GoPro Light

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

GoPro Light

Postby ohiocaver » Mar 3, 2017 10:27 am

One of the challenges with GoPro video is lighting (sound is a bigger one). I just got a Sunpak LED 16 light for the GoPro. It works with the Hero3+ and Hero4 series. I have not yet used it in a cave (only in a dark house). But it throws a heck of a lot of light. The light lasts about two hours, maybe a tad less. There are three lighting levels. Low is hardly better than a friend with a good Zebra Light. Medium and High are good. The box says 300 lumens.
On the upside, the light setup is waterproof and the light levels work to illuminate scenes. There are 3 levels plus a SOS flashing level.
On the downside, it adds about double the size and weight of a basic GoPro and waterproof case. I don't imagine it will be comfortable to have it attached to my helmet for long. It comes with a dual mounting bracket - one side for the GoPro and one for the flash assembly. Setup was easy.
It has to be recharged from a USB link (ie, to a laptop or similar). I have not yet looked at buying a second battery for mine. Has anyone gone that route or got a different work-around?
Any other tips? :cavechat:
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Re: GoPro Light

Postby GroundquestMSA » Mar 3, 2017 5:08 pm

GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby dano » May 30, 2017 8:37 am

I use GoPro but, honestly saying, I am not a huge fan of this camera. Could you recommend me sth else? The price is not a problem.
To want to, is to be able to.
dano
Infrequent Poster

Name: Daniel Dancu

Postby captnemo » Jun 14, 2017 5:46 pm

If price is not a problem get one of these http://www.red.com/products/weapon-8k
Seriously though it just depends what you're trying to do. There is always a compromise between cost/size/weight/performance
that you have to consider. I just recently picked up a canon G7 X Mark II because the f1.8-2.8 lens and large sensor give good results in low light,
and I was able to pick up a waterproof housing relatively inexpensively. The olympus TG (tough) series are a good choice if you want a camera you can just throw in your pocket and not worry about it.
Or there's always shooting video with SLR's these days. dpreview is a good site to browse when considering your options, then come back here and ask cavers how a particular model fairs underground :)
captnemo
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 44985
Primary Grotto Affiliation: mother lode grotto

Postby hawfinchlaptop » Oct 19, 2017 1:18 am

captnemo wrote:If price is not a problem get one of these http://www.red.com/products/weapon-8k
Seriously though it just depends what you're trying to do. There is always a compromise between cost/size/weight/performance
that you have to consider. I just recently picked up a canon G7 X Mark II because the f1.8-2.8 lens and large sensor give good results in low light,
and I was able to pick up a waterproof housing relatively inexpensively. The olympus TG (tough) series are a good choice if you want a camera you can just throw in your pocket and not worry about it.
Or there's always shooting video with SLR's these days. dpreview is a good site to browse when considering your options, then come back here and ask cavers how a particular model fairs underground :)

wow, this one is great.
hawfinchlaptop
New Poster

Return to Photography and Videography Forum