July. It won't be long before Fort Stanton passes Whigpistle, Blue Spring, Binkleys, Hellhole, ... in length. I expect it will reach #6 in the US within the next couple of years.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby Ernie Coffman » Aug 4, 2014 11:20 am

That's something, Derek. I remember it when we had the stormy convention, there in Tulurusa, back in the eighties. Interesting gate design and all. This article indicated that it's over thirty miles and still going, so that's something. Great diggers! :clap:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby trogman » Aug 4, 2014 12:22 pm

Thanks for sharing the article and photos. Harmony Hall looks spectacular! :kewl:

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby BrianFrank » May 30, 2017 8:05 pm

Is there a website or FB page (that I can't find) that details the latest exploration results of the Snowy River exploration to the public? I can't seem to find any trip reports. I believe the latest explorations in 2014 had pushed SR (the longest cave formation ever discovered) to about 12 miles with no end in site. Yes, I realize that actual stream passage of SR is 12 miles while the cave it is contained in (Ft. Canton Cave) is over 31 miles.

Thanks for any info:-)
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Caving Guru » Jul 28, 2017 2:29 am

Brian, I attended a recent grotto meeting where a member of the Fort Stanton-Snowy River Cave crew gave a presentation on the exploration so far on Fort Stantion-Snowy River Cave. According to him, 2014 was the most recent year that anyone has made it to the farthest point of exploration. At that time, the snowy river was dry. Currently, the stream has water flowing in it. So it may be a long time before anyone reaches the farthest point of exploration again. In order to go back to the farthest reaches explored so far, I am told that the stream must be dry. There are hopes to make another entrance into the cave such as by digging another entrance.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianFrank » Jul 28, 2017 12:21 pm

Thank you!

Caving Guru wrote:Brian, I attended a recent grotto meeting where a member of the Fort Stanton-Snowy River Cave crew gave a presentation on the exploration so far on Fort Stantion-Snowy River Cave. According to him, 2014 was the most recent year that anyone has made it to the farthest point of exploration. At that time, the snowy river was dry. Currently, the stream has water flowing in it. So it may be a long time before anyone reaches the farthest point of exploration again. In order to go back to the farthest reaches explored so far, I am told that the stream must be dry. There are hopes to make another entrance into the cave such as by digging another entrance.
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum